Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 30's and may be taking a job in Milwaukee and I wanted to get some feedback on the city.

First off, how is the city for young single professionals? Are there plenty of things to do?

Second, is it a nice city? I would definitely want to live in a nice apartment building in a great area of town either downtown or on Lake Michigan. Any recommendations on neighborhoods or apartment buildings that are ideal for young professionals?

I'm really just interested in getting people's feedback on the city since I may have to decide between Milwaukee and Burlington, VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:42 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Well it depends what specifics you are looking for, overall I would say Milwaukee is a better fit than Burlington. If you want a bigger city vibe or a smaller town vibe and what you like to do in your free time. I think you will be surprised on how nice Milwaukee just like how many athletes and famous people come here with a perception and leave pleased. I am going to link up an article written by the LA Times, it is very worth the read. Hear the vroom at the new Harley museum in Milwaukee - Travel - LATimes.com.

Milwaukee's hip areas include Upper and Lower east sides, downtown, Third Ward, Walker's Point, Bay View, Brewers Hill. As someone who has been to many cities all over the US I think you will be surprised as well. Sports are huge in Milwaukee along with drinking, we also have a very good restaurant scene with a emphasis on non-chain restaurants. A very nice club and lounge scene and many sports bars to fill your need. Entertainment wise Milw has a lot to offer such as the arts scene and various festivals and ethnic festivals. If you need ultra high end shopping Chicago is only a hour drive or hour train ride from downtown MKE(as it is often called).

With Milwaukee being on Lake Michigan it's like having an ocean view without the hurricanes and the cost of living on a ocean. Milwaukee's suburbs are also very nice, clean and safe, from urban suburbs like Wauwatosa and Whitefish Bay to more rural suburbs like Mequon and Germantown. Be sure to check out the photos of Milw in the photo thread to get a better view and feel of the city. Here are a few links to check out.

OnMilwaukee.com - Milwaukee's Daily Magazine

Milwaukee Nights | Milwaukee Night Life, Milwaukee Clubs, Milwaukee DJs, Milwaukee Bars and Milwaukee Events Community!

Urban Milwaukee

FUEL Milwaukee

VISIT Milwaukee | Info - Vacation - Hotels - Meetings - Events - Tours

Old 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times
Thanks for the info. Is Milwaukee similar to Boston? I figured with the sports scene and being on the water they may be similar. I've been to Madison and I like it there but Milwaukee seems much more exciting.

I would definitely like to live where the action is so I do love downtown areas but the thought of living on the water really interests me as well. Any neighborhoods on the water you would recommend?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:23 PM

BayView milwaukee - Google Maps

Third Ward/Walker's Point milwaukee - Google Maps

East side/Brewers Hill milwaukee - Google Maps

East Side milwaukee - Google Maps

Lakefront milwaukee - Google Maps

Old 09-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Third Ward: milwaukee - Google Maps

Walker's Point: milwaukee - Google Maps

Brady St Area: milwaukee - Google Maps

Upper East Side: milwaukee - Google Maps

Yankee Hill: milwaukee - Google Maps

Old 09-25-2010, 05:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Thanks for the info. Is Milwaukee similar to Boston? I figured with the sports scene and being on the water they may be similar. I've been to Madison and I like it there but Milwaukee seems much more exciting.

I would definitely like to live where the action is so I do love downtown areas but the thought of living on the water really interests me as well. Any neighborhoods on the water you would recommend?
My Dad is from the Boston area so I'm familiar with Boston and if I had to pick between the two I would choose Milwaukee. Boston is larger and more cosmopolitan, but the higher costs and hassle with traffic doesn't make it worth it. Milwaukee has ,for the most part, the same things to offer as Boston at a much lower price and less hassle. The areas Milwaukee City mentioned are excellent choices to pick from. I think you'll enjoy Milwaukee and fit in. IMO it's a great city for a young professional with plenty to do. It's not like New York or Chicago though, you have to put some effort into finding your fun and things to do, but its not that difficult.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 23,488 times
I visited Milwaukee back in October 2007 and I liked it. I would like to move there in the near future.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM

88 posts, read 214,983 times
I think it all depends,are you coming from a city larger than Milwaukee? Say about the the same caliber as Chicago,San Fran,etc... Then you may be disappointed by what Milwaukee has to offer. Although,more and more non-Milwaukee natives I run into seem to like Milwaukee...

Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 PM

117 posts, read 367,880 times
I just moved here a few months ago and I'm very happy here. I feel there is plenty of stuff to do. There are so many good restaurants that I have only gone to a fraction of all the ones I want to try...plenty of bars if that's your kind of thing...lots of touring musicians come through Milwaukee and if they don't come here then they'll likely have a concert in Chicago. I feel this is an under-rated place.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,947 times
Culturally you want to be close to downtown because that is the center of cultural activity. Theaters, music venues, great movie theaters, festivals, art galleries, museums, clubs, sports bars, comedy clubs, good restaurants, university events, etc are all in or adjacent to downtown. The problem is finding enough time to do it all because I can't.

Even if your "cultural activities" are limited to watching sports and drinking you will still have plenty to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee