Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,972 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 40's swf in the administrative field. I am planning to move to the Twin Cities area early Spring 2012 (after the thaw! LOL) I currently live south of Milwaukee, WI. Can anyone suggest a good area for a single female that would be safe, clean, affordable?? I don't need to be in the "thick of things", I prefer an area where I get more for my money apartment wise. I need a 2BD/1.5BA that allows cats (2). Looking for something in an area where I can find a clerical type position. Also, would like to be someplace where I can meet other singles my age. Because I will be relying on myself for this move, I need to start gathering as much info as possible. Can anyone help?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 PM

302 posts, read 727,861 times
I moved to Minneapolis as a single in my late 30s from Los Angeles 6 years. I LOVE IT HERE! I bought a place in the north metro area (mostly because I had family that lived north of the cities)...NOT the best place for a single person! There tends to be more families in the north metro (in my opinion) than the south/southwest metro or downtown areas. I am now relocating to Bloomington...most of the single friends I've made live in that general area.

I am definitely more of a suburban girl...I think all my years in LA made me crave a little more quiet, so Bloomington is great for me. You say you don't need to be "in the thick of things" (I'm assuming you mean downtown or uptown?). I think St Louis Park is nice and has a lot of apartments. It's also close to downtown where there would be a lot of administrative jobs. Bloomington is another option (I would probably avoid the area right around Mall of America...but overall I really like Bloomington) ...lots of job possibilities and apartments. I also really like Richfield. The area farthest west (vs near the airport!) is very nice and there are lots of businesses there (especially around Southdale near Edina border).

I think you'll be fine IF you are willing to make an effort. Making friends here took some time...people tend to be a little more reserved and they've had the same friends for years (and sadly, many aren't interested in making new friends!). Most of my friends I've made through work and also by joining a running club, taking classes and through Meetup.com activities. If you are a church goer, that's another good option. If you put yourself out there, it really won't matter where you end up living...you WILL make friends.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2minne View Post
40's swf... planning to move Spring 2012
would like to be someplace where I can meet other singles
Can anyone suggest a good area... safe, clean, affordable??
that allows cats (2).
Can anyone help??
until you mentioned the cats...
all sorts of suggestions were coming to mind.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM

302 posts, read 727,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
until you mentioned the cats...
all sorts of suggestions were coming to mind.
What does this mean?? There are lots of places that takes cats.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks so much for your input! I'm not so worried about meeting people as I am very outgoing and have worked in HR and directly with people for years! I'm more worried about finding an affordable yet nice area, that is not too close to the colleges. I am really open to what type of work I do, since I have back ground in several areas. I'm very drawn to what I have found out about the "cultural" aspects of the city. From what I see, it's the best of both worlds! I love being out in nature and do alot of camping, but I'm still a woman who loves to shop and live theater! LOL I have been told about meetup, and I will be checking that out! Thanks again for giving me a direction to start!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
Don't worry about the cat issue. You should have no problems finding something. Richfield, SLP, etc., are all good suggestions; another option would be south Minneapolis, perhaps near Lake Nokomis; it's a nice area over there, safe, quiet but still very convenient, nice sense of neighborhood, and you get the benefits of proximity to lakes and creek or river without the higher price you'd pay in Uptown or Southwest Minneapolis. Airplane noise can be bad in spots, so don't rent without checking it out in person first. My FIL lived over there, and had a lot of friendly single 40-something neighbors. It would put you in a nice central location convenient to downtown Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington, etc.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 PM

@ Urban - Thanks for your suggestions! I am currently the administrator at our municipal airport, and I live pretty close to the river and a set of train tracks!! LOL The planes don't bother me. I really like the idea of being closer to rivers & creeks but still convenient to down town. I'm looking forward to checking the area out!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,654,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2minne View Post
@ Urban - Thanks for your suggestions! I am currently the administrator at our municipal airport, and I live pretty close to the river and a set of train tracks!! LOL The planes don't bother me. I really like the idea of being closer to rivers & creeks but still convenient to down town. I'm looking forward to checking the area out!
I'm not familiar with St. Paul at all but, from what you've said, Uptown Urbanist has mentioned the best locations to start with - Richfield, St. Louis Park, the Nokomis Park area and South Minneapolis.

And yes, don't worry about the cats. I have one and it wasn't difficult to find places that accept them. Dogs are another story! Be advised that you will be required to pay a pet deposit, though. The average is $300 - $400 (sometimes per cat) with all but $100 of it being refundable after you move out. SOME places require you to pay a monthly fee for the cat, from $25 - $50 per month! I laughed in their faces! I told them that when my cat gets a job and can afford his part of the rent, we'll move right in. Out of principle alone, I refuse to rent from places that charge monthly cat rent (plus a deposit)! I don't care how perfect the apartment is!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,821 times
If South Minneapolis is your flavor, you could consider any of the neighborhoods near the light rail. That would give you easy access to downtown (great if you work there - no need to deal with traffic or pay for parking!), the airport, and Mall of America. I know there are several nice neighborhoods in that area that are a bit quieter, though I'm sure a south Minneapolis resident could chime in a little better on specifics.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,436 times
You may wish to look at the townhouses and apartments in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood of St. Paul. You are walking distance from some of the most amazing historical homes in the state, and can bicycle to downtown from there - it's a breeze! Bicycling back, however, can be a bit of a chore...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul