Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM

110 posts, read 440,174 times

Advertisements

My family is contemplating a move to Minneapolis from California. We have 3 kids (6, 4 and 3) so schools and safety are the most important things for us. I have visited 2 times in the past few years to get a feel for the cities and neighborhoods. For the first year we will be living with a family member in the Lynnhurst neighborhood. During the first year we would start our search to buy a home in the right neighborhood. I really like the Nokomis area, but the schools beyond elementary seem to be lacking. We are also open to neighborhood suggestions. Looking for a nice walkable family friendly neighborhood.

Does anyone have hands-on information about the schools in the Nokomis neighborhood? How difficult is it to get a child into a school that is not in your neighborhood? Are their wait lists for schools like Southwest High? Also, if we start our oldest son in a school in Lynnhurst, can we keep him there and enroll his younger brothers as they reach school age?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Yes, it can be tough (or so I've heard) to get your child into Southwest if they don't live in the district. And that may (not sure of all the logistics of this) be even harder now that they're working on getting IB into other schools, too. South High School is very highly-regarded, so if looking more south keep an eye on that option. The good news is that your kids are so young that a lot can change by the time they get to high school, and the Nokomis area these days seems to be filled with families with young kids. A LOT of my former Southwest friends have purchased homes over there, and they are the kind of parents who are going to be dedicated to ensuring that their children have access to a good education. Time is on your side, so it's possible that by the time your children reach high school that the local option (assuming that is Roosevelt) will be excellent. And, if not, there's always magnet programs or open enrollment.

I agree that Nokomis area is very nice, but a potential option right by where you'll be initially living is somewhere like Armatage, Kenny, or Windom; Armatage and Kenny are still VERY close to Lynnhurst (and walkable to Burroughs, if that's where you'll be) and Windom isn't that far away. Those areas are all family-friendly and significantly cheaper than Lynnhurst.

I'm not sure about the school issue. I'm fairly certain that you would not have to move your son from his school after starting (although would probably have to provide your own transportation), but am not sure how that works for siblings. You may want to take a closer look at various magnet options, which draw from a larger part of the city, so it would matter less where you live. Armatage (Montessori) is a very popular magnet in SW Minneapolis, although I'm not sure if the Nokomis families send their kids there (their Montessori option may be Seward, also an excellent program).

Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM

110 posts, read 440,174 times
Thank you for the reply. I will defiantly put the neighborhoods you mentioned on our list. It's good to hear that the high schools are improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul