Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

So you all know my story that I'm "if it ain't milwaukee it ain't cool" kind of guy. Big City kind of guy who loves milwaukee and everything that it is and isn't. I have to confess I hate living here in winter, I can't stand the weather even 40 degress is freezing to me. I don't care for change of seasons and never did like fall anyways. I wish I could stay but I'm too much of a pansy to stay and put up with this weather for more than half my life. 3 months of summer is not enough for me. My wife graduates from grad school in 1-2yrs and the at that point where ever I can convince her to move that's where we will go. She loves San Diego and I love South Florida and having lived in both I prefer South Florida. I dig the latin flavor or carribean feel it has vs mountians and cool weather, SD is just to cold for me. I know head scratcher. I don't want to spend more than half of my life in cold, dreary, snowy, gray weather. I know I'm just whinning b/c it's winter and probably wouldn't be in summer. So until we move I'll keep posting on CD and when I move either SD or MIA I'll have to change my screen name. Would you ever leave for weather and have you ever done it? I have once and I should've never moved back to Milwaukee. I relocated to Boca Raton and loved my time there. Why not live somewhere where people go to vaction? My perfect world would be Miami in winter and Milwaukee in summer but what kind of job or life would that be for my future kids. I really can't believe people actually like this weather, I think their either too proud to admit it sucks or there afraid to move. Another reason I hate winter, it's very depressing in the winter. I find myself not motiaved and I have more bad days in winter, I need sun to live.

1-2 yrs and counting....

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 02-27-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Sorry to hear that; I guess the four seasons aren't for everyone. I grew up in a place (SF Bay Area) with good weather, and though I like it there quite fine, it's not because of the weather. I've found that I like having a mix of weather, though the Milwaukee winters do get a bit long in late February and March. I kind of the like the challenges that each season brings, and I also like the cultural aspects--seasonal foods, weather-conditioned events, etc. I also like seeing the natural changes with the four seasons--the change of leaves and flora, migratory bird patterns, etc. I feel more connected to nature (whatever that means) in ways I never experienced in California.

For the most part, I find that the cities in warmer climes in the U.S. don't match up to the Milwaukees, Chicagos, NYCs, etc. of the snowbelt. Though I'm fine with the cold weather and four seasons, there has to be a compelling draw besides that, and for me it's the amenities and opportunities of a place like Milwaukee.

My dad lives in north coastal Florida, and though it's more temperate there, I'd get bored with the lack of commerce and cultural opportunities. Where he lives is considered "upscale," but it's mostly fake, manicured developments surrounded by chain stores. The closest metro area (Daytona Beach) isn't exactly an empty wasteland, and it has natural and a few cultural charms of its own, but the bookstores aren't very good, the libraries aren't very good, the classical music and opera scene is terrible, the arts scene in general is skimpy, the culinary situation is still in the late 1970s, and try to find a decent wine store anywhere. I do like the beach, the nifty animals, some culinary specialties, and some cultural pockets, though. But on a day-to-day level, it's not enough to fulfill me for my working life. It's no wonder people there seem to watch a lot of tv. If I had to live there I would probably read a lot more, due to lack of other activities I like, but other areas of my life would go unmet.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
My dad lives in north coastal Florida, and though it's more temperate there, I'd get bored with the lack of commerce and cultural opportunities. Where he lives is considered "upscale," but it's mostly fake, manicured developments surrounded by chain stores.
I know what you mean by this, that's why I could only live in the Miami area. Ocala; I might die of boredom.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM

20 posts, read 66,596 times
I iknow what you mean. I've lived here all my life, but HATE the weather. We're packing up and if I get a job, south we go!! (just finished grad school finally!)

Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
1. Largely, MKE City, I will relate to you and sympathize, and in many ways, I feel the same as you. Many, many ways.

However...one thing to consider...

You mention Miami and San Diego as your two possible relo spots. I don't know how important cost of living is to you (owning a home, etc.), however, the cost of living in places like San Diego and/or Miami is absolutely staggering compared to a place like Milwaukee metro - our taxes of doom and all.

At the end of the day, while I would far, far, FAR prefer the climate (and related things like the flora / landscaping) in a place like San Diego (I am an outdoors nut) and, while not as pronouncedly, would still prefer the climate in a place like Miami, I would choose to live in Milwaukee metro over either of those two (and this again is just MY OWN reasoning), because:

A) I am really ideally past the "renting" stage, want to own a decent home, and just couldn't afford that in a place like Miami or SD, and

B) I really prefer a smaller, more mid-sized town where traffic isn't unbelievably bad and certain amenities are achievable; both of those are tougher in places like Miami and SD (although not as bad in SD yet).

Really though, I largely agree with a lot of what you are saying. My ideal destination is where I lived from 03 - 07 - Albuquerque, NM. Like you and Florida, I re-relocated back here in mid-07 and absolutely never should have done that. Yes, overall, I do regret it. Not so much because I don't like living here - anyone that follows my posts knows that I am a fairly big fan / advocate of this area. I just moreover really miss ABQ living.

And yes, while there is a laundry list of things I love about ABQ, the climate/weather and sunshine are huge, huge factors.

One thing that you said that resonated with me is that I do not wish to live 1/2 of my life in an area where people are miserable with the weather or complaining about it. For this reason, I probably wouldn't be terribly interested in living in a scorching hot place year-round like Phoenix ideally either. Sure, there are some that like Milwaukee's winters like there are some that like Phoenix's summers, but I am not that person. I overall don't like either.

I just love that feeling of being outdoors with a strong, warm sun hitting you and a cold beer with the grill going and a bit of a suntan going too much to probably want to live the rest of my days in such a long, gray winter environment.

I do relate partially to you saying, "why not live where people go for a vacation"?

Its hard, because when the weather *is* nice up here, it tends to be VERY nice. I am a big, big fan of June through most of October here, and some portions of April, May and November can be decent too.

I guess a lot of what it boils down to is your lifestyle tastes. If one is more of an indoors-person anyway, then things like amenities and the like are more important. If you are like me and are constantly outdoors, then things like weather play a much, much bigger role.

I guess everytime I kind of die wishing I were in ABQ again, I re-remind myself of the many things I really enjoy about living here...and there are many. This really is a very nice area with many things to offer and many things going for it. And that kind of helps to reaffirm my sanity in the worst of the winter stretches.

And like quijote mentioned with his observations of nature, I try to find the beauty of nature and the like on even the most-non-conventionally "beautiful" days (eg: I find some uniqueness even on a thick gray, bitter cold day over by a foul-mooded Lake Michigan next to the Hoan Bridge, etc.).

But I hear you man, I hear you. I just can't ever imagine being able to get over not having more warm, outdoor-oriented months and for that reason doubt I can live here for 20 or 30 more years.

It is tough...because the area has so much going for it in many components. But for many, like you and myself, the outdoors is a big deal.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So you all know my story that I'm "if it ain't milwaukee it ain't cool" kind of guy. Big City kind of guy who loves milwaukee and everything that it is and isn't. I have to confess I hate living here in winter, I can't stand the weather even 40 degress is freezing to me. I don't care for change of seasons and never did like fall anyways. I wish I could stay but I'm too much of a pansy to stay and put up with this weather for more than half my life. 3 months of summer is not enough for me. My wife graduates from grad school in 1-2yrs and the at that point where ever I can convince her to move that's where we will go. She loves San Diego and I love South Florida and having lived in both I prefer South Florida. I dig the latin flavor or carribean feel it has vs mountians and cool weather, SD is just to cold for me. I know head scratcher. I don't want to spend more than half of my life in cold, dreary, snowy, gray weather. I know I'm just whinning b/c it's winter and probably wouldn't be in summer. So until we move I'll keep posting on CD and when I move either SD or MIA I'll have to change my screen name. Would you ever leave for weather and have you ever done it? I have once and I should've never moved back to Milwaukee. I relocated to Boca Raton and loved my time there. Why not live somewhere where people go to vaction? My perfect world would be Miami in winter and Milwaukee in summer but what kind of job or life would that be for my future kids. I really can't believe people actually like this weather, I think their either too proud to admit it sucks or there afraid to move. Another reason I hate winter, it's very depressing in the winter. I find myself not motiaved and I have more bad days in winter, I need sun to live.

1-2 yrs and counting....
The Midwest is tough to live in during winter. I used to dread the sudden downturn in the weather that inevitably occurs sometime during mid to late October, and doesn't reverse itself until late February or early March.

A string of work and personal relocations led me to Arizona where I spend most of my time now. The weather is beautiful most of the year, although it's very hot for a few months. The bitter cold is worse than blazing heat, if you ask me.

I will grant that sunbelt states are overrun with chain stores and chain restaurants and chain everything. It's a little creepy and disturbing at times. My neighborhood is fairly homogenized, typical tan homes and tile roofs, with mountains and foothills mixed into the scenery. There is no trash anywhere, though. Roads aren't riddled with potholes, there isn't a ghetto anywhere nearby, and the sun shines almost every day. Is this bad? It depends on what unit of measure you use, when you measure quality of life. There are many different measurements, and you can live a nice life in a sunny, warm climate. You will not be afforded some of the opportunities of a place like Milwaukee, but you will be afforded different opportunities. it just depends on the opportunities that you are looking for, and whether the new place of residence offers things that you like.

My recommendation would be to relocate where you think you want to go, and if you end up not liking it, leave. It's as simple as that.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I can't believe how you just nailed it on the head!!!!(enjoyEP) This is exactly how I feel. I love Milwaukee beyond all belief and in the summer it's really hard to think of moving any where else. The only reason I want to move is weather. If life turns out that miami or sd isn't what it's cracked up to be, then it's not the end of the world or impossible to move back. Hard yes but not impossible, I'm a can and always positive kind of guy so admitting I was wrong has never been an issue with me. I love going to the beach, if I had one word to describe me well like joe bidden it would be Miami Beach.(lol we'll see if anyone else get this rip).
But just think of your total hrs of your whole life, now think of how many days you spend inside during winter now multiply that by how many yrs you have lived or projected to live. Want to talk about depressing seeing that more of my years of life will be spent inside my house is really depressing. That's why I'm moving or trying to with my wife!!! Remember like Mark Belling said today "people forget that there are still ariplanes" in reference to family as a reason not to relo. Your family will be estatic when they have a place to go twice a year and not have to pay for hotel or food.

Moving to Florida or Califonia will be bitter sweet but as they say the best things in life are bitter sweet.

http://www.wallcoo.net/human/city_night_scene/m01/Neon_Nightlife_South_Beach_Miami_Florida.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Well,then I guess it is time for you to go. I for one, for the first time EVER, have just about had it w/the winter weather this year. Don't know what it is, but when I got out to my car this morning & saw the literal sheet of ice on it that could NOT be cleaned off, I got pissed....seriously pissed. Sigh........but ya know, I have family & friends here, that's really why I stay. But I also LOVE the change in seasons. I really don't think I could live somewhere that didn't have that, I would crave it too much. When spring comes w/the warmer weather & the tulips & crocuses, & then summer w/the warmer t-shirt weather & Summerfest & grilling out & then fall comes where it's still warm but then the leaves start changing & falling & then the first snowfall......I'm sorry, even though I have for the first time in my life bitched about the winter weather....I don't think I'd trade it or the other seasons for anything.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Just a word of warning. Miami summers are intense. High heat and humidity plus downpours every day. You may end up spending a lot of time indoors.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Just a word of warning. Miami summers are intense. High heat and humidity plus downpours every day. You may end up spending a lot of time indoors.
I know, I lived there for 8 months during the summer months. I like the intense heat that is the point.

I love 95 and 100% humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee