Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of milwaukee is your favorite?
East-town..near the lake 12 19.67%
West-town...near marquette 0 0%
Third Ward 5 8.20%
East Side 18 29.51%
Walkers Pt. 1 1.64%
Riverwest 3 4.92%
Bayview 8 13.11%
other 14 22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM

118 posts, read 437,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
This deep East side must be a new one. I've never heard this before.
Yeah, when some of us on "the East Side of the Hood" are talking about going over to the East Side, that's what we call it sometimes.

Example: "They're cracking down on parking. Just got me a $65 ticket. They're doing this all over the East Side.""

"You mean over here?"

"No man, the deep east side."

Quote:
If you like the north side, then fine. You stated that the East side was the worst side of town and I responded. As far as the worst side of town. To me it isn't a crowded field at all.
Really? Seemed to me that the opposite was true. In just one post you denigrated the Park West neighborhood (27th & Hopkins) and Harambee (Palmer & Center).

Quote:
Again, you said worst, not least favorite. There is a difference.
And that difference is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,006,135 times
When I hear worst what comes to mind is the following: Blight, crime, poverty and other related problems. Least favorite is what you like the least. You don't like the deep east side and think the people are snobs. Thats O.K. Thats how you feel. But it is not the worst side of town. The problems, mentioned above, are much worse on the north side. Nobody will dispute this.

Why is it O.K. for you to rip on the east side and call people white yuppie snobs, but if I say something bad about the north side you get bent all out of shape. I guess you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM

I'll cut you some slack on Harambee. There are beautiful homes on 1st and 2nd streets around Wright and Clark, but Hopkins. You have got to be joking. Hopkins between Locust and Capitol is bad news. Hang around 16th & Hopkins or Townsend and Hopkins at anytime past noon. Gangs all over. This may be the worst part of the city. If your there around 8am it may be O.K. After that I would get out of dodge. Drive between Locust and Capitol and find me one decent business. Nothing, but store front churches, hand car washes and a few terrible corner stores. Nothing else. And you call this the best area of town. Why don't you call Gary Ind. Americans finest city while you are at it.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:25 PM

483 posts, read 1,223,332 times
Metcalfe Park.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Why is it O.K. for you to rip on the east side and call people white yuppie snobs, but if I say something bad about the north side you get bent all out of shape. I guess you can dish it out, but you can't take it.
The simple fact is that I, and every other resident of the North Side has been 'taking it' for decades. We have had to deal with all sorts of problems for forever. Our trash pickup is unreliable, the roads are poorly maintained, streets are sparsely lit when they are lit at all. We have to deal with all of our jobs being in the suburbs, which are practically inaccessible by our unreliable bus routes.

Your talking like we're on a level playing field, and that the north side isn't basically under attack. There are numerous problems you just aren't recognizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I'll cut you some slack on Harambee. There are beautiful homes on 1st and 2nd streets around Wright and Clark, but Hopkins. You have got to be joking.
I have to be joking? You're the one who brought up Hopkins, which is in a different neighborhood. I said North Ave. Hopkins is up between Locust and 31st & Capitol (although there is a small segment of it east of Teutonia.

Also: thank you for partially agreeing with me about Harambee, but it's spelled C-L-A-R-K-E, not 'Clark'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton
Drive between Locust and Capitol and find me one decent business. Nothing, but store front churches, hand car washes and a few terrible corner stores. Nothing else.
Once again, more arrogance. These people who run these 'terrible' stores are just like you and me: people who are trying to survive in this economy. I really resent you looking down on these people for the capital sin of **gasp** trying to provide for the well-being of themselves and their families.

This is why we don't like the east side. They take a drive through other parts of town and figure that they have them all figured out.

Quote:
Hang around 16th & Hopkins or Townsend and Hopkins at anytime past noon.
Does 8:45 p.m. count? I've been up there repeatedly at all times of the day. I will say that even though it is rough territory, I have never had any problems. Same thing for the sides streets like Chambers.

Quote:
Gangs all over.
How can you tell that the people you saw were gang members?

Quote:
Why don't you call Gary Ind. Americans finest city while you are at it.
Never been there. See, I don't make snap judgements about cities and areas that I have little knowledge of.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

KC3700 I'm glad you like the north side. I'm sure you have many friends and family there and have a special bond with the neighborhood. I'm sure your sick of people ripping on the north side and bringing up all the problems over and over again. I see where you are coming from. But keep in mind this works both ways. You brought up that the east side was the worst side of town. If your going to play this game, expect people to come back at you.

As far as gangs on Hopkins. Call them whatever you want. All I know is that this street is trouble. I should know I've been down Hopkins at least a thousand times. If you think its safe. Good for you. I won't walk down this street late at night during the summer with a M-16 strapped around my back and in full body armor. If your offended by this than to bad.

I've been to Gary. It looks a lot like Hopkins.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
KC3700 I'm glad you like the north side. I'm sure you have many friends and family there and have a special bond with the neighborhood. I'm sure your sick of people ripping on the north side and bringing up all the problems over and over again.
I am offended at people ribbing on the North Side, but if you want to discuss the problems it has in a constructive manner I would welcome that. We need more of that.

What we don't need more of is the constant "Tho north side is worse than Beirut on a hot day!"-type comments. These accomplish nothing but scaring parts of the population and angering others.

Quote:
I see where you are coming from. But keep in mind this works both ways. You brought up that the east side was the worst side of town. If your going to play this game, expect people to come back at you.
And my point was exactly that. My neighborhood and neighbors are constantly vilified by right wing radio pundits and even people who consider themselves 'progressive'. I was 'coming back'.

All I said was that I don't like that part of town. You responded by attacking my intelligence when you said that I must be confused.

Quote:
As far as gangs on Hopkins. Call them whatever you want.
Actually, you seem to have made a snap judgement. I was just calling you out on it.

Quote:
All I know is that this street is trouble. I should know I've been down Hopkins at least a thousand times. If you think its safe. Good for you.
The funny thing is that I never even said it was safe. In my earlier post I responded saying that I actually avoid that area cause it's more wild than Brown.

What I WAS challenging was your preconceptions on that area and it's residents. There are a lot of crazy people over there, but it's not just their neighborhood. Every day there are people over there who get up and go to work just like you and me. And yes, they do walk around after 12 noon, ffs.

Quote:
I've been to Gary. It looks a lot like Hopkins.
I actually agree with you. Which is why I said in my earlier post that Milwaukee needs to have a serious dialogue about what's happening to the north side. Cause it's not just gonna affect the north side.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM

KC3700 - Nothing wrong with a good debate. It keeps us thinking and engaged.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,131,534 times
For me my fav. part of town is Walker's Point and the Third Ward. I like the fact the Walker's Point has a warehouse district but also has very nice homes on 3rd street and 4th street with nice size lawns and let's not forget great architecture.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,324,010 times
The East Side is by far one of the most underrated urban neighborhoods in the country! It boasts an unbelievable lakefront location with very dense, walkable development and a very vibrant young population. Housing prices are also very reasonable when compared to similar neighborhoods elsewhere in the country.

Other neighborhoods that I love include Washington Park, Sherman Park, East Town, Third Ward, Riverwest, and Walkers Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee