Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 AM

290 posts, read 547,833 times

Advertisements

Residents need to put their own views of MOA aside and think of how the place might be viewed as a first-time visitor. It's definitely worth a visit and one of the few true tourist attractions for the general population.

My main complaint is that it used to be a lot more interesting with a lot more unique stores. The last time I went (a few years ago), so many more of the typical clothing stores had moved in there. Remember the thrill of the two-level sporting good store where you could try out the equipment inside the store at the basketball court, etc? There was some store containing just bones and stuff about the anatomy. A chili store. Hologram store. There are still many unique stores, but it's sad to see it slowly overtaken by stores you see in any other mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM

22 posts, read 42,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
This is a fairly frequent topic so sometimes people are all on fire to help, and sometimes they're burned out on it for a bit so it helps to spend an hour or so checking out other threads in here.

Here's a thread from a month or so back with a lot of recommendations (a lot of them mine, but others agreed and I'm only quoting it because I didn't have to look hard to find it): //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...olis-week.html
I hear you. But when you don't frequent this board you don't exactly know what to look for. A lot of cities have a sticky at the top for visitors but since Minny didn't have one I just made my own thread.

Didn't mean to cause any extra burnout though, but I appreciate everyone's input. Keep it coming if you can!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM

455 posts, read 638,614 times
Is there something special about the IKEA by MOA? Since it's just a cheap chain furniture store, I'm trying to understand why people keep bringing it up...

Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Is there something special about the IKEA by MOA? Since it's just a cheap chain furniture store, I'm trying to understand why people keep bringing it up...
I think it represents a connection to the motherland.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM

481 posts, read 1,818,081 times
A lot of us are only 2 or 3 generations from it. The old country still calls pretty strongly up here.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times
MOA is STILL the best mall I've personally ever been to (as a guy shopper with no real shopping agenda). I just don't know what else a mall can really offer besides boutiques, but guess what....MOA is NOT a boutique mall and it attracts clients with lots of money (not necessarily high-end either).

Old 06-20-2011, 03:20 PM

164 posts, read 257,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I just don't know what else a mall can really offer besides boutiques,
maybe an indoor ski resort?

... or an all-weather tropical beach?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 AM

988 posts, read 1,829,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Residents need to put their own views of MOA aside and think of how the place might be viewed as a first-time visitor. It's definitely worth a visit and one of the few true tourist attractions for the general population.

Agreed...I'm not personally a shopper so any mall is not an attraction for me personally. However, I can understand why one might want to see MOA. I'm sure things I find interesting would bore others to tears...seriously, I'm planning trips to go watch drum corps shows!

My main complaint is that it used to be a lot more interesting with a lot more unique stores. The last time I went (a few years ago), so many more of the typical clothing stores had moved in there. Remember the thrill of the two-level sporting good store where you could try out the equipment inside the store at the basketball court, etc? There was some store containing just bones and stuff about the anatomy. A chili store. Hologram store. There are still many unique stores, but it's sad to see it slowly overtaken by stores you see in any other mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
MOA is STILL the best mall I've personally ever been to (as a guy shopper with no real shopping agenda). I just don't know what else a mall can really offer besides boutiques, but guess what....MOA is NOT a boutique mall and it attracts clients with lots of money (not necessarily high-end either).
Perhaps with the new Radisson Blu Hotel being built that will change. For the price point Radisson Blu's are at (Radisson Hotel supped up), people coming to visit MOA and staying there will be expecting something more than chains available at any other mall - at least I would imagine. However, therein lies the difficulty. I think MOA has really focused on the Midwestern traveler. Not to pick on my fellow Midwesterner's, as my shopping tendencies are pretty Midwestern, but traditionally Midwesterner's practical nature isn't as likely to drop $300 on a purse or pair of shoes just because of a name or because it's very fashionable - even if they have the money. They might spend it on family entertainment such as a waterpark, but not as much purely material things. Therefore, chicken or egg question hits: Will the Blu customer bring the high-end/unique stores to MOA, or other way around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think it represents a connection to the motherland.
HAH! LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
Maybe a rock climbing exhibit from Nick World to the theater?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
You expect that in a mall? Or you want the mall to be a giant gimmick? I know the "American Dream" may have those things but I think it's a waste of money, personally. We can ski outdoors here 4 or 5 months of the year, why would we want an indoor hill? Besides, the airport would have a problem with a 500' hill right next to their landing strips!

The MOA needs to do something new and creative when it expands (and I think it will and become the biggest mall in the world again). Stay AHEAD of the competition -- be a trailblazer.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
Remember the thrill of the two-level sporting good store where you could try out the equipment inside the store at the basketball court, etc?
You are thinking of Oshman's Supersports which was just one level. The Oshman's brand was purchased by another company in 2001, then merged with Sports Authority in 2003. Best Buy is now in their old MOA space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul