Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,508 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to the Twin Cities, and have been researching the schools as my kid's education is a very high priority as to where we will settle. I have heard from a Minneapolis resident that it is the norm for good students to be placed in bad schools to prop up the school, but it does not work that way in St. Paul. I would like to know just how true this allegation is . Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,435 times
I have never heard that allegation and can not believe it is in any way accurate.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Seems highly unlikely to me...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
This is completely untrue. In Minneapolis, you have some ability to choose which school your child attends. I do not know how St. Paul works, but you can get info about MPS here.
2012-13 School Choice Center
Also, you are not limited to the school district in which you reside, but may choose another district, depending on availability. In both cases, transportation options may be limited.

I'm sorry you were given such bad information, but on the bright side, you now know to ignore what this person says.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,343,321 times
No, that doesn't make any sense. My kids go to Schools in SW Mpls and really enjoy it.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanlinnea View Post
I am planning a move to the Twin Cities, and have been researching the schools as my kid's education is a very high priority as to where we will settle. I have heard from a Minneapolis resident that it is the norm for good students to be placed in bad schools to prop up the school, but it does not work that way in St. Paul. I would like to know just how true this allegation is . Thank you!
Sounds like someone is having fun at your expense, or wants you to move to St. Paul. Never heard of such a thing.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Sounds like a suburban legend to me...

Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
My kids go to school in St Paul & you will be asked to fill out a wish-list form ranking your #1, #2 & #3 schools. You can apply to any magnet, Montessori or charter school you wish & IF they have space they'll take you. If not, then you default to your local, neighborhood school regardless of your color, social class or how good the school is or isn't. St. Paul is full of wonderful options if you live in the Western District (i.e. West of Downtown). We listed #1. JJ Hill Montessori which is 2 blocks from us but we didn't get in, which brought us to our two default, neighborhood schools Randolph Heights & Groveland Park. Both had great reputations so we were excited that our worst case scenario was pretty rosy looking. We chose Randolph Heights as our #2 based mainly on their GreatSchools.Org ranking of '9' (out of '10') as opposed to Groveland Park's '7' (out of '10') ranking. It was full also so we are at Groveland Park & feel pretty fortunate to live in an area where our #3 choice is a Minnesota '7'. I'd be happy to answer questions you have about specific schools in St Paul or the process having gone through it just last fall.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanlinnea View Post
No, absolutely not true.

It used to be, however, that a student in one school zone had a decent shot at getting into a high school choice outside of that zone (i.e. attend South High School instead of the locally zoned Roosevelt -- there's been a lot of internet buzz about this on a Minneapolis parent email group lately), but these days you can't count on that. In other words, don't move to a neighborhood with a school that you don't like. I believe that's due to space issues, not to "prop up" the schools with lesser reputations, although I'm sure the district hopes that the parents will choose the local option and, in the process, those kids (and the kids who actively try to pick a school, rather than just automatically go the default route, probably are a self-selected group of students and families who would be a positive for the school) will make it better. In any case, it wasn't all that long ago that it was fairly easy (high school level, anyway) to go to a school outside of your zoned school if you didn't like the local option, but that has become far more difficult.

With elementary schools you have more options, as there are more magnets and things to choose from. But for high schools, better live in the zone that is home to the school that you like. But absolutely no need to worry that your kid zoned for Southwest is going to be sent across the city to boost scores at Roosevelt.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Maybe she is thinking about what is going in in Eden Prairie since that is what they are doing in their district....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul