Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,786 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, new member here. I am a single 27 y/o m currently living in Milwaukee, WI (born and raised). I have been going through a lot of the posts here and have been trying to soak up as much as I can about MPLS seeing as how I am not very familiar with the area. I am currently considering an employment position at Abbott Northwestern Hospital and am just looking for some advice/opinions. Any input is much appreciated.
1) What's your take on ANH? What's the hospital's reputation like around town vs. its competition? I am under the impression that it is in a rough neighborhood (correct me if i'm wrong?). Is this anything I should be concerned about? Milwaukee has plenty of crime/bad neighborhoods, so it's not something I'm overly concerned about/dealt with, but being unfamiliar with the area can be a little worrisome. I just don't necessarily want to wind up working in the projects, and have to look over my shoulder/pack heat to work everyday, lol.
2) Any input on places to seek housing? I will be renting with a budget around $1000, preferably more in the $800 range. I'd prefer to live closer to DT rather than out in the suburbs, and keep my commute time minimal (less than 15-20 min?). I would like to be in an area near some city/nightlife, however not necessarily in college-town/drunk-21-year-old central. Right now I'm liking the sound of Uptown and maybe St. Anthony? I've heard to avoid the Northside(crime), and most likely in my case Dinkytown(college party)? Any other suggestions/places to avoid? I know the places i mentioned are close to DT, but would be willing to go out a little further if there is something else that fits most of the other criteria. I know crime can happen anywhere, but I'd prefer to not get car-jacked/pistol-whipped walking out my front door.
Anyways, thanks for your time and any input you have, and for all the other great info on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 05:41 AM

332 posts, read 822,250 times
You will be fine working at Abbott. They have security out to the parking ramps there. I wouldn't venture too far off of the hospital area at night though. I think living downtown is a great idea. Not sure if it is in your budget but Laurel Village is really nice. You can negotiate rent prices at some places.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
I believe the area around ANW used to be a lot worse and it still is in a pretty rough area of town, but I have heard that things are much better than in the past. You certainly will be able to walk around without being stabbed, but you should use caution if you're in that area at night (though you can drive through that area any time of the day).

As for areas that you're looking for, all of those sound like good options. I think typically Uptown is declared the near hands-down winner for things to do at pretty much all hours of the day, and it is a fairly young, vibrant area (though it's also filled with many families, older people, etc). If you've got a car, though, parking can be tight, especially in the winter. So you'd definitely want to look for a place that has off-street parking available.

The Warehouse district of downtown might some options for you as well, though you'll likely find only a few places within your targeted budget (perhaps more with your $1000 limit). It gets quite a bit of activity during Twins games and it's definitely a cool area of downtown. However, I think you'll find that downtown is a bit dead at night except for restaurants and bars and nearby shopping tends to be a little limited (though there are some nice places in the Warehouse District area).

Northeast is another option you mentioned. If you're looking for proximity to your job, you'd be closest by staying by the river, but many of these options are expensive. The Northeast areas near the river that aren't as expensive (which is technically Southeast Minneapolis, but that's not particularly relevant to this) are the start of student housing, so you'll probably have some partying. That neighborhood is Marcy-Holmes. However, it's much quieter than other areas near campus (Dinkytown in particular, but also apparently Como) and you'd have excellent access to the bar/nightlife scene near the river, downtown, and other amenities.

You might also want to check out Loring Park, another part of downtown. Rents can be a little expensive in the area, but it would put you on the correct side of downtown to ANW. I've found that when I've had to drive from near campus to the Uptown area, about half of my driving was sitting in traffic downtown. It's not that traffic is bad, but I found the lights on Hennepin to be rather poorly planned where you can sometimes hit a stop on every block.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,786 times
Thank you both for your response. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I really appreciate it!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Unfortunately, both Uptown and Downtown neighborhoods are likely too expensive for even a $1,000/mo. budget nowadays......at least if you want to be in the heart of the "action". If you'd be willing to "buddy up" with a stranger or two in an older home in say, Uptown, you'll have much better chances of getting a good place that is CLOSE to things.

Crime on the Northside is not quite comparable to Milwaukee's Northside, at least not even close in terms of scale. You should be okay, depending on how accustomed you are to urban experiences (barring a better term).

Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
You can easily find a nice 1-BR in Uptown for well under $1,000. $800 limits it more, but there's still some good options if you're a bit flexible. If you don't mind an ugly 1970s building there are even some 1-BRs in the $700s. Just remember to ask about parking: if it's available, and if so, if there's a fee. It doesn't matter in some parts of Uptown (maybe not guaranteed right out in front your house, but probably within a few buildings or so), but it can very tight in some areas/blocks, especially during the winter. North of Lake generally has the tightest Uptown-area parking, with most parts of ECCO and CARAG (to the south of Lake) generally much easier.

Given your work location, I think Uptown or downtown/Loring Park make a lot of sense, with Uptown probably being the best fit (although admittedly I am biased!). Also love NE, but might as well put yourself closer to work.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,835 times
ANW has a great reputation in the Cities from a patient perspective. I'm not sure what it's like for employees. It is definitely in a rough, very urban neighborhood that changes dramatically at night. That said, I've never been afraid of the area at night, but I probably wouldn't walk far alone after dark.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Unfortunately, both Uptown and Downtown neighborhoods are likely too expensive for even a $1,000/mo. budget nowadays......at least if you want to be in the heart of the "action". If you'd be willing to "buddy up" with a stranger or two in an older home in say, Uptown, you'll have much better chances of getting a good place that is CLOSE to things.

Crime on the Northside is not quite comparable to Milwaukee's Northside, at least not even close in terms of scale. You should be okay, depending on how accustomed you are to urban experiences (barring a better term).
Uptown has quite a few places that are pretty close to Hennepin and Lake and well under $1000. No, they're not the brand-spanking-new ones, but I've seen some brownstones with 1-bedroom layouts in the mid $700s, within easy walking distance of the heart of Uptown (even a few pretty close like on Lagoon or nearby!). The pictures they showed seemed to look pretty decent, too. Obviously you wouldn't be able to judge completely from a Craigslist ad or something similar, but I don't see an issue with $800 in the Uptown area.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,871 times
No they aren't. I live in loring park with a great view of the park and the downtown skyline for under 1000. You won't always find a huge space for the money, but there is plenty to be had in the Loring park area or Uptown.

Just moved here in the summer, and the Loring area has been great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post

Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 AM

54 posts, read 277,574 times
Honestly, people (not you, but some of the responders) are just cramming personal bias into a reply under the guise that they have a clue what they're talking about. I guarantee you you couldn't get them to give you a ride to Abbott without them asking for directions 10 times. Are you a grown man? Do you mind your own business? Are you an employee of the hospital? Then you will be fine. Why we live in a society where there is a constant fear of something that very, very rarely happens is beyond me. If you keep to yourself, and don't go out looking for drugs, or problems, very rarely, do white males have problems in the innercity (I say white because sometimes black youths are confused if wearing wrong colors etc.). Plus, you'll have a parking ramp with security. But jesus, the constant state of fear some of you must live in must be the reason so many people die of heart disease. How do you even sleep without waking up in a cold sweat at the sound of anything? Minneapolis by and large is one of the safest bigger cities in the country, despite what local right wing radio wants you to believe. It's October and we've had what, 20 murders? Stop perpetuating nonsense that lowers home values and ruins businesses because the loudest, most vocal "tough guys" all fled to the exurbs and loaded up on guns because... they're so tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: