Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 PM

82 posts, read 173,579 times

Advertisements

I've many times imagined how cool it would be to have all the downtown buildings from St. Paul alongside the East bank of the river around St. Anthony Main, Nyes, The Falls/Pinnacle building area etc...It would really be a dominating skyline and really only be smaller than a few cities in the country...I'd imagine if Dallas and Ft. Worth combined downtowns, it would be somewhat similar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:55 PM

17 posts, read 46,165 times
I love the Twin Cities the way it is. It is what makes Minneapolis-St. Paul unique!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:07 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Pierre Bottineau founded both cities. It was part of a lifetime of building trading posts on the river from south to north. At the time he set up the posts, they were MILES from each other. What happened was an infilling, but during that process, I think a rivalry developed that insured they'd never be one city.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Pierre Bottineau founded both cities. It was part of a lifetime of building trading posts on the river from south to north. At the time he set up the posts, they were MILES from each other. What happened was an infilling, but during that process, I think a rivalry developed that insured they'd never be one city.
The only rivalry that really exists is when St Paul residents get mad at the national media when they refer to St Paul as Minneapolis.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM

24 posts, read 35,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
The only rivalry that really exists is when St Paul residents get mad at the national media when they refer to St Paul as Minneapolis.
Historically, Beenhere4ever is correct. There was, for a long time, a heated rivalry. For example, "The 1890 United States Census led to the two cities arresting and/or kidnapping each other's census takers, in an attempt to keep either city from outgrowing the other." There are numerous other examples.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times
Based upon two photos I took some years ago, this is what the combined skylines would look like:

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
I do wonder why two cities very close to eachother became very large. Why was Minneapolis almost always been above St. Paul? Why did people even decide to settle 10 miles west in Minneapolis?

If it's because of river transportation, then why didn't Hastings and Stillwater explode, and become the Twin Cities?

They probably wouldn't combine the St. with something unholy or not a saint. It would probably be something of an old importance. I would think Minnehaha or Sibley would be more fitting. Then again, those cities could also have been called Hastings or just kept the name St. Paul since it was founded first.
The flour mills and food companies of Minneapolis employed a phenomenal number of people in its early years. General Mills, Pillsbury, Cargill, and Gold Medal all drew people to Minneapolis then. The Dayton's department store, which would later become the Target Corporation, also was influential. The University of Minnesota having the majority of its campus in Minneapolis was another factor. In the post World War 2 era, the computer firms Control Data and Honeywell were influential in Minneapolis' growth as well.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:29 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Based upon two photos I took some years ago, this is what the combined skylines would look like:
Amazeballs.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,553 times
Fun to think about. When I was growing up there I was always annoyed that the Twin Cities were obviously so big but were always listed behind places like Omaha and Tucson in individual city population.

On the other hand I kind of like the divide. It's one of those historical accidents that adds a nice layer of weirdness and uniqueness. Kind of a smaller version of SF-Oakland or Manhattan-Brooklyn. Both cities are deeply connected but able to maintain individual identities. If I would change anything I'd make both cities more accessible to everyone with better transit and cycling. The cities are so close together but also very big, especially if you don't have a car. I lived in Minneapolis for years but now that I live elsewhere I kind of wish I'd explored St. Paul more.

I'd also retrofit/urbanize the suburbs, but that's another story..

Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
This thread is fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul