Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 02:17 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The things that you listed could happen:
First: the housing market nationally is ready to go bust. A lot of articles on that by people with economic knowledge.
You mention the erosion of all prosperous neighborhoods in the city. Those neighborhoods have been eroding for many years and a housing bust would make it happen much faster. Sure some neighborhoods get better here and there but that doesn't reflect on the whole city.
Some of the prosperous city neighborhoods are more prosperous than ever. Sure, if a major housing bust occurred, then all of that could change, but it would be a national problem reaching into all communities, not just the cities.

Quote:
You stated that if the museums and symphony's move out. When the city goes like Detroit they don't move out they just die in place like in south Philly and Camden N.J.. Same with libraries. They don't move they just shut down can collapse.
Some institutions "move" in the sense that they perform or play more in the places where their clientele has moved to, or where people have more money. Sports franchises do this all the time.

Quote:
The departure of the remaining middle-income and prosperous residents will flee if the economy tanks badly and the housing market goes bust. If these kinds of people move out the office spaces in downtown Milwaukee will be largely empty.
If the larger economy tanks, you may see people flee from the city to the suburbs, but you may also see some suburbanites fleeing to the city.... and everything in between. It will depend on many factors. Can people who want to flee (wherever they live) sell their home to anyone? Afford to break their lease? Afford enough gas and car repairs to live in the burbs? If the crisis is national, where will people go that's any better? How will they get there? What job can they have there?

I don't see cities being worse off than other places in this scenario, and in fact, cities may revive if people drive less and seek out walkable communities.

Same goes for office space. Most places lease and can go elsewhere, but it seems that a few are seeing the city as an advantage and are putting down deeper roots. That could persist or that could change if the economy tanks.

Quote:
All things that you listed could happen if the housing market goes bust, which it its predicted to do, and if we enter into serious times of economic problems
Maybe so, but then the suburbs would also be under siege, loaded with people who struggle with pricey mortgages, few transportation options, and decreased job opportunities.

We could also get a bunch of tornadoes, or a major earthquake, or some other natural disaster. That's the gamble of life.

But so what? The apocalypse hasn't happened yet, and the city continues to be a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 03:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,031 times
The housing market is not going to go bust. This isn't 2006, if anything we are looking at a housing shortage. The number of new homes being built is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago and the percent of population owning a home is down to around 61% vs being renters. In 2006 it was pushing almost 70%, so the market has balanced out. Add to this the US population is growing at 2.5 million people per year.

Low interest rates artificially inflate price, but the Fed isn't going to raise rates in any dramatic fashion, so that won't effect prices. Homes in the US are relatively cheap compared to most of the developed nations. The majority of the US is really downright affordable. Check out home prices in so called depressed nations of southern Europe such as Italy, Spain and Portugal and compare them to the United States. Homes here are a outright steal.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 09-02-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 06:05 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
The housing market is not going to go bust. This isn't 2006, if anything we are looking at a housing shortage. The number of new homes being built is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago and the percent of population owning a home is down to around 61% vs being renters. In 2006 it was pushing almost 70%, so the market has balanced out. Add to this the US population is growing at 2.5 million people per year.

Low interest rates artificially inflate price, but the Fed isn't going to raise rates in any dramatic fashion, so that won't effect prices. Homes in the US are relatively cheap compared to most of the developed nations. The majority of the US is really downright affordable. Check out home prices in so called depressed nations of southern Europe such as Italy, Spain and Portugal and compare them to the United States. Homes here are a outright steal.
But this is Milwaukee. Alot of people who can afford homes in Milwaukee can also afford homes elsewhere and would rather live elsewhere. Compared to other developed nations, housing is more affordable. However, this is not evenly distributed. A house in Milwaukee is certainly going to be more affordable than one in Seattle or San Francisco. In fact, the average house in San Francisco costs about 1.3 million dollars. More people are choosing San Francisco over Milwaukee. More people are choosing Seattle over Milwaukee. Why is that?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:19 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Look where this riot happened. In one of the worst parts of Milwaukee. A better question is this. Why have alot of middle class Blacks left Milwaukee? Last time I checked, it wasn't middle class Blacks and upper class Blacks rioting. Not working class Blacks? These riots were being done by the underclass. Those individuals are those left behind after alot of other people have left.

And in truth, alot has changed since the 1960s. There are less Black families in poverty than back then. More Blacks have college degrees than ever. More Blacks are getting professional jobs than ever. More Blacks are starting businesses now.

This is the thing. We tried total separation. Did not work. The riots were occurring in mostly Black neighborhoods in the 60s, where it was mainly Blacks living in those areas. Separation of the races didn't stop riots.

Truth is, nothing among poor Blacks in Milwaukee has changed. However, the Blacks who had the resources and education to do better for themselves, they left those neighborhoods. An sensible person would look to see how the Black middle class is doing, how Blacks who left those neighborhoods are doing?

Sherman Park is FAR from the worst of Milwaukee's neighborhoods. Not even now. That is pure hyperbole. When I grew up there from the late 70s to the early 90s it WAS the black middle class. It's certainly slid since then but you are completely exaggerating.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 AM

253 posts, read 394,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Sherman Park is FAR from the worst of Milwaukee's neighborhoods. Not even now. That is pure hyperbole. When I grew up there from the late 70s to the early 90s it WAS the black middle class. It's certainly slid since then but you are completely exaggerating.

I have to agree with you on this. When I was growing up during the 80s to early 00s, Sherman Park WAS the neighborhood you aspired to live in as a black person in Milwaukee. I have two family members that still live there, and others who left for the suburbs in 2008. The Sherman Park area as a whole is not some dangerous, gang infested area that Fox 6 and the like have been portraying.

There are some sketchy characters and slumlords that have changed parts of neighborhoods east of Sherman, and some parts are changing for the worse.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 11,988 times
When I'm back home in Milwaukee, I'm in a suburb, so I can't speak with authority on how things are different (if at all) around Sherman Park. In my own experience, things seemed to be pretty back to normal within a few weeks of the events (full disclosure, I rarely watch the news). However, I'm also white, so you wouldn't really expect things to be different for me.

That being said, I do think that there is an overall greater awareness of racial tension. Especially combined with the larger context of this election and all the attention police brutality has been receiving in the last couple years, I think that many people are being more vocal with their racism, and specifically with their anti-blackness. However, I also think that many people are stepping up to discuss the underlying factors that led to the riots. People are speaking about the inequity and segregation in the city and the tension that they foster. This did not happen in a vacuum, and regardless of what happened between the officer and Sylville Smith, there's a reason that people are unhappy and ready to fight back in a hyper-segregated city that routinely tops the list of worst places for black Americans to live.

Also, maybe read up on how legally mandated segregation and apartheid have worked out in the past.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:15 PM

74 posts, read 80,399 times
No, the riots have not changed Milwaukee anymore so than the riots have changed anywhere else. Once the country understands that thugs are criminals, and have to be dealt with as such; and judges sentence them to prison and get them off the streets, some change will come. This of course could be augmented by parents teaching their children to respect the laws and the law enforcers. When a police officer says stop, you stop. Don't argue or be belligerent, just go along with what they say...there is plenty of time after the fact that you can complain if you think your "rights" for being a criminal have been violated. If your not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about.
When judges change and do their job, and parents instill in their children to respect the law, and the liberal media stops glorifying the criminals, and using excuses for criminal behavior, ie: poverty and education, then we can see change.
Funny, I'm not rich, yet I see/feel no reason to burn down someone's business or create a riot...hmmm, maybe I should?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibiloxi View Post
No, the riots have not changed Milwaukee anymore so than the riots have changed anywhere else. Once the country understands that thugs are criminals, and have to be dealt with as such; and judges sentence them to prison and get them off the streets, some change will come. This of course could be augmented by parents teaching their children to respect the laws and the law enforcers. When a police officer says stop, you stop. Don't argue or be belligerent, just go along with what they say...there is plenty of time after the fact that you can complain if you think your "rights" for being a criminal have been violated. If your not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about.
When judges change and do their job, and parents instill in their children to respect the law, and the liberal media stops glorifying the criminals, and using excuses for criminal behavior, ie: poverty and education, then we can see change.
Funny, I'm not rich, yet I see/feel no reason to burn down someone's business or create a riot...hmmm, maybe I should?
Oh please, there is no liberal media & it's not glorifying criminals. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-16-2016 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:09 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibiloxi View Post
OMG, there are people that still believe this??!?!?!

Nothing could be further from the truth, I've seen it first hand MANY times. Heck, even the children of police officers I know understand this is bunk, and their own parents instill it in them to protect them.

Also love how "rights" is in quotes, like they're not real, and how they're called criminals before they've been convicted of a crime.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:35 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,442 times
Now, now, there is a liberal media bias because the word exists. If there wasn't the word it wouldn't exist. The same goes for the words unicorn, leprechauns, and cthulhu all which exist. True fact that Fox NEWS, WISN talk radio and WVCY are all liberal main-stream-media outlets which is why all you hear from them are lies. The only news source you can trust is crazy Ken down the street who gets his news straight from the internet where everything is real and trustworthy.

I'm also glad we've identified that non criminals always do what law enforcement asks and never breaks the laws. Kind of like, those brave patriots Ammon and Ryan Bundy who follow the law to the letter and would never have an armed confrontation with the law. All they wanted to do was help poor children and feed the hungry, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: