Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 43,643 times

Advertisements

where you can have a lot of varieties and reasonable prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM

812 posts, read 2,178,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venti View Post
where you can have a lot of varieties and reasonable prices.
Cub and Rainbow are the two big grocery chains. SuperTarget has a smaller grocery area but still a good sized selection and decent prices. Most Targets have some sort of grocery now. Aldi is the bargain basement priced chain. I went for the first time yesterday. All I bought were clementines but they were .99 for two lbs and are surprisingly good. People have told me Wal-Mart has the cheapest groceries but I haven't been there.

Cub has a good sized organic section. Otherwise there's Whole Foods but it's not cheap. Fresh and Natural Foods in Plymouth is a nice choice for that but I think Plymouth is the only location. There's also a host of co-ops around and it seems most areas have access to a farmer's market.

Lunds and Byerly's are both nice to shop in but cost more. Festival is more in the middle. There's cheaper stores but it's not as expensive as some.

You can get cheap meat at a place called Fare for All in New Hope. They're open every other Monday attached to the food shelf. No income or need based shopping, it's for everyone. They buy in bulk, freeze the food and sell it frozen past the freeze buy date. There's a lot of ground turkey products. Today we actually have a turkey in the oven from them.

Coborns Delivers does home delivery. I used them when they were Simon Delivers and liked them a lot. Great produce, prices more along the lines of Festival. They were a lifesaver when I couldn't grocery shop and if I were too busy I would consider going back.

Now I get mine at farmer's markets, Costco, Fare for All, Trader Joes and Target. I was couponing at Rainbow for a while, that's the best place for couponing, but I burned out on it.

Probably more than you asked for but there you go.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 PM

223 posts, read 525,398 times
Default Valuable Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Cub and Rainbow are the two big grocery chains. SuperTarget has a smaller grocery area but still a good sized selection and decent prices. Most Targets have some sort of grocery now. Aldi is the bargain basement priced chain. I went for the first time yesterday. All I bought were clementines but they were .99 for two lbs and are surprisingly good. People have told me Wal-Mart has the cheapest groceries but I haven't been there.

Cub has a good sized organic section. Otherwise there's Whole Foods but it's not cheap. Fresh and Natural Foods in Plymouth is a nice choice for that but I think Plymouth is the only location. There's also a host of co-ops around and it seems most areas have access to a farmer's market.

Lunds and Byerly's are both nice to shop in but cost more. Festival is more in the middle. There's cheaper stores but it's not as expensive as some.

You can get cheap meat at a place called Fare for All in New Hope. They're open every other Monday attached to the food shelf. No income or need based shopping, it's for everyone. They buy in bulk, freeze the food and sell it frozen past the freeze buy date. There's a lot of ground turkey products. Today we actually have a turkey in the oven from them.

Coborns Delivers does home delivery. I used them when they were Simon Delivers and liked them a lot. Great produce, prices more along the lines of Festival. They were a lifesaver when I couldn't grocery shop and if I were too busy I would consider going back.

Now I get mine at farmer's markets, Costco, Fare for All, Trader Joes and Target. I was couponing at Rainbow for a while, that's the best place for couponing, but I burned out on it.

Probably more than you asked for but there you go.
This was very informative. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,822,189 times
I buy everything I can at Target with the exception of specialty items, meat, fruit and produce.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,423,900 times
We are within about 8 blocks of Cub, Rainbow, Aldis, Target and 5-6 small corner Mexican and African supermarkets as well as the Midtown Farmer's Market. Since all of these places offer different products we mix it up quite a bit. The only places we really don't go to for groceries are Target and Rainbow because we aren't impressed with their selection or prices. Target has a good selection of frozen goods, which is essentially worthless for our household.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM

988 posts, read 1,834,042 times
I generally go to Super Target or Cub. Both have decent variety and generally reasonable prices, unless you really need a specialty item. Target (at least mine in Roseville) tends to have some balance of organic and specialty foods (not to the degree of say a Whole Foods, but you also don't pay the premium for the Whole Foods name and philosophy). Target also generally has better laid out and maintained stores (again, using Roseville as my reference).

Cub tends to be a bit utilitarian as far as atmosphere, but not terribly so. Again, prices are there and they actually do have some organic or specialty. In fact, the eggs I like to purchase are available at Cub but not Super Target (Eggland's best Brown eggs, vegetarian fed, and somehow have less cholesterol - perhaps being veggie-fed?).

Rainbow is probably okay on pricing, but I don't personally like the layout and atmosphere, and the other two are more convenient to my home.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 AM

987 posts, read 3,826,721 times
In the summer I get almost all my fresh produce from the MPLS farmer's market. You can't beat the prices.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

223 posts, read 525,398 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
In the summer I get almost all my fresh produce from the MPLS farmer's market. You can't beat the prices.
Thanks! Where is the farmer's market? We have just moved here, so still finding our way around. Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy meat/deli meats? (preferably in the Southern suburbs but we will drive anywhere if necessary.) We were surprised when we went to Cub foods & Rainbow that the deli meat was presliced and not fresh sliced. Do all the stores do that here?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,668,101 times
Mpls Farmers Market is by Lyndale and Glenwood. It's packed every Saturday and Sunday morning, with good reason - it's a lot of fun.

Last edited by audadvnc; 08-15-2011 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM

687 posts, read 1,260,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeb4 View Post
Thanks! Where is the farmer's market? We have just moved here, so still finding our way around. Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy meat/deli meats? (preferably in the Southern suburbs but we will drive anywhere if necessary.) We were surprised when we went to Cub foods & Rainbow that the deli meat was presliced and not fresh sliced. Do all the stores do that here?
There are farmer's markets all over the metro. It's never been clear to me why people are so big on one particular one in Minneapolis.

It also seems weird to me that "normal" grocery stores here lack proper meat counters. I'd expect to find a meat counter in a Byerly's or Lunds. I'd suggest Bob's Produce Ranch in Fridley, but there has to be a decent place much closer to you.

Also, I think Kowalski's is missing from the grocery store chain list. It's kind of like a Byerly's or Lunds.

Oh, there's a Fresh and Natural Foods in Shoreview and Hudson as well as the one in Plymouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul