Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 08:03 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
When you compare what kind of TV show and movies were shot or based in New Jersey, it's not wholesome like say some Wisconsin shows. This moves a lot of people's perception.

There are very pretty areas of New Jersey but, that doesn't sell and people generally don't go to Jersey for it's nature areas. When I tell people there are black bears in New Jersey, they can't believe it. Certain states have a soft spot in my heart because of my connection to them. NJ is one of them, still love their license plates, they still look cool!

Oh no doubt I will always be a jersey girl no matter what. I have the bumper sticker on the back of my car LOL. While the property taxes are high and newark is still a little crazy lol. Jersey is my home it will always be a part of me. But when you look at it there isnt ANY shows about wisconsin at least for what i know just some actors that are from wisconsin. if you look at it all the action is in chicago, minnesota, and michigan. People pass Wisconsin right up. I've noticed that living here. At this point I am ready to move next year im not used to the weather and such. I've been her 4 years in oakfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 08:09 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:

There are very pretty areas of New Jersey but, that doesn't sell and people generally don't go to Jersey for it's nature areas. When I tell people there are black bears in New Jersey, they can't believe it. Certain states have a soft spot in my heart because of my connection to them. NJ is one of them, still love their license plates, they still look cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3XzIrvFHE

The above happened in New Jersey! I never would have thought it!!

Old 05-15-2020, 06:32 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
There's a lot of dumb people. Northern Jersey is heavily wooded. Driving from from NEPA to Philly or Newark is a similar drive. "Trees, trees, trees...oh, look this metropolis out of nowhere." Right or wrong Jersey does have a bad rap. People usually think I am joking when I tell them I vacation in Newark. When I go to Milwaukee it's more of a curiosity but people are truly perplexed that I'd go to Newark.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:30 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There's a lot of dumb people. Northern Jersey is heavily wooded. Driving from from NEPA to Philly or Newark is a similar drive. "Trees, trees, trees...oh, look this metropolis out of nowhere." Right or wrong Jersey does have a bad rap. People usually think I am joking when I tell them I vacation in Newark. When I go to Milwaukee it's more of a curiosity but people are truly perplexed that I'd go to Newark.
Agreed. I had a customer in Newark and when I first went there was pretty appalled at the area. Ugh! Just like the beginning of the Sopranos.

Then I spent a weekend at the customer's home maybe 45 minutes away in what I would describe as beautiful rural "horse country". Pretty narrow-minded of me, for sure. Certainly there are nasty parts of New Jersey, but the really nice parts aren't far away.

RM

Old 05-16-2020, 07:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
New Jersey gets a bad rap from almost everyone in the USA, and the further away from NJ, the worse the stereotype. It has nothing to do with Wisconsin in particular. I lived in California most of my working career years. In the early 1990s, I took a 3 year job transfer to northern New Jersey (Morris County), about 22 miles due west of mid-town Manhattan. When I told people in California that I was going to New Jersey for 3 years, it was shock and dismay.

I visited Morris County for the job interview, and was pleasantly surprised myself with the area. I thought it would be a good change from California, and I liked the proximity to NYC and the metro area, and the whole northeast corridor. I wanted to do some exploring, and New Jersey turned out to be a good home base for that. I have always been a bicycle rider, and joined a bike club and went on countless long bicycle trips in northern and central NJ along beautiful back roads. Lots of forested hills, small towns, rivers, lakes and terrain that looks nothing like the industrial landscape along the NJ turnpike heading south of Newark.

I agree with the comment above, the typical impression that most people have of New Jersey is what they saw on the Sopranos or any NYC centered TV show that makes fun of their neighbor across the Hudson.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
People moving to Wis is not all that common. I get strange looks too. I tell people we lived in Tx but have recently bought a house and settled in Wis. It doesnt compute because many leave and never come back. Then we tell them we grew up in Wis, and then it makes more sense. Bottom line is, very few move here from other states and those that do dont last. Winters can be brutal.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
People moving to Wis is not all that common. I get strange looks too. I tell people we lived in Tx but have recently bought a house and settled in Wis. It doesnt compute because many leave and never come back. Then we tell them we grew up in Wis, and then it makes more sense. Bottom line is, very few move here from other states and those that do dont last. Winters can be brutal.
Especially northern Wisconsin...

RM

Old 06-06-2020, 06:44 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Yeah the winters throw a lot of people off. Finding a perfect-weather sweet spot can be difficult and expensive though. For some of us, the brutish heat of the southeast is worse than shoveling a little snow now and then.
In Wisconsin, we've only lived near the shores of Lake Michigan and haven't had much in the way of a driveway or sidewalks to shovel so that might contribute to our positive experience. The lake also has a way of making things a little less cold in winter and a little less hot in the summer.
It's about as ideal as I can get without spending more than a lifetime's worth of earnings on a shack on the west coast somewhere, not to mention their unfavorable political leanings. I'd probably miss the snow anyway.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Oh no doubt I will always be a jersey girl no matter what. I have the bumper sticker on the back of my car LOL. While the property taxes are high and newark is still a little crazy lol. Jersey is my home it will always be a part of me. But when you look at it there isnt ANY shows about wisconsin at least for what i know just some actors that are from wisconsin. if you look at it all the action is in chicago, minnesota, and michigan. People pass Wisconsin right up. I've noticed that living here. At this point I am ready to move next year im not used to the weather and such. I've been her 4 years in oakfield.

That 70s Show
Happy Days
Laverne and Shirley

I moved to Wisconsin after undergrad. Loved it.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Yeah the winters throw a lot of people off. Finding a perfect-weather sweet spot can be difficult and expensive though. For some of us, the brutish heat of the southeast is worse than shoveling a little snow now and then.
In Wisconsin, we've only lived near the shores of Lake Michigan and haven't had much in the way of a driveway or sidewalks to shovel so that might contribute to our positive experience. The lake also has a way of making things a little less cold in winter and a little less hot in the summer.
It's about as ideal as I can get without spending more than a lifetime's worth of earnings on a shack on the west coast somewhere, not to mention their unfavorable political leanings. I'd probably miss the snow anyway.
I lived on Lake Michigan for eight years in Port Washington. It was a wonderful place. We didn't put AC in the house until the second year we lived there.

I can recall cutting grass in a T shirt and shorts, the wind doing a 180 and the temperature dropping 10-15 degrees in a matter of minutes. Had to run inside and put some jeans on.

And the tag line with nearly every TV weather forecast, "Cooler by the lake."

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee