Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,770 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to do the observership in Hennepin County Medical Center for a month.

I am looking for the apartment or house near HCMC to rent. Please give me some advice.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapomkapom View Post
Hi,

I am going to do the observership in Hennepin County Medical Center for a month.

I am looking for the apartment or house near HCMC to rent. Please give me some advice.

Thank you very much.
Which HCMC building will you be at? They have a bunch of them scattered around the city.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,770 times
Here is the address of HCMC that the coordinator gave to me:
701 Park Avenue (G5) Minneapolis, MN 55415
Thank you.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Yup, I know the building, it's located in Downtown East near the Metrodome. Where you'll be looking will depend alot on your price range. There are nice apartments along the Mississippi River but they aren't cheap. There are also some apartments near the HCMC buildings that are probably going to be more affordable but they aren't probably the nicest either. If you're looking to rent a house you're going to have to look outside of downtown. Once again, your price range will be a factor in what neighborhoods you look in.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
You need for just one month, though, right? Probably craigslist is your best bet then, I would think, as you'll need to sublet, or find someone with a room to spare.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Another option to consider would be an extended stay at a hotel. There are several nearby, with a few that will be more explicitly extended stay style hotels (with small kitchen, etc). It would not be unreasonable to expect to pay about $69/night if you commit to extended stay. However, if you commit to at least a month there is no sales tax on the room (but you have to commit on a lease to a month or more under MN law to be exempt from the sales tax). Also, keep in mind the rate includes all utilities (electricity, cable, phone in the room, usually internet, trash, water, etc.)

Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Another option to consider would be an extended stay at a hotel. There are several nearby, with a few that will be more explicitly extended stay style hotels (with small kitchen, etc). It would not be unreasonable to expect to pay about $69/night if you commit to extended stay. However, if you commit to at least a month there is no sales tax on the room (but you have to commit on a lease to a month or more under MN law to be exempt from the sales tax). Also, keep in mind the rate includes all utilities (electricity, cable, phone in the room, usually internet, trash, water, etc.)
Actually, you can get an extended stay for about half that bidding through Priceline/Hotwire. The OP would have to have some flexibility as to where to stay.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, you can get an extended stay for about half that bidding through Priceline/Hotwire. The OP would have to have some flexibility as to where to stay.
There is some validity to your point; you may well find less expensive options through Priceline/Hotwire. I based my price on normal, direct booking where you have the advantage of knowing what you're buying before you commit and what I have seen in the market at properties close to HCMC, also assuming OP is willing to haggle with a property.

If the OP is flexible to where they'll stay and absolutely certain about the dates and about making the purchase, it may be worth the trade-off. That said, I urge all to be mindful the two main tradeoffs: 1) you don't know which property you'll get and may not be convenient or what you're looking for (especially in a month long stay), and 2) Priceline/Hotwire are full prepay and "all sales final". There's no refund if you don't like the location, don't like the hotel, etc. or check out early. Again, that's the tradeoff and the one the OP would have to decide what is desired for a month+ stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul