Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about building in Lakeville. We think we have a good idea for what is happening in the areas; however, we are still trying to shirk off concerns. We are moving from the Mac Groveland neighborhood - and giving up great city living for a larger suburban home.

Does anyone have any detailed information about the best areas to live in Lakeville? In posts that I searched, I kept reading "Anywhere in Lakeville is Great"; however, I am looking for someone who has a differing opinion.

We are looking at building at Donnelly Farms; does anyone know any history of the specific area (i.e. how long they have been building)?

Do some schools within the area seem to shine above others? Now that the high school has split, is there a mad race to get kids into the new high school?

Does anyone have knowledge about the current status of neighborhoods that were developed twenty years ago?

My wife and I currently have no kids, but are planning for up to four - education is probably our number one issue.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
The Lakeville schools are all good. There isn't one that stands out above the others. Some people think that a "new" building equals a better education so there was some scrambling to get into Lakeville South but honestly, there is no difference between the two academically. That development is in a nice location, easy access to stores, shopping, downtown Lakeville, etc. The biggest concern is funding for the schools there. Everywhere in MN there are funding issues but Lakeville has more of an issue. Lakeville grew really fast, had to build a LOT of new schools and taxes are high. Increases in operating referendums have been voted down for the past several years and programs have been cut and it's very expensive to participate in activities. Now, in 18 years or so when your kids are in high school that can all change so I woudln't worry too much about that now.

Lakeville is a very pretty area, lots of heavily wooded lots, rolling hills, etc. but also a nice mix of open land, farm land, etc. My biggest grip with Lakeville is limited access to commuting routes. You are really stuck with driving up and down 35W unless you live close enough to Cedar Ave to make that work.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM

13 posts, read 57,050 times
Lakeville is nice, but the Donnelly Farms development looks like an island. Your neighborhood will be crammed between the High School, a strip mall, a megachurch campus, and cornfields. You'll have nice rolling hills, but no trees. The nearest park, Antlers, has been a pit for a while (Lake Marion floods somewhat regularly). If you commute, most of your time will be spent trying to navigate the local intersections to get to either 35W or Cedar, rather then on the freeways themselves.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehler View Post
Lakeville is nice, but the Donnelly Farms development looks like an island. Your neighborhood will be crammed between the High School, a strip mall, a megachurch campus, and cornfields. You'll have nice rolling hills, but no trees. The nearest park, Antlers, has been a pit for a while (Lake Marion floods somewhat regularly). If you commute, most of your time will be spent trying to navigate the local intersections to get to either 35W or Cedar, rather then on the freeways themselves.
There are 6 other parks near that development that aren't by the lake. I guess I don't see that as a problem. Also, a hop up Kenwood to 185 and you are on 35W. It's a pretty good location actually. Yes, it is a newer development built on old farm land so not much for trees but across the road and all around there are a lot of trees. That area also sits up some so you could end up with a great view depending on the lot you get.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM

13 posts, read 57,050 times
There are other parks, sure. And Donnelly Farms is about equally close to Aronson as to Antlers, and Aronson isn't as poorly maintained as Antlers. Either one is a reach if you wanted to push a stroller to it, though.

And hopping from Kenwood to 35W isn't a problem, but making a left turn onto Dodd from your local street is.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
I grew up with the Donnelly's in Farmington (my Dad was also a farmer). I can not think of a reason to not build on their land.
It will be kind of a cultural shock for you from MacGroveland to Lakeville. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I grew up with the Donnelly's in Farmington (my Dad was also a farmer). I can not think of a reason to not build on their land other than Farmington is just a couple of miles away and is plagued with foreclosed homes so I think this could possibly affect your value in the future.

It will be kind of a cultural shock for you from MacGroveland to Lakeville. Good luck.
That development is right across from Lakeville North high school, just up the road from one of the central shopping areas in Lakeville and not far from the huge Lifetime Fitness. It's about a 5 minute drive to Target, Marshalls, etc. on 185th/35W. It's actually a really convenient location for Lakeville I think.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Yes, I edited when I realized I was thinking of the wrong spot. I was thinking this was over by Cedar and Hwy 50. Completely different spot. My daughter and her husband just bought an older house in the area where Donnelly Farms is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul