Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

You'll come to find that the most dangerous drivers out there on the icy/snowy roads are those people who have "all terrain" cars/trucks, or 4WD's with snow tires, or any other excuse why they don't need to be as cautious driving their car or slowing down without speed limit postings telling you to do so. These are the people I seem to most frequently see in the ditches! (not that snow tires or 4WD is dangerous itself, it's the perception that it makes your car full-proof against the elements).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Interesting reading this same person's threads on the DC forum and the Minneapolis forum. The Minneapolis folks were much more booster-ish about selling their city and its merits while the DC folks seemed a lot more objective about the relative pros and cons of the two cities. I don't know what that means, just interesting how both sides shook out so differently. Also funny how this thread devolved into a conversation about snow tires.

I think there's some exaggeration about salary and cost of living in DC. While $50k isn't going to go as far by any means, many, many people live in the middle of DC or nearby satellite cities on that salary or far less and live very vibrant lives. This is especially true for someone without debt, as I believe the OP is. People live more urban lives on the east coast where a big house, a car, and other such conventional desires are not as valued nearly as much as having less physical space but being able to walk / bike / subway more easily. Hardly anyone I know even owns a car anymore because of the proliferation of car sharing, bike sharing, and other modes. To get the 3-car garage lifestyle in DC is exorbitantly expensive in comparison unless you accept a very looong commute, but to live a compact city life is doable on that salary.

I'm not trolling - just observing. I recommended the OP seriously consider Minneapolis over DC in the other thread.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
I still vote for DC.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
Default Minneapolis or bust

I am moving to Minneapolis from NYC. I lived near D.C. for a year and I have some friends there so I have visited regularly over the years. To me the city doesn't have much to offer. It is full of transients who are working in government. Those without huge bank accounts are priced out of the nicer areas, the performing arts scene is fairly ho hum although there is a lot to be said for the museums. Then again that's certainly not a reason to live there. I grew up in NYC-NJ area and lived in Manhattan for years. I don't find DC to be a good substitute for an urbanite lifestyle. The social scene seems dry and you can tell by the lack of style there. People walking the streets wear pastel colored golf shirts and khakis and all the stores sell those kinds of clothes as well. I am moving to Minneapolis because there's more of an indigenous, genuine and gritty style to it. I'm talking about biergartens with bratwurst, listening to polka accordion grinders or hanging with some midwest hipsters, genuine midwest hospitality, weekends at a lakeside cabin drinking local beer by a campfire, living in a decent sized apartment or townhome for a decent price . . and best of all -- relief from the overwhelming traffic. I was a limo driver in NYC and I find DC to be almost as bad as the traffic there. OK not that bad, but nasty traffic nonetheless. If you like the beach you will not have that in MN, but in DC you still have a 3hr drive to Ocean City -- not exactly close. DC has Georgetown, but MN has U of MN. A very good school. Actually, the more I have looked into it, Minneapolis seems to be a best kept secret, so I kind of hope more people fall into the trap of the popular notion that the Coasts are the best -- I think the Coastal cities are overrated due to the high rent, high crime, excrutiating traffic, high unemployment, high lay-offs and low payoffs. That's just one man's opinion.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Not to nitpick, but there ARE beaches in Minneapolis.....LOTS of them, actually. But no, none will have surfing as an option, and none are going to be miles long. People can and do go to the beach for the day in this area like they do along the coasts.....it's just a slightly different experience.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM

319 posts, read 528,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Not to nitpick, but there ARE beaches in Minneapolis.....LOTS of them, actually. But no, none will have surfing as an option, and none are going to be miles long. People can and do go to the beach for the day in this area like they do along the coasts.....it's just a slightly different experience.
No ocean = no beach

If you're talking to someone from one of the coasts, don't try to pass off a lake as a beach.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
No ocean = no beach

If you're talking to someone from one of the coasts, don't try to pass off a lake as a beach.
But I just did....I think he'll be okay, is what I'm saying.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
If you wanna go surfing, just drive "up north"... You can find surfing and curling in the same city.

Superior Surf Club

Surfing Lake Superior during leap year blizzard 2012 - CNN iReport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul