Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 07:07 PM

854 posts, read 1,705,123 times

Advertisements

Has anyone removed it from their house ? How did you get rid of it ? If you got a dumpster, were there special procedures you had to follow ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:16 PM

854 posts, read 1,705,123 times
Anyone ? I made some calls today, but didn't have much luck. Back at it Monday I guess.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:10 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Did you call remediation companies? They would be the ones to ask.

As long as you're not breaking it up or cutting it I doubt it presents much of a risk, as asbestos has to be "friable" for it to be dangerous. Of course, disposal would be a concern, too.

Good luck!

RM

Old 03-15-2021, 02:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
That would be illegal in most places. Demo and disposal have to follow strict environmental guidelines, and in most cases cannot be done by the homeowner, it requires a license.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 5,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Has anyone removed it from their house ? How did you get rid of it ? If you got a dumpster, were there special procedures you had to follow ?

Thanks.
Hello there, you have to be careful when dealing with asbestos. It can cause health concerns if you are not cautious. Asbestos siding removal is a difficult task which I think can be of great help if you hire professionals expert in asbestos removal. It can be expensive but on the bright side, it will be safe for you as the experts will have all the right equipment to use and also have the proper medical precautions to take to avoid any harm to them and also to you.
If you plan to do it yourself make sure you do the job safely and succeed with it. You cannot stop at a point and leave it at that. Take necessary precautions by wearing medical masks to ensure safety.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:30 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
"Take necessary precautions by wearing medical masks to ensure safety." If I elected to wear a mask for asbestos exposure, it would not merely be a "medical grade" mask.

Driving a car can be hazardous to your health...so wear a helmet for safety, and driving a nail with a hammer can be hazardous to your thumb, always hold the nail with pliers instead. We humans assume risk everyday, and most take reasonable steps to mitigate risk...so do what makes you feel comfortably safe.

While I don't dispute medical findings about asbestos, I do have issues with the suggested "do or die" precautions. Sure, it wouldn't be good to inhale asbestos dust 8 hours a day, every day, but I can say that as part of my job in the 70's, I used to cut 1/2" thick asbestos fiberboard with a hand saw, no filtration, no precautions, and some 50 years later I have no health issues tied to asbestos. Maybe I am an anomaly, maybe not. Maybe the suggested precautions are overly zealous....maybe not.

EPA info on asbestos. Note this sentence: December 2020 Final Risk Evaluation for Asbestos, Part 1: Chrysotile Asbestos found unreasonable risks to human health for ongoing uses of chrysotile asbestos and no unreasonable risk to the environment from any condition of use.

If I were to remove my own asbestos siding, I would first contact my county building officials to verify what, if any rules may apply to me, the homeowner for the removal and disposal of the siding. Or maybe I would take the "rather seek forgiveness than permission" mindset, but first would come adequate research. Homeowner performed work and contractor performed work are not always governed by the same regulations.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-29-2021, 07:49 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
We removed our asbestos siding years ago. It's legal in Oregon for the home owner to do, but there are procedures that are required to be followed such as: proper PPE, proper disposal bags, labeled appropriately, sealing properly and hauling to a certain landfill. It was a pain but worth it. We also installed new siding ourselves and it still looks good years later.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:59 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
if removing asbestos was that dangerous there would be a federal law against it..

Old 06-09-2021, 07:47 AM

572 posts, read 326,187 times
Asbestos removal companies are there to remove with all the safety procedures and safe waste disposal. They have the equipment to do it safely for other and environemnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: