Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 AM

119 posts, read 367,779 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee is a majority minority city,being 39% black and 14% Latino.Roughly 5% more of the city comprises other minorities (Asians,Indians,Arabs,etc).The rest of the city is white.Milwaukee is hypersegragated,and highly discriminatory towards its black and latino populations,resulting in high crime,violent,gang infested minority neighborhoods and much more well off white neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,554 times
High crime may be related to an economic meltdown during the 1970s and '80s, but prior to that, for many many decades, at a time when the city was at least as racially divided as ever, it had the lowest crime rate of any big city in America.
One needn't be a potential murder victim to be wary of a neighborhood. It's enough that neighbors' homes have been broken into, or that a friend's parent was mugged and robbed going from car to home. The difference in my old neighborhood from the time when I grew up there and now is profound, and cannot be glibly ignored or rationalized.
Milwaukee's downtown is finally changing greatly for the better. One hopes that the New York effect, a dramatic reversal of the acceptance of crime and its actual retreat, will soon happen in Milwaukee too. Then it'll be easy to say Milwaukee's great, no question about it.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 AM

63 posts, read 161,488 times
Default Milwaukee is not too bad at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye eden View Post
High crime may be related to an economic meltdown during the 1970s and '80s, but prior to that, for many many decades, at a time when the city was at least as racially divided as ever, it had the lowest crime rate of any big city in America.
One needn't be a potential murder victim to be wary of a neighborhood. It's enough that neighbors' homes have been broken into, or that a friend's parent was mugged and robbed going from car to home. The difference in my old neighborhood from the time when I grew up there and now is profound, and cannot be glibly ignored or rationalized.
Milwaukee's downtown is finally changing greatly for the better. One hopes that the New York effect, a dramatic reversal of the acceptance of crime and its actual retreat, will soon happen in Milwaukee too. Then it'll be easy to say Milwaukee's great, no question about it.

I agree that if Milwaukee can clean up its crime issues, which are mostly occuring in two areas of the city, Milwaukee then becomes one of the best small cities in America. For its population, roughly 500,00 Milwaukee supports alot of things that other cities do not or cannot. Milwaukee upon first glance driving in looks a bit dirty and dingy, a typical rust belt town. But I think when you talk about the city you have to include some of the beautiful suburbs as well, simply because they are in such close proximity to the actual downtown. And thats one of the best things about the city, you are a 10-20 minute drive from anywhere you want to go, unless it is rush hour. There is no constant traffic jam like in larger citites. Also the downtown is becoming lively once again, and Milwaulkee is becoming a better convention destination. The city's architecture is mostly over 50years old but pretty well maintained and the buildings are very unique and not cluttered all together. The Lakefront is turning out really beautiful too. Since the Art Museum became a globally recognized symbol of the "new" Milwaukee, it has become sort of a center piece to the entire lakefront area. There is a new childrens Discovery museum and some nice parks and cafes near the lake. The cons of living in Milwaukee is the creeping crime rate and the lack of good paying jobs. What's new? Most cities have these problems. That's not to say there are no good jobs, but the city really lacks the initiative to create or lure better jobs for its citizens.
Overall Milwaukee is a very decent and safe place to raise a family, and most of the people are very friendly. Oh and the Riverwalk is pretty nice too. I think Milwaukee is unique in that it feels like a small town but with lots of stuff to do.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM

80 posts, read 548,530 times
Just a side note but the population recently ticked upwards in Milwauke and we are once again over the 600k mark.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM

16 posts, read 40,620 times
I like Milwaukee when I visit (about 3 times per year). I have friends there and always have a good time. However, the city was ruined by bad luck and politics.

It was bad enough that the well paying blue collar jobs started disappearing in the 70's but forced integration of the public schools also encouraged a huge white flight. You can see the former glory of the neighborhoods, especially on the North side, before they were abandoned by their creators.

As the white flight was gaining momentum, poor blacks moved to Wisconsin in droves from Chicago because up until the end of the 90's, Wisconsin had one of the most generous welfare programs in the nation. Many settled in Racine, Milwaukee, and Madison.

The legacy of the two migrations in Milwaukee is the continued destruction of the North side and the continuing urban sprawl of the suburbs.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What are the schools,crime,houses,and people like in Milwakee?
I can answer for a couple of things--

Crime is bad in the city, but not all over the city, in more localized areas. Periodically it seems that it takes place unexpectedly. I lived in Chicago for some time and it was no different; crime stayed in crime's own backyard, but occasionally something happened that brought the news to a neighborhood. In my opinion, crime is totally out of control, in the areas where it is most frequent. The city has no choice but to do something about it, quickly, or it will have a severe impact on the future of the city. Milwaukee isn't alone in that category, though. I live in Scottsdale, AZ (spend months in Milwaukee per year) and some parts of Phoenix are best described as "chaos" as well. The stereotypical picture of old, busted cars in the front yard, a refrigerator on the front porch, a chain link fence around the yard, and nothing but people aimlessly loitering on corners and in parking lots, on their way from nowhere, to nowhere. Drug and alcohol abuse are rampant, unemployment is the norm, and shootings are commonplace.

Houses in Milwaukee? You pick. What are you looking for? Taxes are not good, prices are not cheap, but they're cheaper than Chicago. A lot of it depends on the area that you pick.

People are generally friendly except where you get the neighborhoods where families have lived for the last six generations or so. If you're a new face in one of these areas, expect funny stares for a while. Pick an area where you fit in with the people and lifestyles, and you'll probably enjoy it. The rest of the area is friendly, 'burbs included.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM

232 posts, read 948,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnrain416 View Post
excuse me no cracker (white folk) has any business in the drug crime black low income getto northside of milwaukee,so I was told by a black lady when I asked about the north side of milwaukee,wonder if that is true?? any whites live in northside milwaukee???

the northside spreads all the way up to brown deer park north of good hope roads on teutonia avenue the more westward you go the further north the suburb lines increase.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlNino View Post
I like Milwaukee when I visit (about 3 times per year). I have friends there and always have a good time. However, the city was ruined by bad luck and politics.

It was bad enough that the well paying blue collar jobs started disappearing in the 70's but forced integration of the public schools also encouraged a huge white flight. You can see the former glory of the neighborhoods, especially on the North side, before they were abandoned by their creators.

As the white flight was gaining momentum, poor blacks moved to Wisconsin in droves from Chicago because up until the end of the 90's, Wisconsin had one of the most generous welfare programs in the nation. Many settled in Racine, Milwaukee, and Madison.

The legacy of the two migrations in Milwaukee is the continued destruction of the North side and the continuing urban sprawl of the suburbs.
go get the book called bronzeville. at borders books etc

Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgirk3 View Post
I agree that if Milwaukee can clean up its crime issues, which are mostly occuring in two areas of the city, Milwaukee then becomes one of the best small cities in America.

milwaukee isnt a small city its medium, Racine, Appleton, Kenosha are small cities

For its population, roughly 500,00 Milwaukee supports alot of things that other cities do not or cannot.

examples

Also the downtown is becoming lively once again

Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,743 times
I'm black and wont live on the north side of Milwaukee. Milwaukee does have some bad areas, but there are also good areas people just tend to focus on the inner city. Most people that are getting killed are because of drug related crimes. Rarely, do you see innocent people getting killed on a daily bases. Most people are involved in that "thug lifestyle." Yes, some things can happen to innocent bystanders, like the Miller Brew. Executive, but most deaths are drug related. Check the stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee