Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I go out a lot all over Chicago and Milwaukee and have been to all of our clubs and lounges and most new restaurants(I can't keep up, they keep opening up to quick). From what I have heard from my friends in Chicago say Milwaukee's nightlife scene as far as quality rivals Chicago. Obviously not quantity but a scene that has more to offer than compared to any other city our size. Anything from Cigar bar, Upscale Lounge, Rooftop Lounges/bars, romantic spots, traditional Milwaukee dive bars and great sports bars. We have a lot of bars/lounges/restaurants that if you didn't know better you wouldn't think you were in Milwaukee. I have also heard this from people from LA, I believe my friends exact quote was " I didn't think places like this existed in Wisconsin" when refering to a Milwaukee Street Lounge/Bar.
Nice. My fiance is moving here this weekend. Let me know a good spot to take her man. I definitely have a lot of exploring to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 AM

58 posts, read 161,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Ilet out at 3 huh? 99% of the Tech kids don't even live any where near here. My neighbors despite what you might think are either yuppies/MIAD/students...GET A CLUE!!!

etc etc

The Miller exec was killed there last year, I have also witnessed someone there almsot killed by a patron when a guy was hit over the head with a bottle. There also have been several muggings there . does it happen all the time , of course not, but the general make up of people there is pretty much "ex convict" material. Enjoy your crossword puzzle Magnum PI!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:56 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
but the general make up of people there is pretty much "ex convict" material.
Well agree to disagree, but your way off when you assume we are all ex-cons. Lets take a look out in the street...oh a 2006 jaguar, 2009 300limited, 2005 Saab, my neighbor has a 2006 corvette and there's a 2006 BMW out there too. Man how did all these convicts get money? I work in Finance Industry do you think if I could afford a nice home in Mequon that I probably don't have to live in Walker's Point that I actually enjoy it and will continue to live here. Why would there be million dollar condo's and $170,000 studios in an ex-convict area? your assessment of Walker's Point is only hurting Milwaukee and the progress we are trying to make. I suppose it would be scary coming from Madison or Elkhorn.

JS Online: Welcome to Walker's Point

Illinois buyers feel at home in Milwaukee condos, on weekends: Investments, getaways. (11-APR-06) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Milwaukee, WI) (http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-31376731_ITM - broken link)

Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Ok, I think Walkers Point is fine. As far as I can think of though, most of the dance clubs are gay, which are fun but if that's not your thing then just don't go in. I forgot about Mad Planet. 80's night is Friday night there. I used to go there ALL the time, haven't been there for about a year. It's a little dumpy but if you like 80's 90's alternative,that's your place. But keep your eyes open around that area, it can be a little sketchy. Not a horrendous area, just be aware. I'm a little biased but I would check out Brady St.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
there is only one gay dance club in walker's point(la cage) the rest are straight, envy, rain, sugar, Havana, Fuego, the warehouse, hot water all thought hot water is listed as a gay friendly dance club it is not exclusively gay. Mad Planet is in riverwest and riverwest is way more dangerous than walker's point.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
So what do you do with a big ass coat when you go to the club? Carry it and dance?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
So what do you do with a big ass coat when you go to the club? Carry it and dance?
I never was a dance club type of dude, but I know I detest getting my coat all smoky in bars, so typically in MKE, even on the cold ass nights, if my parking spot is semi-reasonable, I (and many folks I know do this too) stash it in the trunk of the car and hoof it into the bar.

Otherwise, if you have the coat in the bar, typically either you can stash it at your table or there are areas with coat checks, etc. And yes, plenty of decent coats have been stolen / lost / walked over the years in Milwaukee-area bars in the winter.

Finally...great bar to hit as previously mentioned was Vitucci's on North Ave. on the East Side. Great lounge for late nights. I used to kick it there ALL the time for respectably dressed but not terribly pretentious folks, good music on the juke box, just a cool chill lounge.

I am all about the Bar Louie chain that has a really decent location on Water Street. Again, a bar really strictly - but a nice, big bar. An incredibly large selection of taps (one of the biggest in the city) and a phenomenal $2-per-tap-for-EVERYTHING Happy Hour every day from 5p-9p. Great to hit some awesome imports or microbrews hard after work and have a $10 plus tip bill feeling good (with a ride home of course).

The Harp just off of Water Street is a long time Milwaukee icon. Especially in the summer months with their locally legendary big patio right on the Milwaukee River (patio gets packed), the Harp is a good call for a late night bar.

I always enjoyed Von Trier for a more semi-upscale but non-pretentious bier garten type of place on the East Side just across the street from Vitucci's. The Vox is a good place for European Rock type of stuff (see: Coldplay, Depeche Mode, The Killers, The Verve, etc.); also nearby on the East Side. The Eastsider is a good, reasonable bar - solid - near Vitucci's on MKE's East Side.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Milwaukee Nights

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
LEAVE IT in the car or dont bring one at all if your driving

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM

158 posts, read 660,391 times
Check out Foundations (Tiki Bar) in Riverwest too...cool place to chill and get a drink...cool atmosphere and decorations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee