Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKlover View Post
Racine is considered part of greater Milwaukee. A suburb? i dont know. But it is part of the metro area. Kenosha is just another sizable city on that whole urbanized stretch along Lake Michigan, from the northern suburbs of Milwaukee to the southern suburbs of Chicago.
Racine has more in common with Kensosha than it does Milwaukee. Racine is 30 minutes South and Kenosha 40. They have plenty of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 38,839 times
Milwaukee metro area is actually 1.7 million plus ( if you include very nearby Racine,Wi).

Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 38,839 times
Well Racine is still considered part of Greater Milwaukee, according to US Census Bureau.
Check this: Milwaukee–Racine–Waukesha Metropolitan Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2009, 04:36 PM

393 posts, read 891,692 times
Racine is undeniably Milwaukee Metro, but it's NOT a suburb. "Suburb" implies high-income housing and semi-posh residents who mostly commute to the main city, but that is DEFINITELY not Racine. Racine is almost ghetto. It shares more in common with Kenosha (which is misattributed by the dumb census people as part of the Chicago area because it has a half-running Chicago-bound train station) than with Milwaukee. It is its own city, as Kenosha is, not a suburb, but it is of course within the metro area.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,010 times
To EnjoyEP....Just wanted to thank you for such an extensive comparison. i am currently living in Minneapolis, and after ten years, and I considering moving back to Milwaukee. I am a teacher, so I'm a little concerned with what's going on in MPS - numerous teacher lay-offs. But I find it hard to make friends in Minneapolis outside of work. I guess there's Minnesota nice, but I'm just yearning some of the comforts of being back "home"

Old 08-12-2010, 05:06 AM

335 posts, read 675,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearteach View Post
To EnjoyEP....Just wanted to thank you for such an extensive comparison. i am currently living in Minneapolis, and after ten years, and I considering moving back to Milwaukee. I am a teacher, so I'm a little concerned with what's going on in MPS - numerous teacher lay-offs. But I find it hard to make friends in Minneapolis outside of work. I guess there's Minnesota nice, but I'm just yearning some of the comforts of being back "home"
most people in minneapolis will only get to know you through some mutual friend. i had a chance to go to milwaukee and the people there seem much more open and friendly. the minnesota nice thing is something they can keep telling themselves if thats what makes them happy and i was born and raised in the cities. i like to get to know new people but people like me here are few and far in between,

Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 AM

17 posts, read 40,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
Racine is undeniably Milwaukee Metro, but it's NOT a suburb. "Suburb" implies high-income housing and semi-posh residents who mostly commute to the main city, but that is DEFINITELY not Racine. Racine is almost ghetto. It shares more in common with Kenosha (which is misattributed by the dumb census people as part of the Chicago area because it has a half-running Chicago-bound train station) than with Milwaukee. It is its own city, as Kenosha is, not a suburb, but it is of course within the metro area.
Agreed.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,318 times
FYI-To some of the post above. Milwaukee is larger than Minneapolis and St. Paul combined-look it up for yourself. Metro area may be larger and more spread out in MPLS area but city to city-the above posts are false.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,939 times
Two very similar, but different areas. I think if you like one, you'd find the other livable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnellt View Post
FYI-To some of the post above. Milwaukee is larger than Minneapolis and St. Paul combined-look it up for yourself. Metro area may be larger and more spread out in MPLS area but city to city-the above posts are false.
Incorrect. Combined, Minneapolis and Saint Paul are larger both in size and in population. Milwaukee is of course bigger than either one individually.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM

182 posts, read 612,582 times
As someone who is fresh out of college, I enjoy Minneapolis a lot more than Milwaukee. I find the food to be much better, shopping is better, living cost is fair, great night life, excellent airport, excellent young professional crowd, and less racist. My type of city (minus the weather and proximity to other major metros)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee