Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM

120 posts, read 209,510 times

Advertisements

Uptown is party of the city, but it is so far removed from the city that it sometimes feels separate. It's a bit trendy with a younger feel to it, but much more urban than St. Louis park with more amenities. As someone above posted, it has grocery stores and a few nice bars and restaurants. There are also decent theaters. Obviously the best restaurants, theaters, etc. are all downtown, but uptown can still be a fantastic alternative to a night out in the city, and if you live there, everything is nearby.

I also think most places are dog friendly. The luxury buildings downtown aren't always pet friendly (I think Skyscape and Grant Park are pet friendly with dog parks nearby, but I don't know about the Carlisle. Definitely some places in the warehouse district are pet friendly.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,806,331 times
I'm still not clear on if you're talking about Uptown or not -- by "city" do you mean strictly downtown central business district? If so, yes, it definitely feels separate, as it is a neighborhood, not downtown.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

319 posts, read 530,826 times
There's more to "the city" than the CBD. Part of what makes uptown so great is it's the only truly urban neighborhood outside of downtown in a lot of ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Obviously the best restaurants, theaters, etc. are all downtown
Obviously

Yes, most of the top-of-the-top-of-the-line fine dine dinning (read: most expensive) is downtown, but "best" is a subjective term. You might give Lucia's a try if you're looking for something great in uptown, for example.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,040,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Uptown is party of the city, but it is so far removed from the city that it sometimes feels separate. It's a bit trendy with a younger feel to it, but much more urban than St. Louis park with more amenities. As someone above posted, it has grocery stores and a few nice bars and restaurants. There are also decent theaters. Obviously the best restaurants, theaters, etc. are all downtown, but uptown can still be a fantastic alternative to a night out in the city, and if you live there, everything is nearby.

I also think most places are dog friendly. The luxury buildings downtown aren't always pet friendly (I think Skyscape and Grant Park are pet friendly with dog parks nearby, but I don't know about the Carlisle. Definitely some places in the warehouse district are pet friendly.)
If you're referring to downtown, then yes, it's not downtown. But to say it's "so far removed from the city", it's just silly. Like others have said, it's not the CBD, but it's just south of there. I take a slightly liberal view of what to call uptown (I prefer to think of it as an "Uptown influence area", which starts really pretty much right south of 94 in places like the Wedge and works it way south of the core (though I think it dies off quicker that direction simply because it's less urban much quicker).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul