Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM

158 posts, read 487,944 times

Advertisements

Wales!
Small village, blue ribbon public schools, great community feel, very close to both total nature (kettle moraine, lake country) and a mere 20 minutes straight west on the freeway from Childrens.
Lots of big city amenities very close, but a wonderful small community feeling where we all know our neighbors.
I think Cedarburg is great, but a bit expensive, and the drive from Cedarburg to Childrens is acky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM

36 posts, read 86,418 times
My father and step-mom live in Dousman. They're suggesting Cedarburg, Mequon, Grafton, Menomonee Falls, Sussex, Pewaukee, Hartland, Delafield, Nashotah, and Lannon. Thoughts on those? I had mentioned Eagle to them (I have a friend there) and got a resounding NO!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 PM

603 posts, read 2,365,972 times
I really think Cedarburg is what you are looking for.

Lake Country (Hartland, Nashotah, etc) will not give you that small town. Snooty, overly competitive. Extra-marital affairs, swingers, 45 year olds smoking pot in hot tubs....I'm not even kidding-this is what I hear from anyone who lives there. Lots of people who make a lot of money having mid-life crisises.

Cedurburg is more quaint, wholesome.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 PM

20 posts, read 71,279 times
I am a big fan of the Grafton/Port Washington area..although Port is kind of far to drive to Children's Hospital

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM

158 posts, read 487,944 times
You know littledog, people smoke pot everywhere. Extra marital affairs - everywhere. Mid-life crises - again...
Swingers, well now, that makes me wonder about your friends, because sometimes you find what you are looking for!
Delafield and Wales both have a small town feel, but you are are right Lake Country - Delafield and north of there- are very wealthy and competitive.

Eagle does not have a good school district or public services and it isn't easy to get from there to anywhere.
Since your family lives in Dousman - this is to the OP - you might enjoy the way the children, in their delightfully cruel way, describe it. Kettle Moraine blue ribbon schools pull from the Dousman Dirties, the Wales Whiners and the Cushing (that would be those Lake Country rich kids) Crybabies.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 PM

30 posts, read 95,433 times
marchesefam - Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and the Herma Heart Center are incredible, as I am sure you know. We had to move out of state (500 miles away), but will continue to have our son (with heart defects) followed there. We lived in Fox Point and had the life style you are describing. I would recommend looking at Fox Point as well as the other suggestions previously mentioned. There is a great Moms Group in the Northshore (Fox Point, Bayside, Whitefish Bay), the schools are incredible, and our kids were out in the neighborhood playing with the other neighborhood kids all the time.

I also wanted to let you know, if you are interested, that there is a Mended Little Hearts of Milwaukee group. They are a wonderful group and great resource. Good luck with your move!!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 56,503 times
Not sure how big is too big, but what about West Bend?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM

10 posts, read 38,294 times
When we were looking to buy a home 2 years ago, we stumbled with Sussex by chance and thankfully so. We were looking at similar places such as brookfield, cedarburg, menomonee falls, mequon, etc
We are so very happy to have ended up in Sussex. It is a breeze to go north or east from here, people are real friendly, school system is fantastic. for such a small place we actually have a variety of restaurants to choose from, two supermarkets, etc. I have a feeling ther is still much growth happening within the next 5-10 years in sussex.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 13,650 times
I would suggest the Lake Country area,
Oconomowoc, Delafield, Hartland,
great schools, all within 45 minutes of Children's
PLUS, you would be close to the grandparents but not too close.
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee