Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:06 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,233 times

Advertisements

Just make sure you get a survey done before putting one up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 06:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkerdunker View Post
If you end up buying a house without a fence and decide to build one, it would be thoughtful of you to talk about it with your next door nieghbors beforehand. While some people around here like to say "good fences make good neighbors", I've heard about others who have been offended. Might be a "Minnesota Nice" thing... Just let them know it's for your dogs, not because you can't stand looking at them
Good point. Like I said earlier, there was a fence here when we bought the house and none of the neighbors had ever been in our backyard when the previous owners lived here. For some reason some of our neighbors were pretty offended by that.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
The answers were very helpful.

I must say the yards do look nice with no fences and it seems friendlier.

An invisible fence could be a good idea!

We're in the same position and the house we're buying doesn't have a fence. We'll be going with an invisible fence based on conversations we've had with other dog owners. PM me if you get to that point before us and we'll do the same... good luck to us both!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,960 times
I'm very much anti-fence. They're ugly for one thing, but I also find them to be pretty standoff-ish... as if to say "This is my property. KEEP OUT!" The thing about fences is that if you don't like them and your neighbor puts one up, you have no choice in the matter.... you get one whether you like it or not.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 49,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
We're in the same position and the house we're buying doesn't have a fence. We'll be going with an invisible fence based on conversations we've had with other dog owners. PM me if you get to that point before us and we'll do the same... good luck to us both!
Invisible fences are better than no fence. They do, however, have a few shortcomings. They won't keep neighborhood kids from harrasing your dogs, or keep your dogs from defending their territory against the same kids. They won't be a deterrent to someone stealing your dogs. They won't keep other neighborhood dogs from entering your yard and fighting with your dogs. Since your yard will have your dogs' scent, it will attract other dogs and you will have additional shovel time required. Invisible fences are sometimes penetrated by an extremely motivated dog. If your dog gets out, he will not be able to get back in.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM

44 posts, read 235,101 times
Default one other shortcomming...

Invisible fences are invisible. My wife was scared to death once while walking down the sidewalk in our neighborhood when a dog suddenly charged at her and then stopped short of the "fence". Afterwards she noticed a little sign in the yard saying "invisible fence". She wished she had seen that earlier.

If you have a protective dog, a real fence will make passersby have less heart attacks in front of your house. This wouldn't be an issue in a side yard or back yard.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 AM

75 posts, read 477,142 times
Default Good ideas!

We'll play it by ear wonce we get moved regarding a fence. I like the idea of talking to the neighbors first. We're very friendly so I'd hate to get off on the wrong foot.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:47 PM

102 posts, read 622,238 times
I have observed that fenced yards usually are in neighborhoods with small yards. If one is in a neighborhood where the houses have over an acre and you put up a fence, your neighbors may think you are antisocial or very weird. It will also cost a bit. On the contrast, in neighborhoods with small yards, fences are very common. In general, the smaller the yards, the more the fences. Also, higher wealth neighborhoods rarley have fences, even if the yards are small. I have no idea why... Also, in high crime areas, a fence is a good idea because it makes it more difficult for people to go to your house and do crimes.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,792 times
Speaking for my immediate neighborhood, the lots with fences have only done it behind the house. So, assuming you have a decent back lot, you fence the perimeter of your lot in the back and sides up to your house, at which point the fence either cuts across to your house or is not needed due to a deck / porch in back.

I've never asked, but I presume the reason is to create a place for pets to run while not making the front yard look uninviting. We Minnesotans like to be welcoming.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:09 PM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Chain-link fences are ugly, but I like attractive fences, like picket fences or antique wrought-iron ones.
Aside from aesthetics, fences can be very practical for people with children, pets, or a swimming pool.

I'm looking for a house. I have a child, and would like to have pets, so a fence would be a plus to me, especially an attractive one.

My mom once bought a house in Plymouth that had a wooden fence around the back yard. It was an attractive fence, and she liked it. One of her neighbors did not like it though, and talked her into taking it down. He said he "always hated" it. She liked it, but didn't need it, and was more concerned about getting along with her new neighbors. So she tore it down.

Then that neighbor's dog converted her yard into a toilet, and pooped all over it. She complained, but they wouldn't do anything about it. I remember nearly every day she'd be looking out the kitchen or dining room windows watching the neighbor's dog run around from one fenceless yard to the next, complaining that the only reason they wanted her to tear down her fence was so the dog would have more territory to run on (and wishing the dog would die). Needless to say, she didn't become friends with those neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul