Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times

Advertisements

is that guy there usually? first time ive seen someone under that ramp with a sign, have only been in that area a few times though.

for reference, i took 394 east to 6th street ramp a, then under that ramp I saw him.

older white male with a mustache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
is that guy there usually? first time ive seen someone under that ramp with a sign, have only been in that area a few times though.

for reference, i took 394 east to 6th street ramp a, then under that ramp I saw him.

older white male with a mustache.
Might be Brad Childress.

did he look like this?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM

lmao.

seriously though it was shocking seeing a guy with a sign saying im homeless. i dont know if that happens a lot in that area, but it is something i havent seen in a long time.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
lmao.

seriously though it was shocking seeing a guy with a sign saying im homeless. i dont know if that happens a lot in that area, but it is something i havent seen in a long time.
There are alot of panhandlers in Minneapolis, particularly in and around downtown as well as in areas of North and South Minneapolis. There are usually always panhandlers on all the exits from 94/Hiawatha and Cedar Ave on the southside. Another popular area for panhandlers is on Hennepin and Lyndale Avenues near the onramps to 94 and 394. On the northside, I commonly see panhandlers on the 94 ramp from W Broadway Ave.

Some of these people may be homeless but I get the feeling that alot of them just do it to earn some extra income. If you don't want to contribute just ignore them and they won't bother you.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

Some of these people may be homeless but I get the feeling that alot of them just do it to earn some extra income. If you don't want to contribute just ignore them and they won't bother you.
I previously had one near the Basilica turn down food when his sign said "Hungry. Please Help If Can. God Bless.". I just ignore all of them now.

Recently I started seeing some father out from the city which I had never seen in the past. There is usually one at 394 and Louisiana Ave in the afternoon lately with a sign that says something about living in his car. I have seen one at 169 and Highway 7 in the afternoon sometimes too.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Quote:
lmao.

Well thats good that you haven't seen one in a long time I don't think its all that shocking to see.

In the 16 years that I lived in Annandale I saw plenty of em throughout the years. I have seen plenty in St. Cloud, and i had one approach me when I was at the old library downtown a few years ago. I just told him I had no money and he walked away.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,343,321 times
About 7 years ago I was in Portland Oregon and I was surprised to see people asking for money at major intersections in non-downtown areas. They all had signs and just stood there at some major commercial intersection asking for spare change. I remember thinking that we didn't have anything like that in the twin Cities.

Within a year or two, I started seeing people asking for change at Crosstown and Xerxes or France Avenue, along with 36th Street/I-35W in south Minneapolis. I think there was a change in our state law that allowed people to stand at corners and ask for money. Before then , I think it was illegal.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
lmao.

Really??? I just want to check whether you're being sarcastic or just really don't get to the area much. That area (around Target Center/Field up 7th Street to Olson Memorial) is basically Ground Zero for Minneapolis' homeless population. It's home to Salvation Army Harbor Lights (affectionately referred to locally as "Tramp Camp"), the Mary Jo's complex, and other transitional homeless shelters, and not far from a grassy knoll area across the street from Metro Transit where a lot of homeless have slept over the years.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM

rarely go down there. only take that route when i have a delivery to make at my job. a client is located in the convention center, so its not often im around the area

Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I previously had one near the Basilica turn down food when his sign said "Hungry. Please Help If Can. God Bless.". I just ignore all of them now.
I was downtown near the Target Center and I was looking for something vehicle. While I was standing in the rear of the van, a guy walked up to beg for money. His story was he just got into MPLS from Chicago off of the bus and he was new to MN and didn't have any money. When I told him I didn't have any money, he asked if I had an ATM card in my wallet. I said I was in a hurry and he went on to say that an ATM was just a couple blocks away. I thought he just arrived??

I suspect he waited to get close to me before he talked so that I was startled (and I was). I bet that intimidation is part of the "sales process". He kept on talking to me and followed me all the way into my front seat. I don't give anybody money who begs. Including my Kid's.

In another instance I was in Chicago walking to the Palmer House from Uno (or some other AWESOME pizza joint) with leftover pizza. A "registered" homeless person (who had a badge issued by the city showing he was documented) said he was hungry. I offered my leftovers and he reluctantly took them. A hungry person would have shown appreciation. He was well polished and was scamming people.

It's not smart to feed the pigeons, beggars, dogs at table with scraps, or Internet trolls. If everyone would say no, then they would figure that begging is not lucrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul