Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
People with kids care--we will revisit this when you actually have kids in school...
I highly doubt my opinion will change much when that time comes. Also, I prefer my future kids are not going to school with kids who have parents with such elitist attitudes as there is the possibility that it could rub off on them.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-08-2011 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The biggest advantage Sibley has going for it is that it is a pretty upper middle class/upper class high school with a VERY small lower income population...
In other words, the biggest disadvantage Sibley has going against it is a VERY limited worldview.

On the other hand ... my daughter attended kindergarten and grades 1-3 in one of the poorest Minneapolis public elementary schools (Sheridan), where 75% of the student body comes from families below the poverty line.

She is now an honors student at one of the best of the metro area private prep schools. But unlike many of her current classmates, she has first-hand knowledge of life outside that privileged social set.

Don't count out people just because they were born on the wrong side of the tracks. You want your child to do well in school - any school? Give them the attention and support they deserve at home. Encourage them to excel at whatever they do - and they will give it their best shot.

Last edited by audadvnc; 06-09-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
In other words, the biggest disadvantage Sibley has going against it is a VERY limited worldview.

On the other hand ... my daughter attended kindergarten and grades 1-3 in one of the poorest Minneapolis public elementary schools (Sheridan), where 75% of the student body comes from families below the poverty line.

She is now an honors student at one of the best of the metro area private prep schools. But unlike many of her current classmates, she has first-hand knowledge of life outside that privileged social set.

Don't count out people just because they were born on the wrong side of the tracks. You want your child to do well in school - any school? Give them the attention and support they deserve at home. Encourage them to excel at whatever they do - and they will give it their best shot.
Whatever---going to school in a predominately white school does not lessen your world understanding. So what if your DD went through 3rd grade in a low income school, her attendance at a private prep school insulates her more then you will find at ANY suburban school. One does not have to lead the life of an improvised person to understand the trials and tribulations faced. That is really the point of education afterall, to teach us about the world at large. If it is so important to you that she "understand" life outside of the privileged social sect, what isn't she attending North High School??

Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Maybe she will be next year.

BTW, does DD mean darling daughter? Or deceitful dirtbag? Are you a moderator? How do we "un-moderate" you?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 AM

Let me roll that last comment back. It was meant partially in jest. I do not advocate dumping Golfgal or anybody else from their moderator positions.

One of the difficulties in running a forum is separating one's personal opinions from the task of keeping a board managable. I'm not a moderator, and wouldn't be a very effective one anyway because I am too opinionated, and like to spout those opinions in everybody's face.

Golfgal & I come from different backgrounds and we each hold our values strongly. I clearly irritate her and others on occasion, so I'll do my part to try to tone down my more abrasive posts on this board. But she's a moderator, so she has certain responsibilities to keep the conversation from spinning out of control. Perhaps people that run forum boards should have 2 accounts, one for the moderator hat and another for spouting and ranting, so they can keep order and still play rock-em, sock-em with the rest of us.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,167,319 times
I'm an Eagan HS alum.

Great school, excellent teachers, and they were recognized for national excellence while I attended. Their programs are very good for sports and extra curricular.

Sports will be just as competitive as Eastview to get on a varsity basketball squad, as with any sport, but I remember the debate team winning the National Title during my time there.

Eccletic is a great word to describe Eagan HS.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,713,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I'm an Eagan HS alum.

Great school, excellent teachers, and they were recognized for national excellence while I attended. Their programs are very good for sports and extra curricular.

Sports will be just as competitive as Eastview to get on a varsity basketball squad, as with any sport, but I remember the debate team winning the National Title during my time there.

Eccletic is a great word to describe Eagan HS.

Me TOO!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,355 times
Thanks to everyone! I visited all four schools and was impressed by both principals and guidance counselors. I am from California where my only choices were private or public school...so I felt as a parent, I wanted to see what our options looked like! The funniest part:every family on our block sends their kids to different schools! Many of them private and religous! So, it doesn't seem to matter for my children on the social front. Our neighbors have been very welcoming and both my kids are already making new friends. So far as I can tell, I think the academics here in Eagan are going to be much more rigorous than Groveland Elementary. I only hope my son will understand the importance of his studies. He most certainly had a rich and diverse experience in St. Pup. So...I am going with 196 mostly because I feel like geographically the schools are near our home.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,755,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Me TOO!!!
Citykid is from Eagan? How ironic.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,839,036 times
+1 to Slig's comments. I went to a "low-income" high school and my parents taught in many low-income schools. Besides being more prepared for the real world and desired by colleges looking for students that don't fit the typical upper-middle class suburban mold, I have many classmates (and my parents have many former students) who have been very successful in their collegiate (including many Ivies and prestigious fellowships) and professional lives who came from all socioeconomic backgrounds. I also know more teachers than persons in any other profession, and the people I know working in more socioeconomically diverse environments almost always care more about their students/jobs than those working in upper middle class suburbs. I would NEVER send my kids to a snotty suburban school no matter what the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul