Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of milwaukee is your favorite?
East-town..near the lake 12 19.67%
West-town...near marquette 0 0%
Third Ward 5 8.20%
East Side 18 29.51%
Walkers Pt. 1 1.64%
Riverwest 3 4.92%
Bayview 8 13.11%
other 14 22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,127,291 times

Advertisements

I have to change my vote to Thee Third Ward.

http://www.weddingmapper.com/photos/6/68/156650_l.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM

wow the third ward is not as popular on here as I thought it would be. Is there a stereo type or stigma I don't know about besides it being yuppie town?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,079,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
wow the third ward is not as popular on here as I thought it would be. Is there a stereo type or stigma I don't know about besides it being yuppie town?
No, the yuppies alone are enough to turn off most of us. Don't get me wrong, the Third Ward has some cool stuff, like Maier Festival Park and the Public Market. It just lacks the personality and soul of some of Milwaukee's older neighborhoods. If I could ever afford one of those converted warehouse condos, I would personally choose Walker's Point over the Third Ward. I voted for the East Side, but as I grow older the near South Side areas like Bay View, Mitchell Street, Polonia, and Lincoln Village are becoming more appealing to me. I went to a hip-hop show at Liquor Sweets this weekend and had a great time.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM

395 posts, read 1,862,357 times
Even though I live in Sherman Park, I'd have to log a vote for Riverwest as my favorite Milwaukee neighborhood. There is simply no other place in Milwaukee quite like it. In Riverwest you have old Italians living next to punks living next to Puerto Ricans living next to crunchy granola types living next to yuppies living next to ... you get the idea. It's everything and everyone in a cohesive, walkable package that's close to downtown.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

No Brewers Hill on this poll??

Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM

118 posts, read 437,184 times
Default My favorite Milwaukee neighborhood

Other: Near North Side.

I go over to the area around Teutonia & North a lot, my woman lives over there. Some knuckleheads over there but some really good people at the same time.

As for the worst neighborhood: it's a crowded field, but I would have to say the East Side.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
As for the worst neighborhood: it's a crowded field, but I would have to say the East Side.
Why? and Teutonia and North are not what you would call a safe area

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,757 times
[quote=KC3700;9528615)

As for the worst neighborhood: it's a crowded field, but I would have to say the East Side.[/QUOTE]

I often get Downer Ave and Lake Dr. confused with N.Hopkins and 27th and Center. There are houses on the east side which are worth as much as an entire block on the north side. Either you are new to town or you have Milwaukee confused with another city.

N.Palmer, Hubbard and Richards are not the east side they are on the north side. Many north siders view this area as the east side. It's the east side of the hood, not the east side of Milwaukee.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM

118 posts, read 437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why? and Teutonia and North are not what you would call a safe area
As far as personal safety goes, the area has tons of problems. But 90% of the people over there are good honest hard-working folks. These people are the nicest I have ever seen, they look out for their neighbors, many of whom they know by name. They make a tremendous effort to take care of what they have. They discipline their kids better than most that I've seen.

My girlfriend lives over there and the first few times I went over there I was nervous as all hell. But she explained the neighborhood to me and showed me around and I got over it real quick.

It all depends on what street or block you are on. It doesn't start getting solidly dangerous until you go west of 20th or north of Center. But even if you are west of 20th there are isolated safe spots too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton
Either you are new to town or you have Milwaukee confused with another city.
I'm born and raised, buddy.

Quote:
N.Palmer, Hubbard and Richards are not the east side they are on the north side. Many north siders view this area as the east side. It's the east side of the hood, not the east side of Milwaukee.
What made you think I was talking about the Harambee neighborhood? That's where I live at. It's definitely got it's problems, but it's not my least favorite neighborhood in the city. My least favorite neighborhood in the city is what people in my neighborhood have called the 'deep east side'. Oakland, Farwell, Prospect, Brady, etc. Not a fan.

I have many reasons for disliking this part of the city. One of them is the arrogance in this post:
Quote:
There are houses on the east side which are worth as much as an entire block on the north side.
This is true, but it's not the fault of the North Siders. It's due to problems like blockbusting, segregation and population decline; as well as problems that have been created by these, such as urban decay and slumlords.

But Allan goes even further into being arrogant by saying I must be new to town and confusing the deep east side to Holton Street. After all, it's not like anyone could possibly not be a fan of the East Side, right?

Wrong again.

I have had many friends who not only don't like the deep east side, they go a step farther and say they hate it. The reason that they would give usually is that they don't feel welcome over there and that the area is mainly geared towards white yuppies. I couldn't argue with them, it's not like the East Side isn't geared towards them.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,757 times
This deep East side must be a new one. I've never heard this before. If you like the north side, then fine. You stated that the East side was the worst side of town and I responded. As far as the worst side of town. To me it isn't a crowded field at all. Again, you said worst, not least favorite. There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee