Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,431,828 times

Advertisements

We were walking around downtown Minneapolis last night and felt completely safe. Unless you're trying really hard to get get into brawls outside of nightclubs with drunks at around 2AM, you have basically nothing to be concerned about. I'd be inclined to mock and ridicule anyone who is genuinely worried about safety downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,040,178 times
One of the nice things about downtown is that you are almost always around other people. It's not like other neighborhoods that quiet down at night (well, downtown really DOES empty at night, but it's always alive to a certain extent) where you might be the only person on a poorly lit street. I've been down 1st, Hennepin, and Nicollet many times at night (last school year I worked at the downtown Target and many times left at closing) and there are always normal people. Your chances of getting into a brawl are slim.

If you're looking for trouble, you'll get it. Sometimes an innocent person gets hurt and that really is unfortunate. While some people are more sensitive to feeling vulnerable in urban areas like downtown and should be warned, I think we really need to encourage more people to take advantage of what is available downtown. With luck, that would bring more businesses that stay open later and bring more people downtown, giving it more life. More normal people downtown could lead to a serious reduction is the criminal elements.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
More normal people downtown could lead to a serious reduction is the criminal elements.
Yep, there are some weirdos downtown along with a far greater number of people like you and me. The strange people who I've come in contact with are completely harmless. You don't really ever hear about a homeless or mentally ill person randomly assaulting a passerby. The vast majority of the violence downtown is when two drunk guys fight over a girl at a night club on a Friday/Saturday night in the 1-2am range and they take it outside and the situation elevates. Like I said, if you aren't prone to getting into those kinds of situations you really have nothing to worry about.

For people visiting this wonderful city you really are missing out if you aren't walking or taking a bike taxi through the Nicollet Ave stretch and checking out places downtown like the Foshay, the Guthrie, The Stone Arch Bridge, Loring Park, the Sculpture Gardens, the Basilica, Target Field, etc. etc. If you are skipping out on these locations because of fears of safety it really is a damn shame if you ask me.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,669,665 times
Of course, if the good citizens of our state were willing to foot the bill for mental health facilities, these weirdos wouldn't be stuck on the street trying to make ends meet while their inner voices are speaking in tongues to them.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Of course, if the good citizens of our state were willing to foot the bill for mental health facilities, these weirdos wouldn't be stuck on the street trying to make ends meet while their inner voices are speaking in tongues to them.
Sorry, but the good citizens don't need another bill. We're already paying for everything from refugees and illegal immigrants (who receive monthly taxpayer dollars for food, rent, daycare, insurance and a healthy sum of spending money each month) to health care for the uninsured, Planned Parenthood, a plethora of government salaries and pet projects, stadiums, scholastic sports, etc., This only begins a long list.

I'm not against helping the homeless. I have plenty of experience with the homeless. What most people don't realize is that the majority of them chose homelessness and don't want help. (Handouts, yes, help, no.)

I'm just against forcing taxpayers to pay for everything. Those kind souls, like yourself, who want to help pay for their mental health stays can call in and make donations to them at any time.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM

988 posts, read 1,834,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Sorry, but the good citizens don't need another bill. We're already paying for everything from refugees and illegal immigrants (who receive monthly taxpayer dollars for food, rent, daycare, insurance and a healthy sum of spending money each month) to health care for the uninsured, Planned Parenthood, a plethora of government salaries and pet projects, stadiums, scholastic sports, etc., This only begins a long list.

I'm not against helping the homeless. I have plenty of experience with the homeless. What most people don't realize is that the majority of them chose homelessness and don't want help. (Handouts, yes, help, no.)

I'm just against forcing taxpayers to pay for everything. Those kind souls, like yourself, who want to help pay for their mental health stays can call in and make donations to them at any time.
Agreed...there's a reason we are currently looking at a $5 billion deficit (and that's just the state level). Far too many political favors and pet projects - and in a high tax state where the problem isn't lack of revenue, it's because of too much spending in areas that shouldn't be government responsbility in the first place. I also encourage the kind souls believing there is an obligation to help mental health institutions to contribute of their own volition (along the lines of my contributions to Salvation Army).

Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Uhhh, how about mental health assistance for some, and miniature American flags for everybody!!!

Wow, this got off topic quickly.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Sorry, but the good citizens don't need another bill.
Quote:
too much spending in areas that shouldn't be government responsbility in the first place
Well, great. That means the weirdos are out on the street with you and the little lady, late at night on your way back from that fun dinner date.

Quote:
What most people don't realize is that the majority of them chose homelessness...
We're talking about the mentally ill, you realize. How many of them choose insanity?

Perhaps one of those voluntary paranoid schizophrenic crazies you meet turns out to be your son, or ex-wife... after all, it happens to about 1 out of every 100 people. What will you do if "NIMBY" comes right back to your roost?

If that day come, I appreciate that you won't be requesting any gov't assistance from me. After all, you'll have your flag decal flying high, and that will protect you.

Last edited by audadvnc; 06-06-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Well, great. That means the weirdos are out on the street with you and the little lady, late at night on your way back from that fun dinner date.

We're talking about the mentally ill, you realize. How many of them choose insanity?

Perhaps one of those voluntary paranoid schizophrenic crazies you meet turns out to be your son, or ex-wife... after all, it happens to about 1 out of every 100 people. What will you do if "NIMBY" comes right back to your roost?

If that day come, I appreciate that you won't be requesting any gov't assistance from me. After all, you'll have your flag decal flying high, and that will protect you.
My last response to this bunny trail.

1) You obviously have no experience with the mentally ill or homeless. I do. Plenty. I know what I'm talking about. And I know enough not to call them "weirdos" like you did. (That's your compassion?)

2) You put words in my mouth. Where did I say they were voluntarily mentally ill? I didn't. I said they were voluntarily homeless. Most mentally ill people aren't completely unable to reason or make decisions, you know. (That's only on TV.) Mentally ill or not, the majority of homeless people have decided to be homeless. Don't believe me? Go down and try to help them yourself. I have. Have you?

2) My point still stands. If you want to support their stay at a mental health facility, then you're free to call and make a donation at any time. It will gladly be accepted. It's very easy to dump the problem on the rest of society when you aren't doing what you yourself recommend. I noticed that you don't think their families have any responsibility to help them. Interesting. Just everyone else.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Of course there are lazy beggars and slacker panhandlers out there, and always have been. My concern is not so much about them - they take care of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul