Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times

Advertisements

I am flying to see my sister in Milwaukee from Virginia for the first time (I usually drive) and need to know a few things because I will bringing my 4 and 6 yr. olds with me.

How many airports are nearby and which is the best airport and carrier? Does anyone know of a good rent-a-car company at the airport where I can get a car with two child car booster seats in it.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Midwest Airlines and Hertz is very good.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
Thanks Milwaukee City!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 PM

292 posts, read 891,266 times
Southwest flys from Dulles or BWI to Chicago (Midway) that would be my choice in how to go with kids. Since you advoid switching planes that way. Chicago to Milwaukee is roughly an hour to 2 hour ride. As far a rental cars go all of them have seats for rent but I've always found Enterprise to be the cheapest and they have multiple locations in the Milwaukee area so if the car were to breakdown they can get you a replacement quickly.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
Southwest flys from Dulles or BWI to Chicago (Midway) that would be my choice in how to go with kids. Since you advoid switching planes that way.
Not sure if the original poster will still be checking this thread, however, I have to respectfully disagree with this advice.

This is a mom with two small children visiting her sister in Milwaukee for the first time. While it is absolutely 100% true that taking Southwest would have its advantages (especially in terms of cost, as well as in terms of a non-stop flight which admittedly is a huge advantage), there is NO WAY I would advise a first-timer to Milwaukee - coming for a leisurely visit - ESPECIALLY with young kids - to fly into Midway. Even O'Hare under that scenario is pushing it, but depending upon the time / day of the week, that person could still be a 3, 3.5 hour traffic-clogged drive away from MKE.

Transversely, MKE's airport is so convenient and navigatable, flying into it to me makes a huge difference which far outweighs having to possibly make a connection.

As for airlines, I would go with whatever is cheapest (and flights most condusive to your schedule)...big carriers here are the aforementioned Midwest (great airline, although on the pricey side), Northwest (owns Midwest essentially), or AirTran (kind of Southwest-esque); another option (not sure if they fly commonly from MKE to the east) would be Frontier (if the route exists).

Go to Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare | Priceline.com and do a search under your date parameters. Pick out some cheap, good routes, and then go directly to those airlines' sites.

Rental car companies?? They all pretty much should meet your requirements. Go with whoever will give you the best price.

Have a blast in MKE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee