Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,282 times

Advertisements

Hello, couple questions regarding bus service in the winter. I've been commuting to work for the last few months using the bus but a little concerned for the winter.

1. How badly are they delayed compared to other seasons? (on one hand theres no construction and less riders(?), but obviously the snow and ice.)
2. Are there noticeably less riders during rush hour?
3. I make one transfer (downtown saint paul), but the stop appears to have heated lamps and are enclosed. How effective are these heat lamps? I suppose I can also hang out in a building until the bus' gps tells me it's close.
4. Anything else to be concerned about?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
The only time you will see any delays is during a snow storm over 4" or so--if it happens to fall AT rush hour. The heat lamps are sufficient to keep you from freezing but certainly not warm enough to go without a winter coat, gloves, etc.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,678,280 times
The bus really sucks when it's snowing. (More people, not fewer, prefer to ride instead of drive in bad weather.) It doesn't snow every day though. Once the streets are plowed, they stick to the schedule as well as any other season.

The heat lamps are there to take the edge off a cold wait while you're standing still, but aren't designed to provide indoor comfort. You still need to wear a coat.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,599,685 times
Based on my experience as a bus commuter, it depends on where you are riding from. If your route follows city streets, the buses will stay pretty close to schedule except during big snows (~5"+). If you are riding a bus in from the burbs that follows the freeways, it'll be slower because rush hour freeway traffic slows down so much when it snows.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,282 times
Thanks for the answers. I'll probably continue being car free .

BTW, it'll be my fourth winter in MN but the first to be sans car.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,752,998 times
Delays are not generally a problem, at least for my city routes. If anything, there seem to be more, not less, riders -- I think perhaps more people trying to avoid driving in snow (or maybe bikers/walkers who switch to bus for the winter?). The heat lamps are a real plus, but they don't replace regular winter gear. They are very nice, though!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,720,681 times
Been there, done that. I used to commute to work by bus to downtown from south Minneapolis. At least once or twice a year, i'd have to wait an hour or more for the bus during a snow storm. They were coming, but stuck in traffic. There were several instances over the years when the bus never showed up at all and I had to take a cab. Don't let folks kid you; taking the bus in the winter is ok 90% of the time, but the other 10% of the time, it is terrible. Be safe and drive if there is any hint of bad weather.

PS Now I drive all the time. It is just much more convenient. If you can afford the parking, skip the bus.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM

98 posts, read 511,363 times
I second what Glenfield said. It is typically fine, but delays are extraordinarily long when a decent snowstorm rolls in. I've waited at a dt St. Paul bus stop for well over an hour multiples times this past winter. It is really anyones guess though, which buses will be really delayed and others less so. Then the issue is that because the buses haven't been stopping frequently, the number of people waiting gets bigger and bigger so that when the bus does come, its jammed full by the 1st 2 stops it makes, so if you are on one of the 1st stops downtown, you'll be ok, but if you are on the last downtown stop, you'll be screwed everytime.

That being said, it is so much nicer once you are on the bus (if you have a seat) to sit and play with your smart phone rather than being out driving in the blizzard yourself.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,752,998 times
There are sometimes delays, but that happens with cars, too; I certainly wouldn't rush out to buy a car just to commute to work on snowy days. Especially given that more people seem to actively prefer the bus on snowy days, as then THEY don't have to be the ones driving in traffic! It's true that on snowy or really rainy days the buses can get really crowded, though, and that is unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul