Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:30 PM

465 posts, read 508,532 times

Advertisements

I would first like to say I'm analyzing several different areas to move to. It will be at least 2 or 3 years away. I have a few questions in no particular order and may add more later.

1) I have brain damage and can't drive because of seizures and other issues...I also get lost easy...how is public transportation?

2) I live on SSI a lot of times I can't even work part-time will I be able to afford the area?

3) I'm an FtM transgender meaning I'm in a female body but identify as male will this be an issue?

4) Will I have to worry about being bullied for being disabled and/or trans or will people be nice to me?

5)Also are their cheap(er) areas to live that aren't dangerous if you mind your own business?

I will probably settle down to a couple of places and will check them out further and then visit one before I make up my mind. TY everyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,814 times
1) I have brain damage and can't drive because of seizures and other issues...I also get lost easy...how is public transportation?

It will be possible for you to live in Minneapolis or St. Paul without a car although the majority of people drive everywhere here. There are many active bus lines and currently one train line. The system is relatively easy to learn and inexpensive to use. The cold winters make using public transportation more of a nuisance here than in some other cities.

2) I live on SSI a lot of times I can't even work part-time will I be able to afford the area?

Minneapolis and St. Paul have much lower cost of living than big cities on the east or west coast. However living on SSI will limit the areas you will likely be able to afford to live.

3) I'm an FtM transgender meaning I'm in a female body but identify as male will this be an issue?

The Twin Cities is generally known as being very progressive on GLBT issues. Most people are friendly and open minded. There are always a few jerks and/or ignorant people in any city.

4) Will I have to worry about being bullied for being disabled and/or trans or will people be nice to me?

I think most people will be respectful.

5)Also are their cheap(er) areas to live that aren't dangerous if you mind your own business?

Most of Minneapolis and St. Paul are safe if you mind your own business.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
I live without a car, and while it's not the norm, there are still a lot of us out there getting by without a car. Pick your neighborhood with care, but if you live in a good location then you shouldn't have too many problems. I agree that it's more of a hassle in the winter, but it's still doable. It's not the best transit system, but it's decent for what it is.

I don't think being transgendered will be an issue.

As far as location, I'd figure out your budget and work from there. I think of the TC as relatively affordable, but as Longfellow10 notes, you'll have some limitations based on budget. Even a small budget won't mean you'll be stuck in a dangerous neighborhood, though. I think you will be able to find a safe, walkable neighborhood with good public transportation access.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 PM

I make $694/mo. but I don't know how Medicaid would work there some states are better than others on what they cover/how much copays are etc. I can live very frugally. I can survive on oatmeal, beans, rice, ramen noodles, hot dogs, etc. I can also make my lights, etc. really cheap by layering clothes even in the house, winterizing the apt. if I can get someone to help me, etc. The main worry I have about a roommate is I may not be able to do certain things chores wise and that could lead to resentment. I just like to think ahead.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Unless you can get accepted and find appropriate Section 8 housing there is no way you will be able to live in an area of Minneapolis or St. Paul that has good bus transportation on under $700/month. The Twin Cities are "affordable" for a big city but not so much for low income living. Finding several roommates might be an option but even then you are looking at half or more of your income just for rent.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 AM

If I'm understanding it right Section 8 is usually fairly easy to transfer it can take up to 2 months but ti can be done with some paperwork and traveling. I can't look into it yet because mom is HoH and won't move and also it would worry her to death knowing I'm moving to a big city she's scared to death of major cities. Anyway I think that would help a lot if I got to keep my Section 8.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
I don't know the details on Section 8, and I could be totally wrong, but I'd confirm first that Section 8 is available here; most cities have long waiting lists, and while I think there has been some attempt to provide some relief during the housing crisis the waiting list could still be very, very long (if they're still accepting applications, that is; not sure how that works for transfers). Is there any reason you're focusing on the Twin Cities? If you don't have family here, don't have a job here, and are dependent on aid you might be better off somewhere where you can either live on such a limited income or where Section 8 is more readily available.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Well it's different with transfers the place where you live now pays until they can fit you into their budget. But yes you do have to contact both your office and where you're moving to. There is a little red tape so to speak but it usually isn't too horrible. You also can't get more than the amount where you used to live so if the cost of living is higher there it can be a rough time for a few months to a year.

Here's the link with the details: http://www.housingdatasystems.com/portability.pdf

Last edited by liamscott; 12-19-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 PM

I have a quick question about the "worst" areas in Minn.-St. Paul area I heard like stay away from certain Northern parts but then they said don't go walking at like 4 a.m. alone. Isn't that just common sense anywhere? How bad is Northern Minneapolis/Eastern St. Paul.? I gotta say if it's just don't leave your door unlocked, don't leave your car with the keys in it and the doors unlocked then I'm not too worried. Are there any neighborhoods at all to just out and out avoid? For example, Arcade, Chicago, Lake Street a few others. The thing is some talk about how awful they are but then there's people saying it's just common sense stuff like don't leave your walled unattended or something like that. What are most peoples opinion on this?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,662,264 times
I live in the Jordan area of North Minneapolis, and don't have a problem with it. I'm told that a few years ago this neighborhood was on the brink of ruin, but it doesn't seem at all bad to me. Of course I put a 6' fence around the back yard, and I unbolt 3 locks to get in either the front or the back doors. Be prepared, and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul