Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 33,889 times

Advertisements

A lot of people who haven't taken it there say I do, but the one person I know who did, says I don't parallel park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM

143 posts, read 477,806 times
Parallel parking is only worth a few points on ANY Minnesota road test. You could completely fail at parallel parking and pass the rest of the driver's test with flying colors.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Yes. Parallel parking is part of the Minnesota drivers test (or at least it was not too long ago). I'd recommend you learn how to do it. It's a useful life skill, like learning how to use a spoon or open a jar.

I taught my (50 year old) partner how to parallel park a couple years ago; she was from the suburbs and dreadfully afraid of parallel parking, but now she does it in town without even thinking about it.

Here's an easy way to parallel park:
- drive alongside the car in front of the space you wish to park in, until you are right across from the parked vehicle's drivers seat,
- Put your car into reverse, slowly back up straight until your rear wheel is across from the next car's back bumper,
- turn hard with your steering wheel (swinging the front wheels out into traffic) while looking into your rear view mirror at the the vehicle behind your parking spot,
- When you see the curb side headlight of that vehicle in your (inside rear view) mirror, straighten your steering wheel, continuing to back up,
- when your front fender passes by the bumper of the car in front of you, turn your wheel hard to swing the front of your car into the parking spot.

You'll want to practice this move a few times on a low traffic street so as not to get distracted by other moving cars. After a few times over, making adjustments for your car and driving style, you'll have it down. Problem solved!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Parallel parking IS on the test and they will judge you more strictly if you do poorly at it.

Also, there are a handful of one-way streets/no-entrances to confuse you (at least when I took it).

Do: Complete stops, proper hand-over-hand turning, use mirrors, ect.

Honestly, a lot of the stuff the teach you how to do isn't really practical in real life...

Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Default What is on the Hastings, MN road test?

I take it this thursday.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM

@emcee squared hand-over-hand is frowned upon now, i have to shuffle steer.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSugarify View Post
@emcee squared hand-over-hand is frowned upon now, i have to shuffle steer.
Wow. Times changed, thankfully.

Think I took the test in '06 or so.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Yes. Parallel parking is part of the Minnesota drivers test (or at least it was not too long ago). I'd recommend you learn how to do it. It's a useful life skill, like learning how to use a spoon or open a jar.

I taught my (50 year old) partner how to parallel park a couple years ago; she was from the suburbs and dreadfully afraid of parallel parking, but now she does it in town without even thinking about it.

Here's an easy way to parallel park:
- drive alongside the car in front of the space you wish to park in, until you are right across from the parked vehicle's drivers seat,
- Put your car into reverse, slowly back up straight until your rear wheel is across from the next car's back bumper,
- turn hard with your steering wheel (swinging the front wheels out into traffic) while looking into your rear view mirror at the the vehicle behind your parking spot,
- When you see the curb side headlight of that vehicle in your (inside rear view) mirror, straighten your steering wheel, continuing to back up,
- when your front fender passes by the bumper of the car in front of you, turn your wheel hard to swing the front of your car into the parking spot.

You'll want to practice this move a few times on a low traffic street so as not to get distracted by other moving cars. After a few times over, making adjustments for your car and driving style, you'll have it down. Problem solved!
spot on, works first time, every time.

or, do the opposite of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-bItJf7yUE

Remember if during your test you get in a bind, turn on your wipers on high speed and crank your radio up LOUD! If you fail the test accuse the instructor of doing that when you weren't looking.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

411 posts, read 992,529 times
It's something you should know how to do anyway. Can't imagine not knowing.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
do the opposite of this...
Hahaha Ghengis FTW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul