Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,719 times

Advertisements

What are the kinds of things that can be done to turn around the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 AM

628 posts, read 1,436,570 times
Downtown Saint Paul currently has 2 things to offer people.

1. Wild games
2. The only late night food spot in the entire metro.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 AM

36 posts, read 112,444 times
Don't forget hoodrats that hang at the bus stops.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,373 times
Lowertown St. Paul also has a small but active, established arts scene. But St. Paul art's biggest problem is that Minneapolis is only 20 minutes away, and the scene is a much bigger draw, so artists and performers go where the action is. One of my performer friends lived in a Lowertown loft for years, but decided to move last year to Willard-Hay neighborhood in Minneapolis near Wirth Park. So now there's an empty loft available for some young upwardly mobile urban type to move in - except:

Another problem of St. Paul is its history as an old government and big business town. There are plenty of impressive monuments and pretty bridges, and big, fancy, empty buildings that once held the titans of industry. But nowadays, everything comes from Shanghai, so there's no need for domestic production, right? Why would you buy a US-made toothbrush for $1.29 when you can get a Chinese one for $1.19? The point is, if you want big old towns to succeed, you're going to have to give people some reason to live and work there. How about making razors at that Gillette plant again?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:48 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
DT STP needs more housing.

If there were around 60,000 residents living downtown, It'd be hopping

Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Ya if there was more housing it'd be more hopping, but the biggest draw is Minneapolis right by it.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 AM

143 posts, read 477,715 times
Downtown Minneapolis also has a creepy vibe about it, IMO.

The idea of a "downtown" the way our society is structured just isn't feasible. As a worker, the thought of having to commute to a "downtown" is a negative, filled with traffic, crime, pollution, over-priced venues, over-priced parking, and a load of stress. I used to work downtown - I should know. The only respite is the Downtown Minneapolis Lifetime Athletic Club - and this place ain't cheap!

Give me my trees, grass, fresh air, and lake viewable from my office window ANY DAY.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Downtown Minneapolis also has a creepy vibe about it, IMO.

The idea of a "downtown" the way our society is structured just isn't feasible. As a worker, the thought of having to commute to a "downtown" is a negative, filled with traffic, crime, pollution, over-priced venues, over-priced parking, and a load of stress. I used to work downtown - I should know. The only respite is the Downtown Minneapolis Lifetime Athletic Club - and this place ain't cheap!

Give me my trees, grass, fresh air, and lake viewable from my office window ANY DAY.

That's great and all, but for every person that 'hates' downtowns because of your said reasons - traffic, crime, pollution?, high prices, parking and stress, there is a person that loves downtowns for walkability, things to do, entertainment, people.

I would love to live Downtown MPLS or STP and work DT too. Walk out of my place into a skyway and to work, and then ride my bike in the summer. Talk about no stress - no car, no car payment, no gas, no insurance, no parking, no traffic.

Downtowns start and end with residency. the more people that make downtown their home, the more active and lively a dowtown is. Minneapolis thrives at this since there is a large # that now live DT MPLS, but MPLS does a great job at not making DT a 9-5 place. With the theaters, museums, restaraunts, venues, Target center and Target Field and Metrodome, the downtown has become a 5-11 place as well. This is what STP lacks. STP lacks that 5-11 activity that is needed for a DT to function.

So, to each their own. To you, DTs are stressful, dangerous and polluted and expensive. To others, DTs are easy, convenient, entertaining and fun

Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
That's great and all, but for every person that 'hates' downtowns because of your said reasons - traffic, crime, pollution?, high prices, parking and stress, there is a person that loves downtowns for walkability, things to do, entertainment, people.

I would love to live Downtown MPLS or STP and work DT too. Walk out of my place into a skyway and to work, and then ride my bike in the summer. Talk about no stress - no car, no car payment, no gas, no insurance, no parking, no traffic.

Downtowns start and end with residency. the more people that make downtown their home, the more active and lively a dowtown is. Minneapolis thrives at this since there is a large # that now live DT MPLS, but MPLS does a great job at not making DT a 9-5 place. With the theaters, museums, restaraunts, venues, Target center and Target Field and Metrodome, the downtown has become a 5-11 place as well. This is what STP lacks. STP lacks that 5-11 activity that is needed for a DT to function.

So, to each their own. To you, DTs are stressful, dangerous and polluted and expensive. To others, DTs are easy, convenient, entertaining and fun
Gotta agree with this.

I know that the 'X' has helped keep some people on the streets after hours (9-5), but there still isn't much to do after a game. It's the same feeling I had after leaving a Twins/Vikings game at the Dome. Drive up, park, watch game, drive home.

I know there is stuff to do in St. P (Science Museum, ect), can't deny that, but there is hardly a time where I will say, " hey, lets go to downtown St. P instead." Overall, I agree it all boils down to housing. If you see other people on the streets you will feel it is a much more lively, exciting place. Obvious, but true.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

Yup each to their own, but to me Downtowns are easy, convenient, entertaining and fun(Everything you said!). Maybe more on the expensive side as well, but if you don't have a car then you'll be able to pay more for housing and other stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul