Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,742,031 times

Advertisements

Tho i haven't been to the TCs since i was really young, I don't think the Cities are world class...To tell the truth, I don't even find Chicago to be "World Class".

Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,740,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRush View Post
Tho i haven't been to the TCs since i was really young, I don't think the Cities are world class...To tell the truth, I don't even find Chicago to be "World Class".
Chicago's not world class???........tough crowd

Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
MSP isn't world class . . . . and that's what I like about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
What is inherently wrong with a city being world class?
Northstar wasn't saying there's anything wrong with being world class. They were just saying that Minneapolis simply isn't. And that living in a city that is world class isn't to their tastes. And I agree.

The OP's reasons for citing the Twin Cities as being world class are faulty.

The Mall of America isn't the largest. To be honest, it's not even that interesting anymore. It was a great novelty when it opened but have you been there recently? There's nothing unusual or out of the ordinary about what's there. It's just a giant strip mall with nothing special in it.

Being the biggest on the Mississippi? That qualifies for nothing. I don't think anyone makes life choices or vacation plans by asking, "What's the biggest city on the Mississippi?"

The MSP airport is just an airport. It's a place you spend time between flights. It's not a destination location. The airlines still overcharge, over-harrass and force passengers into submission. So does TSA. What's to love about airports? That they have pretty sculptures or nice shopping? Is that making airports "world class?"

Home to all four sports? Big. Deal. Over-priced tickets and food where the money goes into the already overflowing pockets of the players and owners who want the public to pay for bigger and better stadiums. That's not world class. (And neither are MN teams.) That's greed. And MN teams can't win and always seem to be getting in trouble with the law. Especially the Vikings. Role models (and world class) they ain't.

And the fact that we ARE the Twin Cities? Two cities as different as night and day with rivalry between the two? Can you hear potential vacationers at home saying, "Dear, let's do visit the Twin Cities! I simply love the idea that they compliment and need each other! Forget that Around the World cruise! It's the Twin Cities for us!"

The Twin Cities are NOT world class at anything except for city taxes and public transportation rates (which, when raised again as planned, will make the Twin Cities THE most expensive city transportation system in the country.)

Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 AM

221 posts, read 486,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Northstar wasn't saying there's anything wrong with being world class. They were just saying that Minneapolis simply isn't. And that living in a city that is world class isn't to their tastes. And I agree.

The OP's reasons for citing the Twin Cities as being world class are faulty.

The Mall of America isn't the largest. To be honest, it's not even that interesting anymore. It was a great novelty when it opened but have you been there recently? There's nothing unusual or out of the ordinary about what's there. It's just a giant strip mall with nothing special in it.

Being the biggest on the Mississippi? That qualifies for nothing. I don't think anyone makes life choices or vacation plans by asking, "What's the biggest city on the Mississippi?"

The MSP airport is just an airport. It's a place you spend time between flights. It's not a destination location. The airlines still overcharge, over-harrass and force passengers into submission. So does TSA. What's to love about airports? That they have pretty sculptures or nice shopping? Is that making airports "world class?"

Home to all four sports? Big. Deal. Over-priced tickets and food where the money goes into the already overflowing pockets of the players and owners who want the public to pay for bigger and better stadiums. That's not world class. (And neither are MN teams.) That's greed. And MN teams can't win and always seem to be getting in trouble with the law. Especially the Vikings. Role models (and world class) they ain't.

And the fact that we ARE the Twin Cities? Two cities as different as night and day with rivalry between the two? Can you hear potential vacationers at home saying, "Dear, let's do visit the Twin Cities! I simply love the idea that they compliment and need each other! Forget that Around the World cruise! It's the Twin Cities for us!"

The Twin Cities are NOT world class at anything except for city taxes and public transportation rates (which, when raised again as planned, will make the Twin Cities THE most expensive city transportation system in the country.)
Yep, I agree with everything in your post. From the posts I read and the kind of threads that are created in the Minneapolis-St. Paul forum (like this one), I get the feeling there are alot of people here who either think too highly of Minneapolis and have an over inflated view on the city, or desperately want Minneapolis to be a city that it may never be (atleast not anytime soon)--a world class or global city. A stat has been thrown around on this board that something like 70% of the people from Minnesota, stay in Minnesota. Maybe that's the problem: The people in Minnesota are simply not well-traveled, and haven't had the opportunity (through experiences) to broaden their perspective on the world (or atleast in the US) to actually view their city more accurately. Now, I'm not trying to say that Minneapolis is a bad city or anything, but compared to cities like San Francisco and LA and New York, I mean, come on!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Sounds like a magazine writer asking us to do free research for him.
I agree, by the way, that the OP is likely a writer of some sort.

But, what he's doing isn't a crime or unethical. He starts questions of this nature but never participates in the discussions. That makes him a poor, lazy researcher but not unethical in any way. I say poor researcher because the info he's getting is weak. It's just very limited opinions and no facts whatsoever.

And yes, it might be "free" but it's not costing anyone to comment and give their thoughts either. The OP is just gauging area opinions. All writers do that on pieces like these, especially when they don't live in the area. (The OP is from KC, I believe.)

Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 AM

136 posts, read 385,413 times
It should be noted that there are other twin cities out there nationally and worldwide...we just have the popular designation.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM

326 posts, read 873,974 times
The phrase "world class" can mean many different things. Between the natural Minnesota beauty, clean and modern city amenities, and varied parks and trails, I think the Twin Cities are the best large urban area I have ever seen. And I've visited almost every major US city in addition to many in Europe.

Does that make the Cities "world class?" I really have no idea. And I don't think that I care much, either.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,804,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Yep, I agree with everything in your post. From the posts I read and the kind of threads that are created in the Minneapolis-St. Paul forum (like this one), I get the feeling there are alot of people here who either think too highly of Minneapolis and have an over inflated view on the city, or desperately want Minneapolis to be a city that it may never be (atleast not anytime soon)--a world class or global city. A stat has been thrown around on this board that something like 70% of the people from Minnesota, stay in Minnesota. Maybe that's the problem: The people in Minnesota are simply not well-traveled, and haven't had the opportunity (through experiences) to broaden their perspective on the world (or atleast in the US) to actually view their city more accurately. Now, I'm not trying to say that Minneapolis is a bad city or anything, but compared to cities like San Francisco and LA and New York, I mean, come on!!!
Where's the evidence to back THAT up? Doesn't Minnesota also have the highest (or was it just one of the highest?) rates of passport ownership? True, not as many people from Minnesota elsewhere as in some states, but that does not translate into lack of exposure to other cities. I've done more traveling while living in MN than anywhere else we've lived (as have my friends), in large part because I can afford to do so here. Cost of living is relatively low, we have an international airport. Just because people aren't moving to other locations in large percentages doesn't mean that they live in a cave or don't leave state (or country) borders.

That said, I think there are simply different definitions of "world-class." I don't think Minneapolis is anywhere near the ranks of the BIG "world-class" cities; it's no New York, Paris, London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc. But size alone does not make a world-class city. I don't think our airport or sports make it competitive as a city that is of any interest internationally, but I do think we have a solid reputation for arts and culture, as well as our parks system (including lakes and river). It's a nice city (or Twin Cities), it's very livable, it has some interesting things going on (in some cases innovative), and while it's not attempting to compete with the truly big and famous cities, it's still a nice place to visit and live, and does have some recognition factor.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Personally, I've traveled and lived all around the world.

I don't think Minneapolis is "world class" but I can tell you this: in spite of its faults, it really is a doggone good place to live for a city.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,740,379 times
Agreed. We all have different definitions of world class, so we'll never settle on an answer. I think in a general sense for me, the Twin Cities stand out because they exceed expectations. My east coast relatives who have not been to Minnesota sometimes associate us with a small town, prairie winter wasteland. And then they make a trip out here and are presently surprised at how large and cosmopolitan we are, among other things.

I can tell you this much, I won't name names because I don't want to offend anyone, but I can think of 2 dozen large cities I have been to that have virtually nothing unique or special about them. The twin cities is certainly not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul