Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:19 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times

Advertisements

This article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel features Grebe's Bakery, established 1939.

https://www.jsonline.com/picture-gal...de/3108789001/

This made me think about other longtime bakeries in the area.

A place with Polish origins, National Bakery in Milwaukee's south side was established in 1925:

https://www.nationalbakery.com/About-Us

Peter Sciortino's on Brady Street, a longtime Italian/Italian-American bakery, dates back to 1947:

https://petersciortinosbakery.com/pages/about

Aggie's is a relative newcomer, established in 1977:

https://www.aggiesbakery.com/aggies-history/

Simma's was founded by Russian immigrants around 1982:

https://www.simmasbakery.com/about-us/our-history/

One of my favorites for Italian cookies, Scordato Italian Bakery, has more recent origins, though the founding year is unclear from their "About Us" page:

About Us | Scordato Bakery, Inc.

What are some of the other longtime bakeries in the Milwaukee area? Or what are some of your favorites regardless of how old they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
Empidonax, great post! I grew up on 60th and Locust, and Grebes was on 60th and Center. The pharmacy next tobit had a sit down grill. Remember those????? Ahhhh, the memories!

Scordatos is down the street from where I now live. My whole family loves it. We go in there all the time.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 PM

One of these days I have to go to the actual Grebe's facility-- I've never been! I have been getting their crullers and other goods at a Speedway near where I live, but that's not the same.

You're lucky to live near Scordato's--what a great place. On second thought, maybe it's good I don't live nearby.... I'd go there all the time.

I live down the street from Canfora in Bay View--also a really nice and traditional Italian-American bakery/deli. A lot of these places have gone by the wayside over the years, which is too bad, because grocery store bakery just doesn't match up.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:13 PM

Empidonax, I moved from the northside in 1992. Grebes, now is near 63rd and Lincoln in West Allis.

Scordatos.... great cookies and also their rice balls. It's the closest I can do to pretend Im in a Chicago Italian deli! They are a pleasant walk or bike ride away from me. Located at 51st and Howard, I'm impressed that you named it!

Also, speaking of Italian, can we afree Groppis in Bay View is pretty awesome????

Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Milwaukee does it all! Sausage, cheese, beer and baked goods! I am hoping I can visit Milwaukee this fall if this COVID garbage ever subsides. Grebe's will be added to my list.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Milwaukee does it all! Sausage, cheese, beer and baked goods! I am hoping I can visit Milwaukee this fall if this COVID garbage ever subsides. Grebe's will be added to my list.

Unfortunately, the Covid crisis will probably be with us for quite some time. But when you do come to visit, whether this fall or sometime in 2021 or whenever, don't miss the area's frozen custard (like ice cream, but with eggs in addition to cream and sugar).

Custard is serious business here, and it has inspired countless debates. One of the best versions can be found at Leon's (est. 1942) on the city's south side. The Butter Pecan is my favorite custard in the entire area:

https://www.facebook.com/LeonsFrozen...04021859633948

Another favorite is Kopp's, founded in 1950 (there are three locations now). The have two Flavors of the Day each day, and also a variety of sundaes, malts, burgers, etc. My favorite flavor is Bienenstichkuchen ("Bee Sting Cake"), a custard made with almond, honey, cake bits, etc.

https://www.kopps.com/flavor-preview

Old 07-02-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Empidonax, I moved from the northside in 1992. Grebes, now is near 63rd and Lincoln in West Allis.

Scordatos.... great cookies and also their rice balls. It's the closest I can do to pretend Im in a Chicago Italian deli! They are a pleasant walk or bike ride away from me. Located at 51st and Howard, I'm impressed that you named it!

Also, speaking of Italian, can we afree Groppis in Bay View is pretty awesome????

I do like Groppi's a lot, and have found myself going there more during the current virus crisis.

They sell a variety of interesting to-go baked goods from local places, but my favorite feature there is the meat counter in back. They always have the meat and seafood basics, but also usually have items that nearby standard groceries tend not to have.

The deli and hot foods variety is very good, too. The current owners have done a good job keeping up the old-style, personalized atmosphere of the original, longtime market.

Thanks for the tip about the rice balls at Scordato--I've never had theirs! My go-to for rice balls has been Glorioso's on Brady, but I'm happy to hear that I can get them closer to the house. I've seen that Groppi's also has arancini, but haven't tried theirs (yet).

Aside from the Italian cookies, one of my favorite things to get at Scordato's is their Sicilian pizza, the sfincione. That stuff is delicious.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:10 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Unfortunately, the Covid crisis will probably be with us for quite some time. But when you do come to visit, whether this fall or sometime in 2021 or whenever, don't miss the area's frozen custard (like ice cream, but with eggs in addition to cream and sugar).

Custard is serious business here, and it has inspired countless debates. One of the best versions can be found at Leon's (est. 1942) on the city's south side. The Butter Pecan is my favorite custard in the entire area:

https://www.facebook.com/LeonsFrozen...04021859633948

Another favorite is Kopp's, founded in 1950 (there are three locations now). The have two Flavors of the Day each day, and also a variety of sundaes, malts, burgers, etc. My favorite flavor is Bienenstichkuchen ("Bee Sting Cake"), a custard made with almond, honey, cake bits, etc.

https://www.kopps.com/flavor-preview
I've been to Leon's and Kitt's. Good stuff.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:31 AM

Empidonax, good morning!

YES, Scordato's has a great rice ball. Verryyyyyy tasty! I never had them until but a few months ago, in my whole life! Can you believe it????

I moved to Greenfield in 2012 and only started going to Scordato's, maybe a couple years ago! SHAME ON ME!!!!

Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Mmm, Kopps. I'm enjoying a 95F day in Florida. Kopps would be nice right now....

When I lived in the area in the 80s and 90s I was amazed at the diversity of food in Milwaukee, and took every opportunity to enjoy it. Between Summerfest and all the various cultural "fests" in the summer you could do pretty well, too, but the best part was getting out i to the various ethnic neighborhoods and sampling the local fare.

Yum.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee