Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times

Advertisements

I had no idea who/what Lake Calhoun was named after- the first thing that has always come to mind when hearing "Calhoun" is a lake and area surrounding it. I'd assume the general populace is as uninformed as myself on this matter, so this campaign is really just counter-productively giving more historic fame to an undeserving a-hole from the past. Somewhat similar to Ghengis' suggestion, why not just make a declaration that the lake is being renamed Lake Calhoun in honor/celebration of The Lake Formerly Known as Lake Calhoun, thus naming it after the much more well-known lake that was previously named for a relatively unknown historical figure. Or find another figure or family from history with the last name Calhoun that everyone can approve of and declare it's being renamed for that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:54 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Or just "The Lake Formerly Known as Lake Calhoun" as a tongue-in-cheek celebration of our political correctness and eccentric famous local artist.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Can I point out that to those of you calling John C. Calhoun an 'insignificant historical figure'....you're wrong. That's coming from a guy with a BA in History.

Calhoun was part of the Great Triumvirate of political thinkers (along with Webster and Clay) who by-and-large shaped national policy from the 1830's-1850's. The different ideologies of these three men precipitated the Civil War.

That said, I want Penn Avenue renamed. It's offensive to Catholics.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
This was debated LONG ago. I figure if the Union vets didn't care enough to change it -- and all of them would have been well aware of Calhoun's role in the War (and I do agree that he was a major historical figure, although he was not nearly as important at the time when the lake was named) -- then why would we change it now? I wouldn't name a Minnesotan lake after him today, but changing it now makes no sense. It's a waste of time and money.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:14 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Can I point out that to those of you calling John C. Calhoun an 'insignificant historical figure'....you're wrong. That's coming from a guy with a BA in History.
In the land of a capitol and a state and numerous counties named Washington, of cities named Jefferson, of countless Roosevelt and Franklin and Lincoln locales and geographic entities, yeah, the third-tier historical figure of John C. Calhoun is relatively insignificant.

But, hey, what do I know, I don't have an "I'm an expert!" degree in the purely objective, everyone-agrees exact science of history...

Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM

I don't think Calhoun is insignificant or obscure in the least, but I do agree that he's not a local figure and as such he probably gets insufficient attention. Then again, I think Minnesota in general is pretty lacking when it comes to paying attention to Civil War (and earlier) history. It's simply not on our radar in the way that it is in areas of the country where memories of "the War" (no need to ask which one) linger on. As a historian I find that unfortunate, but also understandable. If the guy pushing for the Calhoun name change really wants to do something useful he could advocate for more local historical education and outreach, as I think many local residents don't know much about the history of our area.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Can we just come to a compromise and name the new man-made lake in North Minneapolis Humphrey Lake? Or just to get the old Civil War buff to shut up maybe they can change Mall of America field back to the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome? The history behind Lake Calhoun actually kind of makes me want the name to stay even more. I think it's interesting that the most popular lake in the state was named after such a jerk! By that token maybe Tom Petters and Denny Hecker deserve lakes too!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:32 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Sibley was a right bastard, too, from contemporary accounts.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Can we just come to a compromise and name the new man-made lake in North Minneapolis Humphrey Lake? Or just to get the old Civil War buff to shut up maybe they can change Mall of America field back to the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome? The history behind Lake Calhoun actually kind of makes me want the name to stay even more. I think it's interesting that the most popular lake in the state was named after such a jerk! By that token maybe Tom Petters and Denny Hecker deserve lakes too!
Thing is, the man pushing for this isn't an old Civil War buff -- from the report, it sounded like he only just now figured out who Calhoun was and what he believed. I was rather surprised at the way kare11 handled it, as they made it sound like this was new and shocking revelations about the lake's namesake.

And they didn't name the lake after Calhoun for his slavery viewpoints, or for his role in the Civil War -- this was Union country, after all. The name came before all of that. Calhoun later did become a far more despicable character (as far as his stance on slavery goes) than most of his contemporaries, but the fact of the matter was that many of our national figures owned slaves or otherwise benefited from slave labor.

I like the point about the history of the name making it more interesting. It's certainly an opportunity for helping make early to mid-19th century American history relevant to modern Minneapolis. I think part of the reason so many locals don't know much about the earlier years is because it seems so remote; looking at place names helps bring it "home" to us in a way that seems more real than simply reading about things in a book.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
In the land of a capitol and a state and numerous counties named Washington, of cities named Jefferson, of countless Roosevelt and Franklin and Lincoln locales and geographic entities, yeah, the third-tier historical figure of John C. Calhoun is relatively insignificant.

But, hey, what do I know, I don't have an "I'm an expert!" degree in the purely objective, everyone-agrees exact science of history...
Why the hostility?

No, actually, if most people knew half as much about American history as they should, none of them would call Calhoun "insignificant." He's as important-- if not more-- than some of the names you just dropped.

Oh, and thanks for going out of your way to insult my totally subjective, willy-nilly, any idiot can do it! degree. Unfortunately, there is a pursuit we call historeography-- that is, how we physically do history, how we study it, how we gather the evidence and compile the corpus delicti that leads us to our conclusions. And nobody that is familiar with that process will call Calhoun an "insignificant figure." Sorry, I know you think history is all subjective so that rubes can just make it up as they go along and write it down in books for younger rubes to read....but it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul