Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM

13 posts, read 43,140 times

Advertisements

Greetings from WA State. I have been spending enormous amounts of time looking thru the Craigslist and specific neighborhood association sites, trying to get an idea about housing in Milwaukee. I anticipate a job offer with MPS, and a subsequent move some time late summer.

I currently own a 2 story Victorian in WA which has about 1800 sq ft, plus an unfinished basement. I expect to and want to minimize my life a bit. But, I really don't see us going below 1300 or 1400 sq ft at the most. And, at this point in our lives (late 30's/early 40's with a 16 yr old) I don't see us in an apt, maybe a condo downtown while we get an idea of where to buy, but not an apt exactly, in the traditional sense.

I'm not finding single family homes listed. Do people usually not live in single fam homes there, and just do the duplex lifestyle? I think we'll probably want to rent a place to get a good idea of where we fit in. And, I have to stay in the city limits, which is fine because I love the urban, funky downtown, neighborhood revitalization thing which I'm involved with here where I live. Would love a Victorian or Craftsman to rent, maybe even rent to own. I thought it would be easy up there, but am I wrong...should I reconsider this all?

Any advice and info would be great. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

If it helps:
I'm 36, hubby 42, daughter 16. Fairly liberal, post-grad degrees. Love walking to places rather than use car. Safe neighborhood (as in not getting mugged/shot, but expect some property crimes), but not necessarily where all the other Ph.D.s live if it means snooty suburbia.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Look at Brewers Hill neighborhood, Brady Street area, Bay View, Walker's Point or anywhere on the Lower East side or Upper East Side would fit your bill.

Shorewest Realtors - Wisconsin Real Estate - Milwaukee Real Estate

This is a great website I use to look for houses, they have a map feature which is easy to use, they also list listings from different company's not just shorewest.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Default Thanks..is there a rental option?

Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you know if this company also lists single family rentals online?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Oh I forgot Riverwest a very artsy type of neighborhood,

I used this website for rentals its the best one out there

Apartments For Rent - Nationwide Apartment Rental Search - ForRent.com

Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 AM

Default Thanks. But...

Riverwest....I was curious about that area, too, although I've read mixed reviews. It does seem like a good place for us, as long as it's physically safe. I sometimes read it's not.

Thanks for the link for rentals, but it's for apartments. My difficulty has been in finding single family homes. It almost seems like finding a single family home for rent is an impossible task in Milwaukee. For several reasons, one of which may be that my home back in WA may still be on the market when I get to Milwaukee (hopefully not), I think it may be best for us to rent for a few years at first. At this point in our lives, I just don't see us in an apartment or these slit home duplexes I keep running across.

Any leads on where single family homes are listed in Milwaukee would be great. Not much luck using Craigslist or the neighborhood association websites.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
Default Try this web page

Not sure if this will help, but I found the following webpage with listing for the city of Milwaukee home rentals. Good Luck!

[URL="http://www.vast.com/rentals/home/location-Milwaukee--WI/range-city]Single"]www.vast.com/rentals/home/location-Milwaukee--WI/range-city]Single[/URL] Family Homes For Rent In Milwaukee, Wisconsin[/url]

Last edited by ydailey; 03-15-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: didn't look right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: