Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Gotta agree with this.

I know that the 'X' has helped keep some people on the streets after hours (9-5), but there still isn't much to do after a game. It's the same feeling I had after leaving a Twins/Vikings game at the Dome. Drive up, park, watch game, drive home.

I know there is stuff to do in St. P (Science Museum, ect), can't deny that, but there is hardly a time where I will say, " hey, lets go to downtown St. P instead." Overall, I agree it all boils down to housing. If you see other people on the streets you will feel it is a much more lively, exciting place. Obvious, but true.
Yeah, exactly!

It's really hard to go DT STP when you can just go to the bigger, livelier DT in MPLS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
I wouldn't consider downtown St. Paul a ghost town and it actually offers quite a bit in terms of entertainment and interesting architecture. Beyond the Excel and Rivercentre, you also have places like the State Capitol, The Basilica, Harriet Park and the Mississippi river, the Science Museum, Mickey's Diner, etc. There isn't as much of a nightlife scene as you'll find in Uptown and Downtown Minneapolis but there are still some decent options: Alary's, The Liffey, McGovern's, Great Waters Brewing, Tom Reid's, etc. We hang out in Minneapolis the majority of the time but going to Downtown St. Paul will always be a good change of pace. My brother lived in Lowertown for a while and he enjoyed it immensely. I also have a good friend who lives in the condo developments right off the river and Shepherd Rd and we always have a good time when we're over there.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
There is stuff to do, I accept that. Those things are always overshadowed by Minneapolis, sadly. I've never lived in either city, so I can't judge too much.

I also have a friend that lives in those condo/townhouses off of Shepard. Really nice views of the river over there.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I wouldn't consider downtown St. Paul a ghost town and it actually offers quite a bit in terms of entertainment and interesting architecture. Beyond the Excel and Rivercentre, you also have places like the State Capitol, The Basilica, Harriet Park and the Mississippi river, the Science Museum, Mickey's Diner, etc. There isn't as much of a nightlife scene as you'll find in Uptown and Downtown Minneapolis but there are still some decent options: Alary's, The Liffey, McGovern's, Great Waters Brewing, Tom Reid's, etc. We hang out in Minneapolis the majority of the time but going to Downtown St. Paul will always be a good change of pace. My brother lived in Lowertown for a while and he enjoyed it immensely. I also have a good friend who lives in the condo developments right off the river and Shepherd Rd and we always have a good time when we're over there.
Is the Cathedral of Saint Paul also a Basilica? I know that it is possible to be both, but I am not sure if that one is both.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Is the Cathedral of Saint Paul also a Basilica? I know that it is possible to be both, but I am not sure if that one is both.
Yeah, that's what I meant. The Cathedral is in downtown St. Paul, while the Basilica is in Minneapolis.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 AM

106 posts, read 239,042 times
I just spent an evening in DT STP and i was really nice. Quiet Italian restaurant and good music for the family. If I was in my 20s though, I would't think it was jumpin. When both cities get more dense, the twin cities will be world class destinations.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City eYes View Post
When both cities get more dense, the twin cities will be world class destinations.
Can't wait for that.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,049 times
It's always been that way as far as I can remember. Born and raised Eastsider (@30) and it's just always been that way. Leave it, I say. The way I see it is Minneapolis and St. Paul are just one big city - the Twin Cities. Minneapolis is the downtown and St.Paul is just kind of a to the side place. When we were in HS we always wished there were clubs and stuff DT St.P and always went to Minneapolis. Whatever. I'm used to it now.

Besides, we still get great concerts in St. Paul without even mentioning the Taste and other stuff on Harriet, there is the Fitz and of course the X which is an even bigger draw for major acts now than Target. Do I feel like people will mock St. Paul when they come to town for a concert? Kind of. I mean there really is NOTHING there. But like I said, it is what it is.

At least I can drive 3 miles, park at a (free) meter and watch a Wild game anytime I want.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
If anything I think downtown St Paul is more active than it was 20 years ago. It was really dead back then.

St Paul is where I go to hang out if I don't want to run into anyone I know.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM

256 posts, read 585,972 times
There are middle of the night dining options outside of Saint Paul. Flameburger in Columbia Heights is open 24 hours a day, except they close at 2pm Sunday and reopen at 6 am Monday. There's the Hard Times cafe, but a punk vegetarian restuarant might not appeal to everyone.

I don't see much difference between a suburban office park and a downtown office building, other than downtown is a lot easier to get to, and there's more to do. If I'm working downtown, I can easily walk to my choice of restuarants for lunch. In a suburban office park, it can be a long drive to anything.

Then again, when people say "downtown", they don't always mean the same thing. I live in the Powderhorn neighborhood, and people from the suburbs will sometimes call that downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul