Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If I want a huge variety of classical I use Pandora radio, great free site.
Pandora does a great job. I was not sure that they were still around with all the various e-mails I have received from the CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 31,288 times
At the risk of being slammed, I'll say that having no jazz or classical radio in the city makes us look like culture-less red necks.

Having said that, I do listen to all the public radio stations here and found the variety of programming interesting. It almost makes up for not having jazz and classical. There is one segment on Sunday, starting at 4pm, of classical music - WMSE 91.7. Then right after that is Alternating Currents - my favorite! Way out music.

I also use iTunes for most of my music listening.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,723 times
The radio business is changing drastically. Ten years ago local stations still had local DJs who did their own shows. It was quite common to have competing "drive time" morning shows with personalities such as "Bob and Brian" and "Rightmann and Mueller." Stations were locally managed and developed their own playlists that catered to their local audiences. And there was a home for classical and jazz on commercial radio.

These days, the consolidation of the media, and the economic realities of the media business, have led stations to take on corporatized broadcast identities with no local DJs or locally produced shows. So WKTI is now "The Lake" or some crap like that. WKLH is "The Brew," etc etc. And the only place you'll find classical or jazz in most markets is public or college radio.

Unfortunately in Milwaukee, those public bandwiths are taken up already with Milwaukee Public Radio, Wisconsin Public Radio, WMSE and Radio Milwaukee. I love all of these stations. They offer variety and local flavor. But they do not offer classical and jazz.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM

204 posts, read 752,236 times
I'm not one who often to listens to the radio, but I absolutely love the new 88.9 --- Radio Milwaukee. Definitely has changed my listening habits for the better.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 311 times
Smile Miss classical in Milwaukee

WFMR was my first exposure to classical music. When I come back to Milwaukee I tune to WFMT in Chicago, as I pass through, or do live streaming from WSMC (with no commercials), which is a non-profit based in Collegedale, Tennessee. I live in Chattanooga now and support WSMC because of the quality music with little talk 24 hrs/day. The internet has made it possible to not be limited by local choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee