Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,922,132 times

Advertisements

BIG difference between a vacation and where you make a living for your family and raise your family (or yourself).

Why does everyone find Texas weather so appealing? It's 100 degrees or more almost EVERYWHERE in Texas right now and that's almost the average for this time of year! That's so dangerously hot that I feel it's more of a turnoff than sub-zero or sub-10 degree temps. Even still, the average high/low in the winter is NOT sub-zero for 3 months, unlike the highs in Texas! I just don't get this "better weather in Texas" phenomenon.....I personally think people have no idea how damn hot it gets there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 PM

9,883 posts, read 11,290,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
BIG difference between a vacation and where you make a living for your family and raise your family (or yourself)..

You dittoed that you were amazed on how people pay attention to weather. I explained that weather isn't the end-all-be-all reason to live in a place but it's (very) important. For me, Denver would be a better place to live. But that's because it has low crime, quality education, it's beautiful, lots of out door activities etc. If Denver's education was at the same level of Arkansas, I'd never raise my family there. I don't want to live in Bismark ND either even though it is a GREAT place to raise a family.

I've lived in MN for 47 years. But there is a very KEY reason why I live here: I was born here. Nothing more... I will say there is a reason why towns in MN finish on the top of the heap in "places to live" rankings. But I'm soon to be a empty nester and I am self employed. So I'm going to go South during the winters and stay and enjoy our incredible summers here in MN.

In fact, it sounds like you would not be interested in the hot humid TX weather. So it seems we agree that weather is important.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You dittoed that you were amazed on how people pay attention to weather. I explained that weather isn't the end-all-be-all reason to live in a place but it's (very) important. For me, Denver would be a better place to live. But that's because it has low crime, quality education, it's beautiful, lots of out door activities etc. If Denver's education was at the same level of Arkansas, I'd never raise my family there. I don't want to live in Bismark ND either even though it is a GREAT place to raise a family.

I've lived in MN for 47 years. But there is a very KEY reason why I live here: I was born here. Nothing more... I will say there is a reason why towns in MN finish on the top of the heap in "places to live" rankings. But I'm soon to be a empty nester and I am self employed. So I'm going to go South during the winters and stay and enjoy our incredible summers here in MN.

In fact, it sounds like you would not be interested in the hot humid TX weather. So it seems we agree that weather is important.
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying (or accusing me of), but I personally think weather falls WAY back on the list of priorities in deciding where to relocate. That being said, for those people who choose weather as a primary driver of where to relocate, why on EARTH do they choose TEXAS!?!? THAT's my point.....not that I would never live in Texas because of the weather. Here's the deal: if Texas had quality schools (doesn't), solid government (nope), interesting culture (I guess...not my cup of tea though), family (not a chance), and a bunch of other amenities I prefer (it doesn't)....I'd consider moving to Texas DESPITE the bad weather. Now, if all things were equal and I had to choose between Texas and Minnesota and it came down to weather, THEN I'd choose MN because I prefer to be cool than overheated, where I have no control over my body temp.

Does that help put it into perspective?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 AM

9,883 posts, read 11,290,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
That being said, for those people who choose weather as a primary driver of where to relocate, why on EARTH do they choose TEXAS!?!? THAT's my point.....

Does that help put it into perspective?

It does put it in perspective.

All my point was that weather IS important to a lot of people and personally I find it rational. Some people hate the cold. Like you I will take the cold winters over hot and humid weather.

Weather is subjective and there are obvious trade-offs. Some people like dry heat, while others like the humidity. And yes, some people actually like the winters. But just like weather on a vacation, the weather sets the tone as to how people feel. When it is warm and sunny, I feel better than I do today knowing that the forecast calls for clouds and rain till this weekend. Now at least to me, 4 months cloudy / snowy months per year is a pretty important consideration. If weather alters the way I feel (and it does for everybody), why wouldn't I place weather as one of several high priority as to where I live? Why wouldn't it be rational for at least some people to place it above culture or cost of living? So it seems to reason that people talk about a topic that changes how they feel and they may even bypass a state that takes real effort to get around such as a MN winter.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
And yes, some people actually like the winters.
Hear, hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul