Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

I think San Francisco definitely counts as a "world-class cit,." (especially if you consider the whole Bay Area) and would put it above Chicago and Philadelphia in terms of "world-class.". I think DC is a world-class city; it's status as capitol helps cement that. I don't think Minneapolis does, although I don't think size or tourism alone defines world-class. If Minneapolis could do some radically innovative stuff then I think it could be a world-class city, even if smaller and not one of the world's economic powerhouses. I don't see that happening anytime soon, though.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 57,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Well, I agree with you up to a point. New York and Los Angeles are both world class cities, no question about that. I suppose we could create a tier of cities just below New York and LA that would include most of the cities you listed: Boston, San Francisco, and Chicago. Other cities I would put in that tier would include Philadelphia and Washington D.C. Some would argue that every single city I listed are world class, simply two tiers of world class cities. Minneapolis, on the other hand, isn't on the level of the second tier of cities that I named (I've lived in or visited almost all of them, so I know this for a fact). Also, the second tier cities I listed are very expensive (though, Chicago and Philly are more affordable) and heavily toured. Minneapolis, not so much. Infact, pretty much all of the cities that are considered in the same tier as Minneapolis/St. Paul seem to have more national recognition and more tourism (and, for the most part, higher cost of living): Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Miami (though, Miami might be in that higher tier, I don't know), Houston (Same with Miami, might be in the higher tier). I'd also put Atlanta in that 3rd tier with Minneapolis and Denver and Seattle.

So, even if New York and LA were the only US cities that qualify as "World Class," I Still don't think Minneapolis would quite come close like San Francisco and Washington D.C. and Chicago. Though, I think all five of those cities: New York, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington D.C. are undisputed world class cities with "possibles" given to Boston (never visited, but basing this assessment off of research) and Philadelphia. So sorry guys, Minneapolis is not a world class city. Get over it!!!

I don't know...when I think of world class I think of the first city that comes to mind when they think of an influential country. Like...when you say 'England' you think London, not Manchester. When you say Japan, you think Tokyo. When you say the U.S., foreigners most likely think of NYC, the statue of liberty, etc. I include L.A. only because of the American entertainment industry which is incredibly influential on the global stage. Washington D.C. could of course be included but that is just the area of government...I just don't see it as a GLOBAL city. NYC should have been the capital...it actually was at one time.

Miami is actually bigger than most people realize since it is basically the connecting city of South America to the U.S. which is why the Port of Miami is the second largest in the world and Miami has the most international banks there...However, Miami isn't a global city either. But definitely is on rank of Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
2. MSP Airport- handles over 30 million passengers each year, consistently ranks as one of the best airports in America and the world, hub for Delta, and has many international destinations and flights.
I don't quite agree with the "many international destinations and flights" bit! From what I remembered reading about the airport the ONLY destinations outside of North America the airport has are: London-Heathrow, London-Gatwick, Paris-de Gaulle, Amsterdam-Schipol, Tokyo-Narita and Reykjavik...

Maybe not bad when compared to many US cities but I still think its seriously lacking for an area like the Twin Cities (one that has fairly high, well-above average income levels, has a decently-sized population in its metro and is an aviation hub of a fairly vast area, has plenty of corporate and educational institutions with lots of foreign interests and partnerships, and located in a state with the highest passport ownership rate in the entire continental US in between the West and East Coasts - dating back even till before all the regulations regarding travel to Canada and Mexico got changed) and I believe they should start actively courting other airlines to increase the choice of international destinations and airlines available in the Metro. Perhaps they should start with Delta's Skyteam partners such as Air France, KLM, Alitalia, Aeroflot, Korean Air, China Southern, and so on!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 09-03-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by نصار View Post
My family moved to Minneapolis Minnesota from the middle east when i was a child. Now before the big move the made a trip to the USA and Canada and visited almost every major Metro Area like Los Angeles Seattle New York Boston Atlanta Chicago Kansas City and Detroit just to name a few

However when they visited the Twin Cities they fell in love. The people are very nice. so much to do in the area. amazing shopping. very affordable. alot to do. they really liked how MPLS has such a cosmopolitan feel to it. but still have so much beautiful parks that makes you think your in the middle of the country ( Lake Calhoun and the area around the Mississippi )

The cities are home to many major American companies, Major Airport, 3 major rivers running through the Metro, Mississippi Minnesota and St Croix and alot of Lakes. I94 and I35 take you in and out of the cities. Growing Mass Transit System. Home to about 3 million people. and Low Crime. Residents of the Cities have alot to do from skiing or snowboarding in Afton Alps (15miles from downtown STP) Gambling in Mystic Lake or Treasure island. Family trips to Valley Fair or MOA. Boating on the Rivers and Lakes. visiting there cabins in northern MN. Road trips to Wisconsin Dells, Chicago or Mt Rushmore

Minneapolis-St Paul is defiantly world class and a amazing city to live
I wouldn't count Minneapolis-St. Paul as world class just yet (its lack of name recognition and internationally recognizable identity are VERY BIG strikes against it in that department) though I would definitely rank it as being among the top 20 most important US cities for sure! But being fairly important in what is still the most powerful nation on Earth is still quite a feat in the grand scheme of things!

But I guess there are some perks to having the area being fairly invisible in the global consciousness such as what has been mentioned by some others in this thread! Hell if I were a celebrity, I'd definitely choose to reside in the Twin Cities OVER all those more glamorous media and power centers like NYC, LA, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, Washington, San Francisco, etc... Because here at least the odds of running into papparazzi is very minimal and I don't feel the pressure to have to obsess with keeping up with the joneses as much!

But anyway, I do personally consider Minnesota to be my favorite US state and I'm sure to visit it again sometime in the future!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Weeeeeelllll, St. Paul is 2nd place in colleges per capita in the country. St. Paul held the RNC Convention - you don't get that unless you are at least minimally world class. The life expectancy is second to no other large urban center in the country and healthcare and welfare for poor people is also second to none (which is why Chicagoans, Milwaukeeans and Detroiters all migrate here, which sort of sucks for our native population who've been here for generations).

Obviously all four major sports teams, which is nice. Plus we were top five in a recent survey of "most happy states" - and the only one with all four major sports.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Weeeeeelllll
Obviously all four major sports teams, which is nice. Plus we were top five in a recent survey of "most happy states" - and the only one with all four major sports.
The only problem is the four major league teams in the TC region simply can't win Titles these days or even reach the championship rounds! The area's championship and championship round-appearance drought is now 20 years and counting!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
The only problem is the four major league teams in the TC region simply can't win Titles these days or even reach the championship rounds! The area's championship and championship round-appearance drought is now 20 years and counting!
The Queens have had a couple years where no question should have got the 4 runner ups from the Purple People Eaters off their back years ago ('98 [maybe the greatest football team ever] and '09). As far as the Wild and Wolves - well the Wolves had some respectable seasons with the "Big Three" not too long ago and the Wild have only been here for a decade.

The Twins are our only world champions, but we do have national NCAA champions in hockey (Gophers repeat titles in '02-'03 and of course UMD last year). The Twins have also absolutely ruled the AL Central for the last decade. This year was just a train wreck with all the injuries.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 PM

332 posts, read 822,045 times
the people, the weather, great education system

Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Where's the evidence to back THAT up? Doesn't Minnesota also have the highest (or was it just one of the highest?) rates of passport ownership?
It would be interesting to research who are the owners of these passports.
Minneapolis is home to a number of Fortune 500 companies, which can entail a lot of foreign business travel, which is no reflection of the average citizen as being more adventuresome than other cities.

A number of middle class people in Tijuana have passports, which they use
to shop for cheaper goods across the border.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It would be interesting to research who are the owners of these passports.
Minneapolis is home to a number of Fortune 500 companies, which can entail a lot of foreign business travel, which is no reflection of the average citizen as being more adventuresome than other cities.

A number of middle class people in Tijuana have passports, which they use
to shop for cheaper goods across the border.
Like I said in the passport thread, I don't know a single family where at least ONE person doesn't have a passport. Almost everyone I know has traveled out of the country at least once. I would suspect anyone on this board that is over 30 has a similar experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul