Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,306 times

Advertisements

hi, looking for a townhome rental in the twin cities area --- with high walkscore, easy access to transit (to commute to the U), and a good school district (e.g., edina, plymouth, wayzata, etc)
I know this could be asking for too much here. basically i am looking for a dense city environment in a suburban set-up ---- but any ideas / suggestions are welcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
What do you mean by "suburban set-up"? Your description sounds like you want the city, not the suburbs. If it's just the school issue (since in many cities urban schools are not good) you might be pleasantly surprised at how good many of the urban schools are -- some of the best in the state.

The best suburban options would be parts of Edina or St. Louis Park. Minnikahda Vista in SLP (along with the part of SLP right by the Minneapolis/SLP border by Lake Calhoun), and the area near 50th and France in Edina. Maybe Edina out by Southdale could work, although that area still feels suburban and not that dense. They have some townhomes, though, as well as decent public transit and are walkable to amenities. The area around Centennial Lakes in Edina, also, is quite pleasant, and an example of denser suburban development. They have a nice man-made lake there with landscaping, benches, and paddleboat rentals in the summer, skating in the winter. I know there are apartments right there, but I believe there are townhomes, too, and I think it's fully connected via walking trails to other shopping areas nearby. I assume that there's an express bus from around there going to the U. (I know there's an express bus from that part of SLP to the U, and SLP schools are highly regarded.)

Centennial Lakes (the park) website:
http://www.ci.edina.mn.us/content/facilities/centennial_lakes/ (broken link)

It doesn't feel like dense city living, but I think it's a great example of relatively dense and very livable suburban living. The apartments (condos?) right by the lake have balconies overlooking the water. It seems like it would be a nice place to live with kids.

Check the schools for your specific address, though; I don't think all of Edina is within Edina Public Schools. I think some in that area may be in Richfield. (and, of course, in any district it's still the specific school that matters most, not the district.)

There might be some St. Paul suburbs that would also fit the bill.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-02-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
There are many townhome communities right by the transit station in Apple Valley, they are also adjacent to the major shopping areas in Apple Valley (food, clothing, movie theaters, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. all within about 6 blocks). Our town< Rosemount, doesn't get a very good walk score because for whatever reason that site doesn't recognize any stores in our town but there are several townhomes right across the street from the grocery store, coffee shops, etc. All within about 3 blocks. Apple Valley and Rosemount are both in the 196 schools are are excellent schools.

Depending on your price range, Cobblestone in Apple Valley might be an option too. Walking to a lot of things there isn't the best but it is within walking distance to SuperTarget, hair places, Starbucks, a couple banks. There is a transit station right near there too.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
I was going to mention that area of Apple Valley. Pretty dense for a suburb here.....Shakopee can be as well, but I don't know of a great transit station there or great schools either.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,306 times
thanks everyone -- this is really helpful...great suggestions to start my research..

Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
There is an area is St Louis Park - right off hwy 7 and 36th street that has adorable townhomes and is very walkable. My understanding is light rail is slated for an adjacent spot there. There is also excelsior and grand - but that's more condos - but very walkable.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM

267 posts, read 558,567 times
Actually, instead of the Cobblestone area of Apple Valley I'd think the area between 160th and 155th and Galaxie and Flagstaff would be a much better fit for walk score. It's very close to the bulk of Apple Valley shopping as well as the main transit hub which has busses to the U of MN. There are one townhouse after another in there. I actually have one for rent in there and the walk score is 38 (not actually sure if that's good or not) but it's got to be better than Cobblestone Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul