Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM

14 posts, read 27,316 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Milwaukee in the fall and have started checking out the city. I am pretty excited since it looks like a great, blue-collar town, which I like. Really, the fact there are so many corner dive bars and pubs is what is really attracting me to the place as that is the type of city I grew up in. The one thing I am slightly concerned about is the lack of houses for rent. I am not interested in buying a home right now, but also don't want to rent an apartment. I would like to rent a home so my wife and I can have the space, and a backyard, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on areas of the city to look into where there may be more houses for rent, or good websites to look into. I have been primarilly checking out craigslist and a little on JSonline with varying degrees of success. I am mostly looking into West Allis and Wauwatosa areas, since those seem like the two areas that have the most availability of homes for rent, and is the easiest for me to figure the crime rate is relatively low. Can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 38,166 times
West Allis might meet your needs. You will not find many dive bars or blue coller workers in Wauwatosa, it is pretty upscale and expensive. West Allis has lots of cute little neighborhood bar and the rent is cheaper than Tosa, with still a low crime rate.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
Blue collar suburbs: Cudahy, South Milw, St.Francis, West Allis in most parts, Butler, Brown Deer to a lesser extent, Greenfield in some areas and Oak Creek in a much less extent.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 PM

204 posts, read 752,606 times
Brown Deer is only "blue collar" in relation to the rest of the northshore. And I wouldn't call it blue collar at all, it's just more affordable. There is a difference between the two.

I live in the southern half of the village that contains the smaller 1/4 acre lots (northern half has 1/2 acre or larger lots) and 90% of the people I interact with either have white collar jobs, are a stay-at-homer in single-income household (that's where affordability comes in handy), or are retired.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM

448 posts, read 1,821,086 times
You should be able to find rental houses in West Allis but it's probably more a matter of cruising the areas to find them.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Cudahy or South Milwaukee would probably be good for you. Might not want to identify yourself as "badasscracker" when you're house hunting. It may not promote you in a positive light, therefore you might run into a lot of properties that were just rented, no longer available, etc.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Cudahy or South Milwaukee would probably be good for you. Might not want to identify yourself as "badasscracker" when you're house hunting. It may not promote you in a positive light, therefore you might run into a lot of properties that were just rented, no longer available, etc.
Thanks for the tip...I'll make sure to use my REAL name since I would imagine that they might see through my ruse should they want to do a credit check on me. Where were you when I got my drivers license??

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Brown Deer is only "blue collar" in relation to the rest of the northshore. And I wouldn't call it blue collar at all, it's just more affordable. There is a difference between the two.

I live in the southern half of the village that contains the smaller 1/4 acre lots (northern half has 1/2 acre or larger lots) and 90% of the people I interact with either have white collar jobs, are a stay-at-homer in single-income household (that's where affordability comes in handy), or are retired.
Well I guess I should have been more clear about the description of what I am looking into. I just associate "blue collar" with affordable, and the type of bars my wife and I like to go to. But if there are "affordable" areas that are also low crime and still have those same types of bars then I am all for that too. Really we are looking for a house in the $1000-$1500/mo range, and if it fits most of the above criteria and is no more than a 20 minute or so drive into downtown (where I will be working), then all the better!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscracker View Post
Thanks for the tip...I'll make sure to use my REAL name since I would imagine that they might see through my ruse should they want to do a credit check on me. Where were you when I got my drivers license??
Definitely. I'm merely pointing out that your chances of getting to the point of actually filling out an application, may be diminished greatly, should you use your screen name (or an approximation thereof) in an email or first contact attempt. It may incorrectly paint you as one of those white buffoons who wear chains and gold teeth, and drive a big old Cadillac aimlessly around shady areas of town, bumping hard core rap music. Just saying.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:35 PM

402 posts, read 977,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscracker View Post
Where were you when I got my drivers license??
You mean they DID NOT put badasscracker on your drivers License??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee