Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 17,091 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone here:

Finally found a good forum here,

Since a lot of snowing days in Milwaukee, what kinda car would be nice to have in this city for a single 20's male.

My major concern is about safety of driving in bad days, so a quality SUV or crossover would be something I wanna look for? like X3...

What kind of car features would be a must? like AWD, heated seats?

Greatly appreicate for all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 05:46 PM

20 posts, read 71,128 times
maybe I'm a bit silly, but I've never really understand questions like these. We live in a city, the streets are cleared on a (fairly) regular basis. You aren't going to be offroading on 3 feet of ice. A lot of people like to have 4 wheel drive for winter, maybe you could look into that if you're concerned I guess. A heater that works would probably be good enough, but if you really want luxury, heated seats, sure.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
I've driven European rear wheel drive sedans in Milwaukee for the last 20 years. I still have one. The roads do get bad once in a while. However, the biggest issue is having very good tires, not so much having AWD.

The AWD would be a big benefit if you parked on the streets. If you park underground, it's not necessary. If you park on the street, AWD helps you get in and out of snowbanks that are formed by plows and other cars parking. AWD is very nice, and if you can afford it and the car you want is optioned with it (or standard) then you won't dislike it.

Heated seats and outside mirrors are a very nice feature, and almost mandatory if you have leather seats. Also carry a shovel just in case of emergencies. I have gotten more than one car (including 4wd SUV) hung up on snow so that all 4 wheels were spinning. Ten minutes of shoveling and I was back on the road. Please understand this is not a common occurrence.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Good Post 43/87.

The most important thing to have is a small shovel or and ice scraper. Also keep in mind where you are parking, if you park on a side street at 8am for work chances are when you come out at 4 or 5 the city plows will have plowed that street 6 or 7 times over meaning you may now be plowed in again. Especially if you start work at 6 or 7. Tires are really important, I used to put on just winter tires starting Dec 1 thru April 1st and that helps greatly.

You don't need a truck or suv in Milwaukee, maybe out in the sticks but in Milwaukee County the streets are plowed very well IMO. However I do live where I am surrounded by 4 very busy streets so my streets are usually clear by 8am anyways due to all the buses and rush hour commuters.

Drive slow and anticipate the other drivers next move and you'll be fine.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM

448 posts, read 1,820,947 times
Anywhere in the city the streets are plowed quickly. As long as you drive smartly, a front wheel drive car will work well. I've driven them all and found a front wheel drive car works better than a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee unless you have lots of weight over the rear axle.

As has been said before you can have a vehicle that drives through snow like it was dry pavement but the hazards are in people that have no clue on how to drive in snow with crappy cars. I've had close encounters with those people and was only able to avoid them because I was driving slow and cautiously. Good anti-lock brakes will save you from more winter weather accidents than AWD.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
What is more critical than the VEHICLE that you drive is the condition of your tires and YOUR ABILITY to adjust your driving behavior to the weather conditions.

I have not had any problems getting around in a Toyota Corolla in any weather. However, after a while, you decide that it is better to stay home than to drive in an ice storm.

One more thing. Carry things like blankets, a shovel, flares and the like in case you do run off of the road. You may not use the stuff for years but the one night your car breaks down when it is -7F and you wait 75 minutes for AAA, you will be glad you have it.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 AM

thank you all so much!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
I'd suggest a VW Jetta. Good tires and Front Wheel Drive is all you'll need. I drive one in North Central Minnesota, Milwaukee would be a walk in the park comparitively. Can't beat the better gas milage either.

Watch out for idiots on the highway when the roads get slippery, you'll see car after car in the ditch. It won't be due to anything more than un-safe driving, not the lack of Four or All Wheel Drive.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I'd suggest a VW Jetta. Good tires and Front Wheel Drive is all you'll need. I drive one in North Central Minnesota, Milwaukee would be a walk in the park comparitively. Can't beat the better gas milage either.

Watch out for idiots on the highway when the roads get slippery, you'll see car after car in the ditch. It won't be due to anything more than un-safe driving, not the lack of Four or All Wheel Drive.

Does that happen a lot on the highway???, sounds scary...

Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinzzz View Post
Does that happen a lot on the highway???, sounds scary...
Yes, you'll see it every time the roads turn slippery. Drive too fast and off you go, so it's avoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee