Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 AM

72 posts, read 158,085 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about possibly just asking a friend if you can crash on the couch during the hardest parts of winter? I'm sure it sucks in every sense of the word to be without a home, but pride is the last thing i'd be worried about in your situation. Get in the heat and under a roof regardless of what you have to do as far as asking and prying at people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
If you have a few thousand saved and you don't have a negative rental history, why don't you rent a cheap apartment? You can probably pay for a year at a really cheap place for around $3,000, especially if you have roommates.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_Hobgood View Post
Have you thought about possibly just asking a friend if you can crash on the couch during the hardest parts of winter? I'm sure it sucks in every sense of the word to be without a home, but pride is the last thing i'd be worried about in your situation. Get in the heat and under a roof regardless of what you have to do as far as asking and prying at people.
Literally all of my friends are now married/out of state or they just aren't that much of friends that that would be a kosher proposal.

I did meet a guy one time who had been homeless and I wondered how he did it in Minnesota. This was his basic answer (in addition to heavy duty tarps):

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I think I'me going to pick one up if in fact I am homeless come December. I am still crossing my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
If you have a few thousand saved and you don't have a negative rental history, why don't you rent a cheap apartment? You can probably pay for a year at a really cheap place for around $3,000, especially if you have roommates.
It's just a tough proposal for me. It's pretty much all I have and god forbid I lose my tranny or something (that's three grand right there). I want that to be ultimate last resort funds.

I had so much more only 5-6 years ago. I was well into five figures through work and saving. I almost leaped into buying my own maintenance business but never got enough courage up. The Pell Grants were there and I received a BA instead, which is one of the only positives of my life of the past 6 years. It's crazy how fast money can disappear when gas hits $4 and everything you see and do rises exponentially every year. A few mistakes here and there and it's gone.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I'm going to contact the Gospel Mission here in a day or two. I believe that is the first place I will wind up. Then again I hear that place is wicked hard to get into, much less when it is 5 degrees outside in February. Not sure honestly if I will even live through the Winter if it is in my car. Oh well. Obviously people probably wonder here how I am in this position but I don't feel like this is the time for me to get into that.
There are a number of places on that list that will give you an actual room through a "pay-for-stay" arrangement. Some will charge by the night, others for the month (which tops out around $350 I believe). They will have services onsite to try and help you get back on your feet if you want to access them as well. You don't need to sign a lease or pass all of the rental checks to my knowledge, and if you have a few thousand saved up, I'm not sure why you'd live in your car or try and brave winter without housing. Regarding your car breaking down, if that happens there is public transportation, and some organizations will help people out with bus cards if they have a need.

There are also a number of organizations that help people locate employment opportunities here in the metro- DM me if you want me to provide some referrals for you. You're in a much better position than most homeless persons by actually having a few thousand to your name- this should allow you some time to live meagerly while you work to get back on your feet.

I'm not trying to pry into your business or make assumptions about you- but it sounds like there's been some sort of extenuating circumstances that have gotten you to the place you are in. I don't know your situation, but like someone else said, now might be the time to lose pride and admit that you need help- whether that's just help finding a place to stay, getting a job, or (if applicable) getting into a treatment or counseling program- whatever might be the case (and I'm not asking to 'know' what the case is), there are people and resources willing to give a hand out there if you're willing to actively seek them out.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
There are a number of places on that list that will give you an actual room through a "pay-for-stay" arrangement. Some will charge by the night, others for the month (which tops out around $350 I believe). They will have services onsite to try and help you get back on your feet if you want to access them as well. You don't need to sign a lease or pass all of the rental checks to my knowledge, and if you have a few thousand saved up, I'm not sure why you'd live in your car or try and brave winter without housing. Regarding your car breaking down, if that happens there is public transportation, and some organizations will help people out with bus cards if they have a need.

There are also a number of organizations that help people locate employment opportunities here in the metro- DM me if you want me to provide some referrals for you. You're in a much better position than most homeless persons by actually having a few thousand to your name- this should allow you some time to live meagerly while you work to get back on your feet.

I'm not trying to pry into your business or make assumptions about you- but it sounds like there's been some sort of extenuating circumstances that have gotten you to the place you are in. I don't know your situation, but like someone else said, now might be the time to lose pride and admit that you need help- whether that's just help finding a place to stay, getting a job, or (if applicable) getting into a treatment or counseling program- whatever might be the case (and I'm not asking to 'know' what the case is), there are people and resources willing to give a hand out there if you're willing to actively seek them out.
There are a number of factors that led me to this point. Depression, social phobia, chemical dependency and the loss of my significant other a couple years ago which pretty much devastated me. The chemical dependency is now a pretty big factor, which I know many here will say now I am a POS that deserves this. I don't want sympathy or anything just happy that people have given me some ideas here, which is what I was looking for. The social phobia is pretty bad, which I don't expect anyone to understand either. The depression, well I've had that since as far as I can remember, and I have persistent passive suicidal thoughts. I was on meds through GAMC but I stopped due to side effects and premiums.

In a nutshell I've worn my welcome out with the folks and I believe they gave me a week. They will keep my belongings in good order it's just it's time for me to check out, so to speak. After laying that all down on you I would not expect anything from anyone here, but just know I have never been a violent person or confrontational and aside from a DUI 2004 I have no record. I could go on about my siblings, but let's just say one won't deal with me anymore and the other is in Europe.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
What about checking into a residential treatment program? That would help with a number of your problems?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What about checking into a residential treatment program? That would help with a number of your problems?
That's why I am leaving. I was given an ultimatum Teen Challenge or the road. I've been to treatment two times. I am too shy to deal with all the group stuff. This is where you will probably say to hell with me, and I can understand that, but I can't get into my feelings about treatment. Simply put it is not my thing.

This may change. I may get the social services I need and a program I like (as opposed to the others), but right now I just want a job and a place. I need to weather the storm and get good employment and then an apartment, lord willing.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 PM

I just wanted to share this article:

Homeless People Living in Cars Try to Keep It Secret - New York Times

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...963454,00.html

I have a plethora of resources on the Net, and I've just found a homeless forum I am about to join to join in the discussions.

The comments here have been courteous and understanding. I thank you all for not ripping on me.

Last edited by Govie; 08-16-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM

It looks like after reading the articles the car thingy is a pretty big pickle. I am going to have to really think this one over. I think I may be sleek enough to sneak around until Winter comes, but then...

Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM

398 posts, read 993,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
There are a number of factors that led me to this point. Depression, social phobia, chemical dependency and the loss of my significant other a couple years ago which pretty much devastated me. The chemical dependency is now a pretty big factor, which I know many here will say now I am a POS that deserves this. I don't want sympathy or anything just happy that people have given me some ideas here, which is what I was looking for. The social phobia is pretty bad, which I don't expect anyone to understand either. The depression, well I've had that since as far as I can remember, and I have persistent passive suicidal thoughts. I was on meds through GAMC but I stopped due to side effects and premiums.

In a nutshell I've worn my welcome out with the folks and I believe they gave me a week. They will keep my belongings in good order it's just it's time for me to check out, so to speak. After laying that all down on you I would not expect anything from anyone here, but just know I have never been a violent person or confrontational and aside from a DUI 2004 I have no record. I could go on about my siblings, but let's just say one won't deal with me anymore and the other is in Europe.
Really sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are in a very bad situation. You are getting kicked out of your parents' house and you have one week to figure out what to do? I hope that you do not actually end up living in your car. It sounds like what you need is a job so that you can afford to have your own apartment. I know it is hard to get a job. I hope that you can figure it out before you are forced to live in your car. I tried sleeping in my car once, it was very uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul