Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM

22 posts, read 41,319 times

Advertisements

I was at TIES in Falcon Heights yesterday, and I saw a snow pile in a corner of the parking lot. I'm amazed that there can still be snow piles left this late in the spring. I was also amazed to read that April 1984 ENDED with a major snowstorm. Then again, I grew up down south - the Chicago area.

What's the latest date at which you've seen a snow pile here in Minnesota? Have there ever been snow piles in the middle of May? Memorial Day? In June?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,347 times
I think I have seen one in the Ridgedale Mall parking lot last until early June at least once before.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 PM

22 posts, read 41,319 times
Wow, in June? That's a summer month. I can't believe that a snow pile can survive 80-degree days.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM

There might not have been any 80 degree days before June that year. I think the layer of dirt and other stuff that forms on top as it melts helps insulate the snow underneath from the heat.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
I would have to say mid-May only because I know we have had snowstorms in May. When I was in high school we had 8" or so during the first week in May, but by the weekend it was all melted. That year though, leaves were on the trees by now-looking back at prom pictures from then. I don't remember it being THIS COLD all the time though. Usually we would have seasonably warm temps and then a day or two of cold weather, then back to the warmer temps. This year it is the complete opposite of that.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would have to say mid-May only because I know we have had snowstorms in May. When I was in high school we had 8" or so during the first week in May, but by the weekend it was all melted. That year though, leaves were on the trees by now-looking back at prom pictures from then. I don't remember it being THIS COLD all the time though. Usually we would have seasonably warm temps and then a day or two of cold weather, then back to the warmer temps. This year it is the complete opposite of that.
I took this picture on April 30th last year. The same trees are completely bare still this year.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I took this picture on April 30th last year. The same trees are completely bare still this year.
I have looked back at photos from golf last year and it is amazing how different things were last year. Now, last year was unusual to the OPPOSITE extreme too. Our trees have green on the ends of the branches now, barely.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,192 times
In Minneapolis, the Mayday parade and festival is always held on the first Sunday of May. About half the parades I've seen have been in seasons where the trees were fully leafed out and the weather was warm to hot. Last year I believe we had blooming lilacs by then. This spring is slow and cold, but I've seen several others run this late.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have looked back at photos from golf last year and it is amazing how different things were last year. Now, last year was unusual to the OPPOSITE extreme too. Our trees have green on the ends of the branches now, barely.
I was just thinking about that! I'm glad you posted this!

I have photos from end of April last year too and the trees had leaves! I was thinking I was crazy!

CAN SOMEBODY GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT AS TO WHY THIS SPRING IS SUCH DEATH?

to the OP: There is a grocery store in town that still has about a 10 foot tall pile.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
There's still a good 4 foot pile of snow next to the Oak St parking ramp at the University of Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul