Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

I plan on driving down to Evanston and biking downtown Chicago, has anyone ever biked in Chicago?

Chicago Bike Map (http://www.cityofchicago.org/Transportation/bikemap/keymap.html - broken link)

City of Chicago - Bike Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Just wanted to know how the summer's been for biking for you, I still haven't taken any other trails other than the paved bike trail along the lake that runs up to shorewood and beyond. I kind of wish I bought a road bike now, my wife has a specialized and man can that thing roar! Riding my Jamis 2.0 mountain bike is somewhat of a workout but hers is a breeze and little to no effort and you're flying!

Anyone here commute daily on city streets? and good routes around the east side-Bayview? I take Milwaukee ave a lot during the week but not on a weekend.

http://www.brewcitybiketours.blogspot.com/

http://www.riverrevitalizationfoundation.org/Images/Map-Duo.jpg (broken link)

http://www.wibikeroutes.net/index.html

Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Wow! I'm impressed with Milwaukee's (and Wisconsin's) bike orientation/bike friendliness. No wonder WI is ranked top 5 state for cyclists! The Mountain bike trails in Kettle Moraine South were already discussed. I have not had issues riding on weekends. The country roads around the park are also great for cycling. The bike shop on US 12 in LaGrange has free maps of the better roads to ride. The shop also rents full suspension mountain bikes and other bikes as well. Might be good place to try out a road bike. Several bike clubs originate club rides from the shop including the Wheeling Wheelmen.

Riding into Chicago on the lake front path is scenic, but quite crowded especially on weekends. Chicago (like many municipalities) still has not provided seperate paths for cyclists and roller bladers and a seperate path for walkers and runners like Minneapolis/St. Paul does. Land is an issue and perhaps lack of knowing what other bike oriented cities are doing. For me, I would only consider it during the week.

Door county has some very nice roads to cycle. It's been many years, but the Sparta-Elroy trail was a lot of fun. If you don't mind day trips, WI has tons of "rail trails" to explore.

Have fun cycling! If you see an "oddball" (I say old-school) on 20 year old blue trek 1000 or doing mountain bike trails on a Blue Raleigh MB with NO suspension and skinny tires- that's me. Stop and say hi- I do enjoy WI and get up into Kettle Moraine area a few times a year.

Live to BIke. Bike to Live!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I plan on driving down to Evanston and biking downtown Chicago, has anyone ever biked in Chicago?

Chicago Bike Map (http://www.cityofchicago.org/Transportation/bikemap/keymap.html - broken link)

City of Chicago - Bike Maps
I shot this picture a couple of weeks ago from around Ontario and LSD. It's tricky to ride some of the trails in the city because of mixed traffic.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM

Looks nice however I like to ride pretty fast at times, do people on this path on Lake Shore drive fast?

Milwaukee by Bike

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/visitors/...es/5rides.html

http://www.chicagobikepolo.com/images/sponsor_milwaukee_bike_co.png (broken link)

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 08-26-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM

I love this trail

Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Looks nice however I like to ride pretty fast at times, do people on this path on Lake Shore drive fast?

Milwaukee by Bike

OnMilwaukee.com Travel & Visitors Guide: Five great bike trails within 60 minutes of downtown
A lot of people do. If you're riding a mountain bike, you won't be the fastest (or the slowest). There are some congested spots here and there, which depends on the day. Obviously 2pm on a Thursday afternoon isn't the same as 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. The thing to watch out for is people who don't seem to realize that they're pushing a double-wide stroller right down the middle of a bike lane, staring up at buildings the whole time...

Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I love this trail
Where is it?

Looks fun

Old 08-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Milwaukee by Bike

OnMilwaukee.com Travel & Visitors Guide: Five great bike trails within 60 minutes of downtown
Ok, I'm not an expert, did it once on a summer weekday. From North Av to just south of the Shedd Aquarium was slow going to co-exist safely with pedestrians. South of the Shedd, especially south of Mc Cormick place to the end of Jackson Park you can go all out with few, if any, conflicts. North of North Av. is Ok but still more heavily traveled than the south leg.

The North Branch trail is pretty-riding through the forest preserves:
Forest Preserve District of Cook County (http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=68&file=map_68e - broken link)

Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Where is it?

Looks fun

The Milwaukee lakefront from the Art museum and it goes all the way up to Bayside. It's runs along the west side of Lincoln Mem Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee