Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 10:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times

Advertisements

Kraftask, I am a Social Worker, not a Bailiff/Deputy.

But periodically I would go sit in the gallery, about 2 rows behind him.

Quite an adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 02:15 PM

I would say in 3.5 years I HAVE seen more people identified as Black/African-American coming through the jail and court system in Waukesha County.

If someone feels they also identify as such, and need to stay away from Waukesha, well then I leave that up to them. I do not tell ANYone where they should go or not go.

Also, I would not say Dahmer made the mockery of our system. He fooled the police, and the system. Not exactly the same attitude and demeanor that Brooks displayed.

I'm open to others' opinions and thoughts.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:51 AM

RomanticGayHim1986, good morning,

I believe Black/African-Americans make up 3 or 4 % of the population in the city of Waukesha. I admit, in my observations and experiences the number. I do a project with statistics, and there may be 1 month where 20% of the inmates are Black that WE work with, and another month it could be 37%.

If you watch some youtube videos you might see me in the courtroom, but I would typically sit in the gallery, about 2 benches behind him. I'm in social work, so I just wear business casual clothes at work. Hispanic guy, very short hair, that would be me.

The only time in my career that I crossed the typical social work-line was in the Milwaukee County Jail. I helped subdue an inmate after he punched a female Correctional Officer in the face, and another male Correctional Officer had fractured his ankle trying to subdue the inmate.... I, at that time, would have been a 5th or 6th Degree Black belt (hence my name as Master Jay), so if someone had the tools to help subdue someone I suppose that could have been me.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:54 AM

117 posts, read 84,306 times
I don't know much about Waukesha but i have noticed most cities in Wisconsin don't have as many minorities compared to most cities in Illinois. It seems like Milwaukee, Racine/Kenosha & Beloit are the exceptions.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:44 AM

Kraftask,

I tell you, Waukesha came to grow on me. As a youth in Milwaukee, Waukesha felt SO FAR AWAY!!!!

In total, I have worked 9.5 years here (4 years working with adults with severe mental health illness, 2 years managing a fitness center, and now 3.5 years in the court/jail system).

And my favorite Chinese restaurant is here in Waukesha, Golden Gate... And I tell you the truth that that restaurant has won an award for being in the top 10 in the NATION! And you know what a Chicago-guy I am. I actually like it better than some of the Chinese restaurants I've been to in Chinatown!

Old 01-05-2023, 12:18 PM

117 posts, read 84,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kraftask,

I tell you, Waukesha came to grow on me. As a youth in Milwaukee, Waukesha felt SO FAR AWAY!!!!

In total, I have worked 9.5 years here (4 years working with adults with severe mental health illness, 2 years managing a fitness center, and now 3.5 years in the court/jail system).

And my favorite Chinese restaurant is here in Waukesha, Golden Gate... And I tell you the truth that that restaurant has won an award for being in the top 10 in the NATION! And you know what a Chicago-guy I am. I actually like it better than some of the Chinese restaurants I've been to in Chinatown!
How are the schools in Waukesha compared to Milwaukee? My daughter goes to one of the worst schools in Wisconsin so i'd imagine they gotta be better out that way. I really wish they would've moved almost anywhere else in the state of Wisconsin because Milwaukee strikes me as like a northern extension of the worst parts of Chicago & Rockford. It's almost like they broke off a piece & dropped it into an otherwise beautiful state.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:27 PM

Kraftask, do NOT quote me, as my children do not attend school in Waukesha. And I did/do not work with children, so I can only go by what I've heard people say.

My understanding, for example, would be that Waukesha North High School would be the more upscale high school, where Waukesha South High School is in an older part of the city (possibly more working class-types and more diverse), so if you live in that area it would be "better" to go to Catholic Memorial High School (if you can afford it!).

Old 01-05-2023, 02:19 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticGayHim1986 View Post
,... I loved leisurely walking throughout Waukesha but somehow feel like I’ll be looked at and unsafe going to Waukesha now. I’m sticking to Milwaukee.....
"Feeling" and reality are often two different things.

I remember a TV statisrtics course from 30 yrs or so ago--They did a sidewalk interview of a guy, asking him what the biggest danger/fear was in his life. As he aswered over his shoulder "Nuclear War with Russia," he stepped off the curb, jay-walking and nearly got hit by a car.

It's a pretty good bet you're really safer in Waukesha than in Milwaukee....I can't argue with how you do feel, but can point out that maybe it's not justified.

Re: Jay's observation that there are more blacks "in the system" now-- Is that data systematically collected and critically analyzed?-- If it's "real," is it because Waukesha police are punitively exercising less discetion in whom they are arresting or is it because blacks are in fact commiting more crimes?...Unless there's a big up-tick in citizens' arrests, it ain't "the community" that's making the difference.

Being of Sicilian heritage, there's a strong criminal background in our Family (note the capital "F"). My favorite uncle got the electric chair...and I know I was his favorite nephew, too. He wanted me to sit on his lap.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:32 AM

Wow, I've worked 5 days a week in Waukesha for the last 3.5 years, and I NEVER saw nor heard any stories of White Supremacists in the area, especially regarding the Darrell Brooks situation.

They must have been VERY isolated examples, so I would NOT worry about them.

But then again, I leave it up to the individual adult to make their own individual adult decision.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:07 AM

746 posts, read 838,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticGayHim1986 View Post
Following the heavy media coverage a couple months ago and what was some of the most bizarre behavior I had ever seen in court by Darrell Brooks, I as a black man am steering clear of Waukesha. Brooks’s hate crime (or what should be considered a hate crime against white folks if you ask me) may have made that community feel negatively about blacks.

For many years up until a few months ago when that circus act of a court case was strewn all over the news with him acting like an absolute crazed clown after motoring down human beings, I loved leisurely walking throughout Waukesha but somehow feel like I’ll be looked at and unsafe going to Waukesha now. I’m sticking to Milwaukee.
That is a good plan. Of the 224 homicides in Milwaukee in 2022, only 83% of them were committed by blacks. You are much more likely to get shot up in Waukesha, if that makes any sense...

https://city.milwaukee.gov/police/In...and-Statistics
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...-year-in-a-row
https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/M...cide-Database/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee