Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,062,784 times

Advertisements

In The US, we very arrogantly assume that all of our cities are of overriding global importance. As a result , we abuse the term "World Class" when applying it to our urban areas. On an international level, New York is the very epitome of American urban life. Not other city compares on that same level. Los Angeles, for its cultural influence; and Washington, for its political influence are clearly there on the next level. Throw in Chicago, for its international business profile; and San Francisco, for its iconic presence.

Beyond that, things get highly subjective. Some cities are known primarily for their tourism industry: Miami, Honolulu, Las Vegas, New Orleans. Other cities are important international business destinations: Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta. Still other cities are understood in terms of their historic importance: Philadelphia, Boston, St Louis, Detroit. A few other US cities would fall into one of these categories; but once you get past NY, LA, SF, CHI, and DC, no US city is an obvious choice for "World Class" distinction.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,197,701 times
I dough you passport statics.
But, then again a lot of us have the enhanced drivers lic, so we can go to Canada.

Lets say Minnesotans are world travelers.

Then the answer would be no.
Mpls does try, but no, it is not "world class"

It sure lacks culture.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,398,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
But, then again a lot of us have the enhanced drivers lic, so we can go to Canada.

It sure lacks culture.
Where are you getting this stuff? Minneapolis "lacks culture"? The largest Somali community in America and in the world outside of Mogadishu. The second largest Indochinese population in America.

All the melting of European cultures. It's above and beyond just about any other area in diversity outside of the top several populated cities in America.

I don't know if diversity is correlated to culture, but diversity is diversity, and the TC has a TON of it.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,998,959 times
Quote:

It sure lacks culture.
If you got a problem with the passport stats, then argue with the State Department who after all are the ones who distribute passports. The ratios only come because someone decided to add up the number of passport applications by state over the last ten years (using State Department stats of course), divided it by the total number of current residents and there you go! But its still State Department stats so take your argument to them if you have any doubts or issues with this!

But lemme tell you one thing I know: Minnesota is one of the TOP 10 states whose residents I meet MOST outside North America. And a fair number of these are NOT corporate types working for Fortune 500 businesses! This is my observation as someone who lives in and has gone around the Asia-Pacific region!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 09-04-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 AM

166 posts, read 392,726 times
Because people all over the world are here (seemingly) anyone been to Macalester's graduation and looked at the number of different flags representing international students?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 AM

Diversity does not mean culture.

To much diversity dilutes the culture.

The Somalies do not want to assemealiate.One of the definitions of “tragedy” is a fall brought about by excess of virtue. Oedipus is destroyed by his thirst for truth, and Macbeth by his originally high-minded ambition. By this definition, the people of Minnesota are truly tragic figures, as their spirit of compassion is leading them to import third-world immigrants who threaten to erode the social fabric of the state.
Minnesota is best known for a polite, “Minnesota-nice” way. The state was founded by a mixture of Scandinavian, Yankee, and German settlers and has always led the nation in progressive causes. This political orientation is deeply rooted in the German/Scandinavian, and Puritan/Quaker folkways of community order, civic virtue, and an equitable society. Liberal politicians like Walter Mondale, Eugene McCarthy, and Al Franken are typical of the state.
Minnesota’s progressivism has never been tempered with bitter racial strife. When it comes to race matters, these Nordics are what Wilmot Robertson called “Old Believers” in his classic book The Dispossessed Majority.1 Old Believers are whites who are so accustomed to a homogeneous society that they do not understand how destructive non-whites can be. Old Believers remain mired in the outlook of past social reformers and still seem to think that a dose of “understanding,” church attendance, jobs programs, welfare reform, and the like will turn third-world peoples into respectable Midwesterners overnight.
These egalitarian progressive folkways have led Minnesotans to import various groups from the Third World. In the 1970s, the Hmong, a Southeast Asian tribe, were a popular import; there are now 46,000 of them living in Minnesota, and 38,000 in neighboring Wisconsin. Hmong have proven a disaster. They are heavily involved in gangs, which, in addition to committing the usual crimes of auto theft, drug dealing, pimping, and murder, have distinguished themselves through their practice of gang rape (http://wcco.com/topstories/rape.sexual.assault.2.351747.html - broken link). Welfare use among Minnesota Hmong is also sky high. There are few better portraits of the trauma that unassimilated immigrants inflict on white communities than Roy Beck’s classic article on the Hmong in Wisconsin.

Since the 1990s, they have been importing another third-world people, Somalis, who are also proving inassimilable. When one looks at Somalis’ background, their failure to adopt Minnesota-nice ways is unsurprising.
Somalia—The Advance Guard of Third-World Anarchy

Known to Americans today principally for piracy and the 1993 “Black Hawk Down” incident, Somalia epitomizes third-world anarchy. Torn by war and governed by a military dictatorship until 1991, this Muslim nation today has no government, no effective currency, no banking, and no economic activity that creates real wealth. My combat service was in Iraq, and I never went to Somalia, but many of the men and women serving next to me were veterans of Operation Restore Hope, the United Nations-led military campaign in Somalia of 1992-93. Their stories described a people who do little but steal, burn tires, chew khat—a stimulant drug like a very strong form of tobacco—and fight. This culture of sloth, crime, and violence is visible even in the behavior of the children. I once spoke to a female colonel who said that a Somali child had snatched her sunglasses right off her face. Another soldier told me that while he was on a patrol he saw two Somali children, each armed with an AK-47, arguing over a jacket. The patrol passed by unconcerned, then a shot rang out—one of the kids had gotten the jacket, and the other was dying in the street. Another soldier, a truck driver, described his convoys as Wild West gunfights: “You needed to drive, pedal to the metal, from the base to the edge of town where the empty desert started before the shooting stopped.”
The majority of Somalis are not only illiterate, but ignorant of the basic characteristics of modern societies. Credit reports, driver’s licenses, tax forms, electrical appliances, even timekeeping—all are beyond their understanding. Would-be Somali immigrants, who take a crash course on American life at Kenyan refugee camps, require clarification on the most basic points:

Minnesota Somalis have already begun lobbying to legitimate Islamic law. Somali taxi drivers created a media firestorm in 2007 when they refused to transport (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,241527,00.html - broken link) people with dogs or alcohol in their cabs. While the this effort was beaten back, the Somali campaign for “Islamic mortgages” was successful. Under Islamic law, charging interest is illegal, so Islamic activists at the African Development Center pressured the state of Minnesota to implement a program that would purchase homes and sell them to Muslims for a higher price, but with interest-free loans. This pandering will likely harm Minnesota’s economy, as peoples of third-world origin are likely to default on mortgage payments.

Welfare

Somalis are gaining increased political clout that they can use against whites, but they need a great deal of white money to keep the heat on during Minnesota’s winters. Somalis are largely unemployable in America’s fast, productive economy. The sloth described by American troops stationed in Somalia is also evident in the work performance of Somali immigrants. In 2008, meatpacking companies became targets for DHS raids on illegal immigrants from Mexico. Still seeking to avoid paying higher wages to whites, a Colorado meatpacking plant replaced the Mexicans with Somalis who were legal residents of the US. At first the hire seemed a good move, but the Somalis demanded an unreasonable amount of time off to practice their religion. The plant ended up firing hundreds.

Minnesota Somalis are providing aid to Somali pirates as well. Recently, Omar Jamal, director of the St.Paul-based Somali Justice Activism Center, announced (http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/43398882.html - broken link) that his organization was making sure Abdiwali Abdiqadir Muse, one of the pirates involved in the attack on the Maersk Alabama in April, would get a fair trial. Such a misplaced sense of justice is too much even for Minnesotans, however. State representative Marty Seifert has made it his mission to see that all federal funds to the organization are blocked.

To turn from madness, Minnesotans need to start to dismantle their welfare system and turn their refugee agents into resettlement agents. Somalis in Minnesota should be resettled in Africa—if not in Somalia itself, then in Djibouti, Kenya, or Ethiopia. Additionally, plans to import any more tragic third-world peoples must be halted. Minnesotans have now brought in two disastrous minorities, and it is only a matter of time before some Old Believer will discover a new tribe requiring salvation. Interventionists must be on the lookout for such impulses and nip them in the bud.

http://whiteamerica.us/index.php/art...omali_madness/

You can keep your "culture" if this is what your reveling over.

"This is my observation as someone who lives in and has gone around the Asia-Pacific region!"

wow a ! mark.

Was this for sex tourism?

I'd like to see some links and statistics not just you saying it is so, as I think most just go to Canada.

But I do have a couple of stamps in mine. (passport)

Last edited by snofarmer; 09-06-2011 at 07:04 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:

The Somalies do not want to assemealiate.One of the definitions of “tragedy” is a fall brought about by excess of virtue. Oedipus is destroyed by his thirst for truth, and Macbeth by his originally high-minded ambition. By this definition, the people of Minnesota are truly tragic figures, as their spirit of compassion is leading them to import third-world immigrants who threaten to erode the social fabric of the state.
Minnesota is best known for a polite, “Minnesota-nice” way. The state was founded by a mixture of Scandinavian, Yankee, and German settlers and has always led the nation in progressive causes. This political orientation is deeply rooted in the German/Scandinavian, and Puritan/Quaker folkways of community order, civic virtue, and an equitable society. Liberal politicians like Walter Mondale, Eugene McCarthy, and Al Franken are typical of the state.
Minnesota’s progressivism has never been tempered with bitter racial strife. When it comes to race matters, these Nordics are what Wilmot Robertson called “Old Believers” in his classic book The Dispossessed Majority.1 Old Believers are whites who are so accustomed to a homogeneous society that they do not understand how destructive non-whites can be. Old Believers remain mired in the outlook of past social reformers and still seem to think that a dose of “understanding,” church attendance, jobs programs, welfare reform, and the like will turn third-world peoples into respectable Midwesterners overnight.
These egalitarian progressive folkways have led Minnesotans to import various groups from the Third World. In the 1970s, the Hmong, a Southeast Asian tribe, were a popular import; there are now 46,000 of them living in Minnesota, and 38,000 in neighboring Wisconsin. Hmong have proven a disaster. They are heavily involved in gangs, which, in addition to committing the usual crimes of auto theft, drug dealing, pimping, and murder, have distinguished themselves through their practice of gang rape (http://wcco.com/topstories/rape.sexual.assault.2.351747.html - broken link). Welfare use among Minnesota Hmong is also sky high. There are few better portraits of the trauma that unassimilated immigrants inflict on white communities than Roy Beck’s classic article on the Hmong in Wisconsin.

Since the 1990s, they have been importing another third-world people, Somalis, who are also proving inassimilable. When one looks at Somalis’ background, their failure to adopt Minnesota-nice ways is unsurprising.

Known to Americans today principally for piracy and the 1993 “Black Hawk Down” incident, Somalia epitomizes third-world anarchy. Torn by war and governed by a military dictatorship until 1991, this Muslim nation today has no government, no effective currency, no banking, and no economic activity that creates real wealth. My combat service was in Iraq, and I never went to Somalia, but many of the men and women serving next to me were veterans of Operation Restore Hope, the United Nations-led military campaign in Somalia of 1992-93. Their stories described a people who do little but steal, burn tires, chew khat—a stimulant drug like a very strong form of tobacco—and fight. This culture of sloth, crime, and violence is visible even in the behavior of the children. I once spoke to a female colonel who said that a Somali child had snatched her sunglasses right off her face. Another soldier told me that while he was on a patrol he saw two Somali children, each armed with an AK-47, arguing over a jacket. The patrol passed by unconcerned, then a shot rang out—one of the kids had gotten the jacket, and the other was dying in the street. Another soldier, a truck driver, described his convoys as Wild West gunfights: “You needed to drive, pedal to the metal, from the base to the edge of town where the empty desert started before the shooting stopped.”
The majority of Somalis are not only illiterate, but ignorant of the basic characteristics of modern societies. Credit reports, driver’s licenses, tax forms, electrical appliances, even timekeeping—all are beyond their understanding. Would-be Somali immigrants, who take a crash course on American life at Kenyan refugee camps, require clarification on the most basic points:

Minnesota Somalis have already begun lobbying to legitimate Islamic law. Somali taxi drivers created a media firestorm in 2007 when they refused to transport (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,241527,00.html - broken link) people with dogs or alcohol in their cabs. While the this effort was beaten back, the Somali campaign for “Islamic mortgages” was successful. Under Islamic law, charging interest is illegal, so Islamic activists at the African Development Center pressured the state of Minnesota to implement a program that would purchase homes and sell them to Muslims for a higher price, but with interest-free loans. This pandering will likely harm Minnesota’s economy, as peoples of third-world origin are likely to default on mortgage payments.

Welfare

Somalis are gaining increased political clout that they can use against whites, but they need a great deal of white money to keep the heat on during Minnesota’s winters. Somalis are largely unemployable in America’s fast, productive economy. The sloth described by American troops stationed in Somalia is also evident in the work performance of Somali immigrants. In 2008, meatpacking companies became targets for DHS raids on illegal immigrants from Mexico. Still seeking to avoid paying higher wages to whites, a Colorado meatpacking plant replaced the Mexicans with Somalis who were legal residents of the US. At first the hire seemed a good move, but the Somalis demanded an unreasonable amount of time off to practice their religion. The plant ended up firing hundreds.

Minnesota Somalis are providing aid to Somali pirates as well. Recently, Omar Jamal, director of the St.Paul-based Somali Justice Activism Center, announced (http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/43398882.html - broken link) that his organization was making sure Abdiwali Abdiqadir Muse, one of the pirates involved in the attack on the Maersk Alabama in April, would get a fair trial. Such a misplaced sense of justice is too much even for Minnesotans, however. State representative Marty Seifert has made it his mission to see that all federal funds to the organization are blocked.

To turn from madness, Minnesotans need to start to dismantle their welfare system and turn their refugee agents into resettlement agents. Somalis in Minnesota should be resettled in Africa—if not in Somalia itself, then in Djibouti, Kenya, or Ethiopia. Additionally, plans to import any more tragic third-world peoples must be halted. Minnesotans have now brought in two disastrous minorities, and it is only a matter of time before some Old Believer will discover a new tribe requiring salvation. Interventionists must be on the lookout for such impulses and nip them in the bud.

http://whiteamerica.us/index.php/art...omali_madness/

You can keep your "culture" if this is what your reveling over.

"This is my observation as someone who lives in and has gone around the Asia-Pacific region!"

wow a ! mark.

Was this for sex tourism?

I'd like to see some links and statistics not just you saying it is so, as I think most just go to Canada.

But I do have a couple of stamps in mine. (passport)
I agree about the Somali thing and couldn't agree more that our welfare system is the best in the country, thus why many people migrate here - to leach off that great welfare. Why in the world would a East African or Southeast Asian want to live in the coldest state in America? It's cold! There is only one explanation.

But at the same time, I guess I don't understand your "lack of culture" sentiments. What exactly would you define as "culture"?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Diversity dilutes culture.

If you have a a region that is predominately Scandinavian and dilute it with Hmungs , Somalies, Vietnamese and other "cultures" it dilutes all of the culture in the area.

a non-diverse area would have a predominant culture.
    1. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
    2. These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
    3. These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.
    4. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.
It's not the "lack" of cultures it is the melting pot that kills culture.

These refugees would have to embrace our way of life (our culture) instead they could give a dam.
(it's there right, but it stiffels any culture from being predominate.)

Mpls is too big, if you want culture you have to go to a city that is not as diverse.

Mpls is not as refined as they would like to think it is.

So what kind of culture are you looking for?
Funky?

African, Asian, native American or Scandinavian ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

But at the same time, I guess I don't understand your "lack of culture" sentiments. What exactly would you define as "culture"?

Last edited by snofarmer; 09-06-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM

865 posts, read 2,507,634 times
Quote:

Old Believers are whites who are so accustomed to a homogeneous society that they do not understand how destructive non-whites can be. Old Believers remain mired in the outlook of past social reformers and still seem to think that a dose of “understanding,” church attendance, jobs programs, welfare reform, and the like will turn third-world peoples into respectable Midwesterners overnight.

Hmong have proven a disaster. They are heavily involved in gangs, which, in addition to committing the usual crimes of auto theft, drug dealing, pimping, and murder, have distinguished themselves through their practice of gang rape (http://wcco.com/topstories/rape.sexual.assault.2.351747.html - broken link). Welfare use among Minnesota Hmong is also sky high. There are few better portraits of the trauma that unassimilated immigrants inflict on white communities than Roy Beck’s classic article on the Hmong in Wisconsin.

Somalis are largely unemployable in America’s fast, productive economy. The sloth described by American troops stationed in Somalia is also evident in the work performance of Somali immigrants.

Wow! I'm sure glad you're not overly concern about coming across as a racist _ _ _! I see a lot of anecdotal garbage, but light on stats. I can't believe you're referencing whiteamerica.us and expecting us to take you seriously! I've seen just as many posters have positive things to say about the Somalis they have interacted with. Ever stop to think the Somalis in the US were FLEEING the situations you war buddies described as happening in their homeland. That they value something MORE? Trying cutting the stereotypes and look to the individual. I hope no one else on the forum gives you the time of day.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Wow! I'm sure glad you're not overly concern about coming across as a racist _ _ _! I see a lot of anecdotal garbage, but light on stats. I can't believe you're referencing whiteamerica.us and expecting us to take you seriously! I've seen just as many posters have positive things to say about the Somalis they have interacted with. Ever stop to think the Somalis in the US were FLEEING the situations you war buddies described as happening in their homeland. That they value something MORE? Trying cutting the stereotypes and look to the individual. I hope no one else on the forum gives you the time of day.
I wouldn't call his statement "racist," he is entitled to an opinion such that Somalis are not integrating. I guess I would ask you why exactly did they choose Minnesota as their place to migrate to? Was it because of the weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul