Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,152 times

Advertisements

We have three school aged children (middle school, high school). Looking for a "good fit" - we have lived in San Francisco and a suburb of New York (loved both) and our kids had no problem making friends or fitting in. Is there a suburb of Milwaukee that would have a liberal, diverse, educated vibe where our kids won't "stand out." And a good high school! Would especially love to hear from non-traditional families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 03:04 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
You probably want to focus on the north shore communities, although parts of them can be somewhat conservative.

Where will work be? That could also affect your choice. There are a number of really nice outlying suburban areas, too.

RM

Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 AM

Thank you for your response. We need to be within 30 minutes (preferably closer) to the Pettit National Ice Center. The biggest consideration would be a welcoming community - suburban on the more urban side would be perfect and a good high school.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:46 PM

253 posts, read 394,453 times
Glendale is a good community, but it's not as "urban" if you are looking to be in walking distance to amenities or other activities. It is suburban, diverse and a mix of conservative, moderates and liberals. Nicolet is a very good high school.

Shorewood may fit your criteria, as it is urban and walkable to amenities, near UW-Milwaukee and has a very diverse population (mix of professionals, families, internationals, etc.). Shorewood High is a very good high school as well.

Neither are far from the Pettit Center when taking the highway, but commute times will change in the winter if the roads are not cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth BL View Post
Thank you for your response. We need to be within 30 minutes (preferably closer) to the Pettit National Ice Center. The biggest consideration would be a welcoming community - suburban on the more urban side would be perfect and a good high school.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:01 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Shorewood seems like the best fit: It's a well-educated, progressive urban suburb. It's home to a high concentration of teachers, college professors, graduate students, etc.

Glendale is good, too, though less urban and more of an affordable "mainstream professional" suburb.

Whitefish Bay would probably work--it's well-educated and mostly left-leaning, and has a nice downtown.

The eastern section of Wauwatosa (East 'Tosa) would also probably be a good fit.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 PM

Thank you Empidonax and Zoomkay for those responses. I like the walkable feel of Shorewood and Whitefish Bay - I'll also look at East Wauwatosa and Glenwood. I didn't think of the issue of snow - but no commutes can be worse than the NYC area. Thanks again for the responses.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
You should consider living in the city and forgoing the suburbs.
If you're really looking for diversity you won't really find it in the suburbs. There are some neighborhoods IN Milwaukee that fit your request a bit better though, like downtown, east side, riverwest, bayview, enderis park, and many others. Though really, milwaukee isn't very diverse; it's still one of the most (if not The most) segregated cities in the united states.

If by the phrases "Good Fit" and making sure your Kids won't "Stand out" really means you're looking for a mostly white community... There are still plenty of non-diverse suburbs and Milwaukee neighborhoods to choose from. I'm sorry if i'm jumping to conclusions here, it's just typically when i hear those phrases it's exactly what folks mean.

Last edited by jdashn; 09-01-2020 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-01-2020, 09:15 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdashn View Post
You should consider living in the city and forgoing the suburbs.
If you're really looking for diversity you won't really find it in the suburbs. There are some neighborhoods IN Milwaukee that fit your request a bit better though, like downtown, east side, riverwest, bayview, enderis park, and many others. Though really, milwaukee isn't very diverse; it's still one of the most (if not The most) segregated cities in the united states.

If by the phrases "Good Fit" and making sure your Kids won't "Stand out" really means you're looking for a mostly white community... There are still plenty of non-diverse suburbs and Milwaukee neighborhoods to choose from. I'm sorry if i'm jumping to conclusions here, it's just typically when i hear those phrases it's exactly what folks mean.

She said she especially wanted to hear from "non-traditional families," so I figured "good fit" and "stand out" had more to do with communities that would welcome a "two mommies" household or an interracial family.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:47 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Born and raised in Milwaukee. Currently living in Wauwatosa (60 years) which can be provincial. Worked for premier law firm in the downtown Milwaukee for over 25 years. Majority of its attys and partners lived near downtown, or along the Lake or in the North Shore suburbs. These highly educated people had high expectations for the schools in those areas and still do.

Stick with Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, certain parts of Glendale or Milwaukee area surrounding UW-M. Lots of energy on the North Shore. The word egalitarian comes to mind. You should find easy acceptance in those areas as the residents tend to be very highly educated. Lots of cultural activities, high standards in its schools. Even as far north as Fox Point. You can get to Pettit Ice Center - easy drive on I-43/I-94 - in 20 minutes or less.

Although West Allis and Wauwatosa are nearby, if you want "liberal, diverse, educated vibe where our kids won't "stand out"" - the North Shore suburbs are absolutely where you should be focusing your search.

I grew up on the South Side of Milwaukee. Both my sister and I have said our lives today would have been so much different/more expansive if we'd grown up in Shorewood or similar.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-08-2020 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-10-2020, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,243 times
I was born and raised in Milwaukee and have lived on W. Vilter Ln for 46 years. You couldn't find a more diverse block. We have Latino, white, African American, Native American, Hmong, Puerto Rican, LBGQT all living here. Maybe were not "Educated" just blue collar working folk, but we all look out for each other and throw great block parties in the summer. Come check the block out, find a nice Polish flat and enjoy a real diverse neighborhood IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee