Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 PM

110 posts, read 261,554 times

Advertisements

Could somebody give me some references or feedback regarding different Edina neighborhoods. I'm looking for pluses and minuses within the city--however, finding information distinguishing the neighborhoods has been hard to find.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
I lived there for almost 10 years, so I could help you (a bit....my knowledge on n'hoods is minimal). I lived on the East side of Hwy. 100, which IMO, separates Edina from the sprawly, newer, less interesting, RICHER (if you can believe it!), and very suburban side of town (West) from the opposite of that: older, "old money", historic, "semi urban", and somewhat-still-on-the-street-grid. side of town (East). The key n'hoods on the West side include Interlachen and Indian Hills, which are the most elite n'hoods in Edina, as well as the other, more modest, n'hoods between Vernon Ave and Hwy. 62. Most of my friends and I lived on the East side in areas near Country Club, the Halifax area (near 50th & France) and the area near Hwy. 62 between France Ave and Xerxes Ave. I personally prefer these areas because, again, they are a bit more interesting, historic, beautiful, semi-urban, and accessible than the counterparts on the West side. HOWEVER (big disclaimer), NONE of these areas are inexpensive, and even a 1500 sf bungalow in Edina can run upwards of $400K or so, so try not to be shocked by the sticker prices!

Hope that helps some!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM

42 posts, read 146,057 times
I grew up in Edina and my brothers and sisters currently reside in different parts of it.

The neighborhoods are nice and wealthy for the most part.

My brother lives a few blocks west of the popular 50th and France hub. A nice family orientated area with access to parks, churches, and relatively close highway access (HWY 100). I think my brother's neighborhood is comprised mainly of renovated 1900's houses.

South of 50th and France, you will find more affordable housing (compared to above) and closer access to areas like Southdale Mall and highway access (HWY 62).

My sister lives near HWY 62 and Tracey Ave (southwest of 50th and France). Friendly neighborhoods and well priced housing for the area. Its very close to Edina High School and Valley View Middle School. Lots of parks in the area. IMO, would be good for a young family.

@ndy

Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Does anybody know where I can locate a map of all the neighborhoods in edina?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
Does anybody know where I can locate a map of all the neighborhoods in edina?
Many areas of Edina might not have formal neighborhood or subdivision names. That was true of Minnetonka, anyway, and both suburbs have a lot of older neighborhoods (not super old, but 50's and 60's).

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many areas of Edina might not have formal neighborhood or subdivision names. That was true of Minnetonka, anyway, and both suburbs have a lot of older neighborhoods (not super old, but 50's and 60's).
I'm not an Edina resident, but I believe you are right. There are certainly some neighborhoods in Edina with formal names and boundaries (and websites and active neighborhood organizations), but I don't think all areas do.

ETA: just found this article on the Star Tribune on this very topic: http://www.startribune.com/local/west/137858168.html

looks like if all goes as planned everyone in Edina will have a formal neighborhood by the end of the year.

One other thing I meant to add earlier (although not related to the map): another potential issue for Edina neighborhoods is that the Edina School District does not fall neatly along city boundaries. The area around Centennial Lakes, for example, is (I believe) in Richfield district. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Edina isn't a place where you have to worry about "neighborhoods" like you do in Minneapolis. Just don't buy a house that is on or backs up to a busy road and you will be fine.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Edina isn't a place where you have to worry about "neighborhoods" like you do in Minneapolis. Just don't buy a house that is on or backs up to a busy road and you will be fine.
What does this have to do with anything? The poster didn't ask about Minneapolis. He (she?) asked about EDINA. Any "bad" neighborhoods in Minneapolis or in, say, Rosemount are irrelevant (which is what I'm assuming you're trying to get at? Or are you under the misapprehension that all neighborhoods in Edina are identical in feeling, location, amenities, price, schools, and charm??)

FWIW, there are some neighborhoods I like very much in Edina, and some neighborhoods that you couldn't pay me enough to live in. I'm sure many others feel the same way -- people who like neighborhood X may very well absolutely hate neighborhood Y (I strongly dislike Indian Hills, for example, but think Morningside very nice). It's not one monolithic place; there ARE neighborhoods, and they do have differences.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
What does this have to do with anything? The poster didn't ask about Minneapolis. He (she?) asked about EDINA. Any "bad" neighborhoods in Minneapolis or in, say, Rosemount are irrelevant (which is what I'm assuming you're trying to get at? Or are you under the misapprehension that all neighborhoods in Edina are identical in feeling, location, amenities, price, schools, and charm??)

FWIW, there are some neighborhoods I like very much in Edina, and some neighborhoods that you couldn't pay me enough to live in. I'm sure many others feel the same way -- people who like neighborhood X may very well absolutely hate neighborhood Y (I strongly dislike Indian Hills, for example, but think Morningside very nice). It's not one monolithic place; there ARE neighborhoods, and they do have differences.
Oh stop being so defensive. Yes, I was trying to point out that there aren't any "bad" neighborhoods in Edina. There is nothing wrong with that. I am sure the OP is thinking along the same lines as well. Personal choice is quite different and it's pretty hard to judge that by the name on a sign until you actually drive through a neighborhood. No where in Edina are you going to have to worry about gangs breaking into your house or shooting a kid down the street. In Minneapolis, that is a concern in some areas.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks uptown_urbanist for you're response. I am just looking for different vibes and characteristics of edina. There is stereotypes of Edina. White--check. Safe--check. I understand that. But, I'm just trying to figure out where neighborhoods are at; and what they're identity is.

Example - people talk about Interlachen and Indian Hills. Literally have no idea where Indian Hills would be. Interlachen--does that include everything off of Interlachen?

When I get wide answers such as - "everything in edina is nice" or "why would you live in Edina not Minneapolis" doesn't help me in any capacity. I'm sure there are others that would be interested in it, too. I'm trying to turn Edina into one big city into different smaller identities--which I'm sure there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul