Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kenosha -v- Racine
Kenosha, Chicago's Most Northern Suburb. 16 48.48%
Racine, Up and Coming. 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is Kenosha noted as 'Chicago's Most Northern Suburb' on the poll?
Because statistically it is, it is counted in the Chicagoland metro area. They also have a metra stop in Kenosha. You're right when you say it's is true Wisconsin.

Chicago metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ I know it's a wiki source but this is something we all know to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
other than the commuters to Chicagoland living closer to I-94 indeed Kenosha has the trappings and feel of Wisconsin. All the ballyhooing on this forum over it being a extension of the Chicago suburbs is nuts. They just say that because the FIB's are moving up there to get away from the mega congestion of the Chicago metro area. But in the end they are in NO way changing the way of life for those living more in the town of Kenosha. As for a choice between the Racine vs. Kenosha, I'd go Kenosha as well. Racine has been getting a bit arm pitty for my liking. It was several years ago, I doubt it's gotten better.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
All the ballyhooing on this forum over it being a extension of the Chicago suburbs is nuts.
That's why I said "technically it is an extension of the greater Chicagoland area. It is very much Wisconsin, however the closest feel to being in IL is Lake Geneva and Kenosha County.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

33 posts, read 32,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
It is very much Wisconsin, however the closest feel to being in IL is Lake Geneva and Kenosha County.
I've lived in Kenosha my whole life. I guess I still do not see how Kenosha has any "feel" of Illinois. I think the change in everything is pretty drastic once you cross the border going north from Illinois. The housing stock is very much Wisconsin. Even Milwaukee cream brick used in the city parks for the public buildings. Like was mentioned the stores are all Wisconsin grocers for example no Dominicks or Jewel. They use to have a Jewel but nobody shopped there and it went out after only a few years. The only two things I can think of that remotely seem Illinois related are the occasional blues jam (which is pretty much all over America) and the occasional Cubs/Bears supporter.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:39 PM

7 posts, read 26,870 times
I think part of the problem here is that people are getting Bristol and Pleasant Prairie confused for Kenosha proper. The area along the freeway is not Kenosha! It is true that Kenosha draws from the Chicago element more than Racine, bringing with it the money, hence the business districts. Racine on the other hand, is closer to the Milwaukee suburb influence. Both cities have their perks. I think that Racine leaders have learned a few lessons from Kenosha and are trying hard to establish themselves as a desirable locale. It will take time, but Racine is a diamond in the rough with incredible potential!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I think part of the problem here is that people are getting Bristol and Pleasant Prairie confused for Kenosha proper. The area along the freeway is not Kenosha!
True but that is really splitting hairs. That's like saying HWY 100 isn't in Milwaukee, true but does it really matter that it's not in the city proper even though it's blocks away. No It's part of the Kenosha greater area and eve Bristol is "Kenosha".

Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,143 times
Quote:
True but that is really splitting hairs. That's like saying HWY 100 isn't in Milwaukee, true but does it really matter that it's not in the city proper even though it's blocks away. No It's part of the Kenosha greater area and eve Bristol is "Kenosha".

I've lived in Kenosha forever and a day and nobody here would consider Bristol as "Kenosha" It's in Kenosha County and there is Pleasant Prairie also in between. These are considerd distinct "suburbs" of Kenosha. The area around the freeway is Pleasant Prairie, which extends all the way to almost Pershing Blvd in Kenosha. That's about 6 or 7 miles east on Hwy 50. Hardly blocks away.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Ask anyone outside of Kenosha and I94 and 50 is Kenosha.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Ask anyone outside of Kenosha and I94 and 50 is Kenosha.

Well if someone who doesnt live here says it's so, then it must be accurate! *smirks* *winks*

I think where some people from out of town get confused is when an address will say something's in Kenosha even though it's technically several miles away. An aside, my former Team Lead moved to Bristol from Rogers Park IL back in the mid 90s. He calls it Bristol for sure. My old Supervisor at the same place of work lived in White Caps (Pleasant Prairie). She used to say she was "driving into Kenosha" to get this or that, even though it's 5-6 miles up the road. It's not really splitting hairs anymore. Kenosha apparently seems worlds away from the county to many people who move there. It's been a problem for downtown Kenosha since so many businesses are popping up in Pleasant Prairie. I had another supervisor who lived in Salem and thought Kenosha was "a hike!" Next time you drive up highway 50 see how long it takes before you hit the Kenosha city limits.

Last edited by lotus PA; 12-07-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm Dude View Post
I've lived in Kenosha forever and a day and nobody here would consider Bristol as "Kenosha" It's in Kenosha County and there is Pleasant Prairie also in between. These are considerd distinct "suburbs" of Kenosha. The area around the freeway is Pleasant Prairie, which extends all the way to almost Pershing Blvd in Kenosha. That's about 6 or 7 miles east on Hwy 50. Hardly blocks away.
Very true. Pleasant Prairie extends further up highway 50 than most people realize. Almost to the Sears and Pershing Plaza. I haven't called the area by 50 and the interstate "Kenosha" for over 30 years. It's either called "out by the interstate" or Pleasant Prairie but some will even call it Bristol. Anything west of Green Bay Road use to be cabbage fields 30 years ago and this road was the unofficial boundry of Kenosha even back then.

Last edited by lotus PA; 12-07-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee